LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

In search of new struts for my LS

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-02, 03:57 PM
Rice
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In search of new struts for my LS

I have a 97 LS400 and need to replace struts.
After searching the net, I stopped on TOKICO.
I am not racing the car, but I also want the car to behave well on the road. Stock struts make the car feel like a boat, floating, wondering left and right at high speeds and not wanting to turn. I need a strut that will not be too stiff, and on the other hand, will make an improvement in handling.

If anyone ever installed TOKICO struts, please let me know how much stiffer the ride becomes. I am really afraid of spending all that money (non-refundable), just to end up with the ride of a dropped Civic.
I also need advise on the best place to buy them from.
The cheapest I saw them is $81 each.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 12-24-02, 11:38 PM
rajah996
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I have a 92 LS and came across the same situation
earlier this year that you are facing now. I found that
Tokico was one of the solutions for the problem. Alot of
people suggested them, stating how they had good handling
and would not be like driving a honda civic. I went ahead
and purchased a set all the way around, and got them
installed. I found the drive home, and the drive the following
day very pleasant. It is on the third day I ran into a big problem.
I noticed the car was "bottoming out" like crazy while driving.
As soon as I noticed this, I took it back to the shop that installed
the struts. When lifted, we saw that three of the four had
blown, and were leaking oil. The shop told me that I would
have to replace them. I called Tokico in California about the
problem, and they told me to take it to another store in my area
which they recomend to remedy the situation. I took it to the local
shop, and they told me that they should be replaced. I assumed
it would be covered under warantee. They said that they would
install new struts, which I would pay for, and ship my old ones
back to Tokico, upon their approval, I would get a refund. I was
unhappy with this idea, so the associate at the store called Tokico
to get approval for an exchange. Tokico refused an exchange for
the problem, saying it was beyond their control. Needless to say,
I replaced them with McPherson's and will never be associated
with Tokico again. Also on a side note, My driving consists of all
newly paved roads and highways. I did not drive on dirt roads or
in any potholes. Overall, a terrible experience with Tokico, and
would not recomend. Leave Tokico for the honda civics which
scuff the ground.

R.

Last edited by rajah996; 12-24-02 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-25-02, 02:07 PM
Rice
Pole Position

Wow, this will surely make me think twice.. I wonder if it was an isolated incident or all TOKICO struts suck.
Now I am really lost.
What do you think would be a better choice?
Should I just get the struts from the dealer or is there something else I can consider?
I thought of KYB, but in my experience they are too stiff. I installed KYBs on my Mitsubisi Galant and now it rides like there is no suspension at all. I can't even press down on a car and make is go down an inch.

What brand did you go with and are you happy with the ride?

Last edited by Rice; 12-25-02 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-25-02, 04:46 PM
Lvangundy

Here is a fellow CL members web site who reviewed a few different shocks. There's lots fo info on there maybe you might want to go through the whole site.

http://www.cureline.net/lex/performance/suspension.htm

MY experience with tokicos has been OK so far. I had them installed at a shop who had a terrible mechanic. That's what I get for paying $30 to have installed!

I only had the front struts replaced and chose tokico because of the praise that they were as close to stock ride quality for a performance strut.

At first I noticed a huge difference (of course) compared to the original 12 year old struts. About a week later they sunk in and I can't recall much of a difference between the old ones and the tokicos.

A few days into having them installed..I started hearing a LOUD clunk noise whenever I went over decent size dips. I took it back to the shop 2 times and they said they didn't know what it was and chose to label a lower ball joint as the problem. I recently picked up one ball joint and am waiting to have it installed to see if the problem goes away.
Attached Thumbnails In search of new struts for my LS-tokicofrnt.jpg  
Old 12-25-02, 10:17 PM
Maeve
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation My experience with Tokico

