LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Recommendations for new(to me) LS 400

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-02, 09:52 PM
dtrosch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recommendations for new(to me) LS 400

I am thinking of changing jobs, and will be unlikely to park my tall truck at my new job (underground garage). I am therefore thinking of adding another car to commute in. The 95-97 LS 400s have caught my eye, and I have been starting to price them over the internet.

I have a few questions based on my browsing of the forums, and I hope someone has the patience to point me in the right direction...

Do the 95+ models all have the CFC free AC, or is there a changeover later?

I see a number of posts in the suspension section regarding the air suspension. It seems the AS has a nicer ride, but is more prone to needing repair/replacement of the air struts. Are the springs that bad in the regular suspension? Is this a major trouble spot I should be wary of?

Are there any special models of LS 400 in the 95-97 years (special edition, etc) and what major options are around?

Is there anything I should be looking for as trouble areas for these years?

I am sure I will have more questions, but I want to keep it short for now. And thanks in advance for any responses...
Old 12-28-02, 01:13 AM
JWC83
Driver School Candidate

CFC Free air conditioning was added in 1993, so you don't have anything to worry about.

My Lexus (1992) does not have air suspension, but it has a magnificent ride. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I don't know of any special editions, but I would make sure your LS400 has the memory seat system and sunroof. I don't know if these are even options on the 1995+ cars, but they were in 1992. A Nakamichi sound system and heated seats would be nice, but they are not necessary, in my opinion.

Good luck finding your car! You'll enjoy it.
Old 12-28-02, 01:19 AM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the earlier models like 90-92 had problems with the rotors heating up and going bad.

90-94 LS's had 250hp and then bumped up to 260hp for the 95-97 LS's

95-97 LS's also had a Platinuim Edition, with special leather and wood I believe.

As for the air suspension, it might give you a better ride, but if you need repairs on it. The amount may reach into the thousand range.

The LS's are fine cars and if you find one that is well taken care of, then the car should last over 300k miles or more.

Last edited by LOTC; 12-28-02 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-28-02, 07:23 PM
dtrosch
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so why does everyone's profile say "Driver School Candidate"?

Newbe-
Old 12-29-02, 03:42 AM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Originally posted by dtrosch
Ok, so why does everyone's profile say "Driver School Candidate"?

Newbe-
As the post count increases the title of "Driver School Candidate" will become another title.
Old 12-29-02, 11:18 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to CL. You don't need air suspension the LS suspension is very good.
Get a late 95 to 97. The early production of 2nd gen LS 9/94-6/95 do have some issue with shift shock problem that will need the engine ECM, Cruise control ECU and spark plugs and very expensive.
Get the car check out at Lexus dealer before you buy it, cost around $80.00. They can look up all the service history that been done at Lexus dealer nationwide.
One special edition is Coach Edition . It's a great car and you'll love it.
Old 12-29-02, 12:31 PM
dtrosch
Driver School Candidate

Thanks VVT-i, E-Dogg, and JWC83.

I used a Ford Truck forum before buying my 2001 F-150 SuperCrew, and found the members there terrific and very knowledgeable. I also have had great success at a Suburban and Yukon site, if anyone is looking for a forum there. (I went with a SuperCrew and Cap rather than a Suburban at the time because of a $5K difference in price, but am having regrets. I am finding a 3rd row of seats would have been worth the price difference.)

So it sounds like about the first 9 months of the new body style production run has some potentially expensive electronics problems. I should look for one produced after 7/95 (which I assume can be found stamped on a data plate. Is it on the doorjamb?).

It seems like there is a platinum edition, which has special leather and wood, and a Coach Edition, which probably has coach leather and seems to be different paint (based on my e-bay research). The Coach Edition sure looked nice in Black, but I am not sure if I can justify a bump in price for what will be a daily driver into downtown DC and sure to get dings and scratches eventually.

Heated seats and a sunroof would be great, but it sounds like I might want to take a pass on the air suspension (if possible) due to higher repair costs if the system develops a leak.

A Nakamichi sound system and perhaps a navigation system seem to be the only other significant options around (not sure about the nav system years).

Thanks everyone for the info. You have helped me narrow things down a bit. Now all I need is that new job to come through (hopefully with a bump in $) so I can justify it to my accountant wife...
Old 12-29-02, 01:32 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Originally posted by dtrosch
Thanks VVT-i, E-Dogg, and JWC83.

I used a Ford Truck forum before buying my 2001 F-150 SuperCrew, and found the members there terrific and very knowledgeable. I also have had great success at a Suburban and Yukon site, if anyone is looking for a forum there. (I went with a SuperCrew and Cap rather than a Suburban at the time because of a $5K difference in price, but am having regrets. I am finding a 3rd row of seats would have been worth the price difference.)

So it sounds like about the first 9 months of the new body style production run has some potentially expensive electronics problems. I should look for one produced after 7/95 (which I assume can be found stamped on a data plate. Is it on the doorjamb?).

