LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Failed Wheel Bearings....

Old 04-11-13, 01:35 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Failed Wheel Bearings....

My rear left wheel has been making noise for a little while that sounded like a squeak, thought my tire was rubbing on something but then I lifted the car and checked the wheel for play and WHOA!!!!! A lot of play, not driving it until I change both my rear bearings and rear left hub/spindle assembly. Now my question is had anyone ordered these before? The spindle/hub assembly I think I will try and get at a junkyard. But the bearings could be sourced online, I found rear wheel bearing at Partsgeek.com for $50 each from Beck/Arnley with what seems to have good reviews when locally I was being charged $200 + IF they were available. So for that price I figured Id do both instead of one and change them. I also thought since I slammed my car on coils then I might as well do the front lower ball joints... found them for about $50 each also by the same company on Partsgeek.com as well. Which other places have you guys ordered these if other than the Stealership and how much you guys paid/ as well as maybe a review on your brand bearings and lower ball joints, and your experience with them and how long/well the wheel bearing and ball joints have lasted. Let me know what you guys think ASAP I would like to order them today and have my car up and running again!
Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by djsurfer; 04-11-13 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-11-13, 06:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

why are you changing the spindle/carrier if you're replacing the bearing?

labor will suck more than parts on this one.
Old 04-11-13, 07:31 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

The know the OEM manufacturer of Toyota's bearing is Koyo, you might try those.
Old 04-11-13, 08:30 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
Hmmm I'm gonna look into those thanks!
Old 04-11-13, 08:33 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
why are you changing the spindle/carrier if you're replacing the bearing?

labor will suck more than parts on this one.
Because I am sure the spindle is done aswell as the bearing and no way i am leaving the old OEM bearing from a kunckle assembly off the junkyard from another 20+ year LS. Some of us don't need mechanics to do every single thing for our cars. Your input helped me in no way shape or form. Thanks anyways!

Last edited by djsurfer; 04-11-13 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-12-13, 02:20 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
do you know any other OEM's for sure that are not mentioned in my LS400 OEM's thread?
Old 04-12-13, 07:22 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by djsurfer
Because I am sure the spindle is done aswell as the bearing and no way i am leaving the old OEM bearing from a kunckle assembly off the junkyard from another 20+ year LS. Some of us don't need mechanics to do every single thing for our cars. Your input helped me in no way shape or form. Thanks anyways!
Until you pull the spindle off and check the bearing races for damage you won't have any idea if it's "done" unless there's visible damage. If there's no damage to the races then you can simply strip it down and have another bearing pressed in. The downside of this is that the car is down while you have all that done/do it.

Don't presume to know anything about me, assumptions don't accomplish anything. Lose the attitude when you ask for help and opinions.

The labor comment was general, if you do it yourself or if you have it done, the labor will take longer or cost more than the paltry sum of parts needed. Total parts outlay on both spindles for a couple of carrier arm bushings and 2 wheel bearings will be less than $150, at absolute most.
Old 04-12-13, 09:10 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Until you pull the spindle off and check the bearing races for damage you won't if it's "done" unless there's visible damage. If there's no damage to the races then you can simply strip it down and have another bearing pressed in. The downside of this is that the car is down while you have all that done/do it.

Don't presume to know anything about me, assumptions don't accomplish anything. Lose the attitude when you ask for help and opinions.

The labor comment was general, if you do it yourself or if you have it done, the labor will take longer or cost more than the paltry sum of parts needed. Total parts outlay on both spindles for a couple of carrier arm bushings and 2 wheel bearings will be less than $150, at absolute most.
Its not an assumptiom, its a fact this wasnt the first time you leave a useless sarcastic comment on a thread PD. Now if you would have written the second comment in place of the first then nothing would have been said about your continuimg useless comments. Thanks for the second answer it was definately better than the first one. I do appreciate that one.
Old 04-12-13, 04:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by djsurfer
Its not an assumptiom, its a fact this wasnt the first time you leave a useless sarcastic comment on a thread PD. Now if you would have written the second comment in place of the first then nothing would have been said about your continuimg useless comments. Thanks for the second answer it was definately better than the first one. I do appreciate that one.
You've not done this before? Buy the bearings and new seals. The bearing inner races are separate from the hub. Press off the inner races (or use a puller) and your hub and spindle will be perfect. You'll also need to buy seals, and you'll need either a press, an SST, or you'll need to build a tool with an all thread rod to pull the old bearing outer shell out and pull the new one in. We Supra owners can do this on the car, and I've done it more than once...

You'd be wise to consult with techinfo.toyota.com to get the full scope of what needs to happen, then decide if you want to do it their way or something more creative.

There are only two manufacturers in the world making this bearing. One is Koyo, but you can't get the Toyota specific bearing from Koyo directly. The other is a Chinese manufacturer (who more than likely makes them for Koyo too). Either will work as well as the other, I've used them both.
Old 04-13-13, 04:05 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
do you know any other OEM's for sure that are not mentioned in my LS400 OEM's thread?
That's a useful list! I'll take a look and see if i can add anything to it
Old 04-13-13, 04:28 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced a bearing and not the spindle over a year ago.
no problems yet...