LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Engine block heater in my '93

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-13, 07:45 PM
mikebatman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine block heater in my '93

I just discovered today my 93 LS400 has an engine block heater installed.
I wish I knew before winter, I would have prevented many cold starts.
Anyways I know now and will take advantage now and in the future.

My question is if someone can describe what exactly is happening?
Where is the cable going to? How does it benefit my engine?
Are there any negative impacts using this?

I've just plugged it in for the first time 20 min ago. Our mornings are still cold here in Toronto.
When my engine starts cold my dash takes anywhere from 5-15 minutes to light up based on current temperature.
I will experiment judging by the time it takes my dash to light up if any at all.
I appreciate all facts, opinions, experiences.
Thanks

Last edited by mikebatman; 04-04-13 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-07-13, 08:19 AM
MR2turbo
Driver School Candidate

Block heaters are installed by removing one of the frost plugs on the side of the engine and replacing it with a small coil that heats up when connected to electricity. It basically warms up the engine coolant, making it easier for your engine to start and thereby saving wear. I would recommend using it anytime the temperature is less than -10 degrees Celsius. Depending on the temperatures, I would recommend having it plugged in for at least 3 hours (or more in really extreme temperatures). There are no negative effects from using the block heater. I would strongly recommend using it in the winter.

One thing to keep in mind is that the block heater doesn't warm up the oil, therefore make sure you're easy on the engine for at least the first 10-15 minutes of driving after starting the engine.

Last edited by MR2turbo; 04-07-13 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-07-13, 10:40 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

I never calculated the energy cost of using it, but I often left the block heater on a Mercedes diesel I owned for 10 years plugged in all night. It dramatically reduced the time it took for warm air to start coming out of the heater vents and it sure made that diesel engine run better in the first few minutes..

Let's just say that I frequently "borrowed" electricity to run my block heater. Once I started keeping an eye out, I found AC outlets everywhere - In the covered company parking lot, in hotel parking lots, on exterior walls of commercial buildings, etc. I carried a 100' heavy duty electrical cord with me and used it often. I had to pop the hood to connect it on the Mercedes which essentially allowed me to "lock" the cable to the car. The main surprise was that no one ever messed with the cord - never unplugged it or complained.

I don't know if it applies to the LS400 or if your block heater was dealer supplied but I've read many times over the years that Toyota/Lexus block heaters are not as effective as most others.

Something else I did on the Mercedes on days when the high temperature for the day was going to be below freezing was to use a cover on the front grill - similar to what you see in the winter on trucks. I don't see why a grill cover wouldn't help on a non-diesel vehicle as long as you keep your eye on the temperature gauge.
Old 04-07-13, 04:13 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Your gauge cluster taking long to light up is a separate issue. There's a thread showing how to fix it by replacing a few capacitors.
Old 04-07-13, 04:38 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebatman
Our mornings are still cold here in Toronto.
When my engine starts cold my dash takes anywhere from 5-15 minutes to light up based on current temperature.
I will experiment judging by the time it takes my dash to light up if any at all.
I appreciate all facts, opinions, experiences.
Thanks
Your dash light issue may be related to the electrolytic capacitors in the cluster board since it only happens when the room temperature is very low. As aged electrolytic capacitors tend to work poorly when cold.

It is a common issue and you can find the way to fix it at the FaQ.
Old 04-08-13, 01:29 PM
mikebatman
Driver School Candidate

Sweet. I'm assuming this is the thread?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...eedle-fix.html
What would you recommend for practice soldering before I actually try this?