It seems like there is a platinum edition, which has special leather and wood, and a Coach Edition, which probably has coach leather and seems to be different paint (based on my e-bay research). The Coach Edition sure looked nice in Black, but I am not sure if I can justify a bump in price for what will be a daily driver into downtown DC and sure to get dings and scratches eventually.

Heated seats and a sunroof would be great, but it sounds like I might want to take a pass on the air suspension (if possible) due to higher repair costs if the system develops a leak.

A Nakamichi sound system and perhaps a navigation system seem to be the only other significant options around (not sure about the nav system years).

Thanks everyone for the info. You have helped me narrow things down a bit. Now all I need is that new job to come through (hopefully with a bump in $) so I can justify it to my accountant wife...
As for Navigation it was only available in 98-00 years and the Nakamichi was taken out for Mark L. sound system.

If you want you should save a little more for a 98-00 model which has the vvt-i engine with 290hp.
Old 12-29-02, 04:21 PM
JWC83
Driver School Candidate

The 1998+ models also have a wood steering wheel and shifter. These make the car have a much more luxurious appearance. However, I personally do not like the redesigned front of the 98 and newer models. It's your decision!
Old 12-29-02, 04:32 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

On the '98 - '00 models, the Nak option is not available with Nav. And I do prefer the front facia look of the '98 - '00 models over the previous models.... Not even close look-wise... Throw in the leather+wood shifter and wheel, the 290bhp vvti engine and you realize the better choice is at least the '98 and up model years...
Old 12-29-02, 04:46 PM
Lvangundy

90-00 Also added optional HID lights, and a newer body style. As mentioned, 290 HP and 300tq gives the car a quick 0-60 time of about 6.5 seconds. VVT-i improved power and gas mileage and a 5 speed automatic trasnmission was standard. The naviagation system was also optional.

1997 had a weak rear bumper as discovered by the highway safety crash test board.

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_rat...html/96031.htm

Any LS400 is a good choice.
Old 12-29-02, 07:24 PM
dtrosch
Driver School Candidate

I guess what I am narrowing towards is a 96, (possibly a Coach edition if I can find a deal). I would prefer Black, with the 5-spoke/opening wheels in silver. Either the grey or tan interior would be fine.

(I would also take grey, silver, green, or the blue but my preference is black. I'd like to stay away from the white or gold).

Sunroof, memory seats, heated (for the wife), Nakamichi and standard spring suspension would be the options to look for.

It seems like some are available in the 65-100K miles range. My ideal price would be under $15K, but I might have to look a while to find something near me for this price.

I agree that the upgrades of the 98-00 are significant, but I doubt I could find one for under $20-25K. Bumper damage aside, it looks like the rest of the safety data indicates that the passenger compartment is safe for the occupants in the 95-97. And I don’t mind the 95-7 headlight treatments.

Since my truck is only 3 years old, and I would keep it, I am going to have a tough sell to the wife regardless. For her, cars are point A to B only. I think I could swing a $15K 96, but probably could not get her to go for a $25K 98-00. Again, this is contingent on a new job coming through.

I just want to have my homework done so I can recognize a deal when I see one, and know what to stay away from.

Thanks again for all the responses. You guys are the greatest!
Old 01-03-03, 01:00 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

I have a '97 LS400 Coach Edition and it is a great car....Coach leather everywhere, wood/leather shift handle, coach floormats, the nicer 5-spoke wheels, and opal pearl white paint. I bought it used 2 years ago and have driven it approx 23K miles (@ 77K now) with no problems.

I believe the Coach Ed. comes in most if not all colors, including black. But I don't know if you can find a clean moderate miles '97 for $15K though.

If I were you, I'd stretch my budget if at all possible to get into a '98....the '98-00s have 30 more HP (290 vs 260), HID lights, wood grain wheel, and possibly NAV.

Good Luck.
Old 01-03-03, 01:26 PM
dtrosch
Driver School Candidate

It is amazing how many people are urging me to save for a 98. I guess the 30 extra horses, 5 speed, wood inside, bumper, and new headlights must be worth it. I have seen some 98s on EBay in Texas that can be bought for just under 20. It makes me wonder what is going on in Texas (Enron?).

I saw a real beauty yesterday (Black 98+, black leather interior). Perhaps I should wait...
Old 01-03-03, 04:04 PM
oac3
Rookie

Default perhaps you should wait

Prior to buying my '99, I test drove a '97 (Black/Black), a '98 (Silver/Gray) and a '99 (White/Tan). The difference in HP b/w the '97 and '98 is quite noticeable. The new VVT-i with 5-spd transmission engine from '98 and up, is also quite a huge difference.

Plus, my '99 comes with HID, heated seats and NAV options which are not available on the '97 or earlier models. The standard (from '99 and up) wood+leather shifter and wheel makes the LS a nice clean and upscale look (imo), over the earlier models....Even my friend with an '00 E320 is jealous that Merc doesn't even offer such nice, cool features in their high cost cars...

If you can truly stretch your budget, or perhaps, WAIT a while, you will do well to buy one of these late models.... And the way this economy is going, you should be able to get a great deal on off-lease '98, '99, or '00 on the cheap...

Good luck

Quick Reply: Recommendations for new(to me) LS 400