Originally posted by rajah996
Hey, I have a 92 LS and came across the same situation
earlier this year that you are facing now. I found that
Tokico was one of the solutions for the problem. Alot of
people suggested them, stating how they had good handling
and would not be like driving a honda civic. I went ahead
and purchased a set all the way around, and got them
installed. I found the drive home, and the drive the following
day very pleasant. It is on the third day I ran into a big problem.
I noticed the car was "bottoming out" like crazy while driving.
As soon as I noticed this, I took it back to the shop that installed
the struts. When lifted, we saw that three of the four had
blown, and were leaking oil. The shop told me that I would
have to replace them. I called Tokico in California about the
problem, and they told me to take it to another store in my area
which they recomend to remedy the situation. I took it to the local
shop, and they told me that they should be replaced. I assumed
it would be covered under warantee. They said that they would
install new struts, which I would pay for, and ship my old ones
back to Tokico, upon their approval, I would get a refund. I was
unhappy with this idea, so the associate at the store called Tokico
to get approval for an exchange. Tokico refused an exchange for
the problem, saying it was beyond their control. Needless to say,
I replaced them with McPherson's and will never be associated
with Tokico again. Also on a side note, My driving consists of all
newly paved roads and highways. I did not drive on dirt roads or
in any potholes. Overall, a terrible experience with Tokico, and
would not recomend. Leave Tokico for the honda civics which
scuff the ground.

R.

Hi guys, I had a Nissan 240 SX before I traded it for My LS 400.
My 240SX Had TOKICO struts and Eibach Sportline springs. The car handling improved dramatically. I got front and rear strutbar from Nizzmo. You could take corner with no problem. I put almost 98000 miles on it since I got TOKICO struts and Eibach springs.

I went to Lake Tahoe every single winter, once to Seattle and 3 times to New York

You probably only had a bad luck with TOKICO.
Anyway, you should be able to get a free replacement from TOKICO. There should be a way to get it man.

The struts were defective.
Good Luck and Happy New Year

Dom
Old 12-25-02, 10:41 PM
Pilot
Rookie

I bought 4 new Tokicos for my 91 LS400 after reading on this board how good they are, and which was stated that these are used for some Lexus OEM, but have not confirmed this. I installed them myself in my driveway using a spring compressor from Auto Zone, which offers free use.
Each wheel took me about 90 minutes to do, and was very straight forward. The ride was about 10% stiffer, but this may have been just back to factory specs after 100K on the old ones.
I wanted a smooth ride, but not so stiff as to lose the Lexus feel.
I drive the car fast, and have had it up to 145MPH, with rock steady handling. I am convinced that these twin tube low pressure struts are much higher quality than a Monroe or other standard high pressure strut. Here is what the Tokico web site states about twin tube vis single tube etc.

There are two types of gas-pressurized shocks, monotube high-pressure and twin-tube low-pressure. Generally a twin-tube low-pressure shock will proved a better ride for a given level of control than a monotube high-pressure shock. However an inexpensive poor quality low-pressure shock is no bargain.

I am very happy with my Tokico's struts. The factory offers life time warranty to the original purchaser. I am not sure what the deal was with previous message, and bad experience with Tokico. I considered installing Bilstein's but did not want the stiffer feel, which these would give.

Check out the factory web sites for each and decide what to do. I would not go with a run of mill Monroe or other cheap single tube high pressure strut. Get the higher quality of Tokico or Bilstein.
If you want a Lexus feel and factory spec handling, go with Tokico. If you want the tight handling but stiffer ride, go with Bilstein. You can't have it both ways! I decided I bought a Lexus for a reason, and wanted to retain the dreamy ball bearing ride, and retain close to world class factory engineered handling.
The folks at Lexus know what they are doing. I stay away from changing my car and installing parts which are less in quality than what the car came from the factory with. These cars have all been tested for many miles on all road conditions and race tracks, at very high speeds. I think the factory has given us the best of both worlds. New factory struts, or Tokico's will always stiffen up to new specs as when the car left the factory, which is what I wanted. Just my opinion though, you do what you feel is best for you.

Pilot
Old 12-26-02, 12:31 AM
rajah996
Driver

Hey guys,

I can agree with you that I may have recieved defecteve struts.
I contacted Tokico as soon as I had the problem, and follwed
their directions to take it to one of their shops near me. Their
service tech called Tokico and told them about the problem. I
was then able to talk to the adivsor at Tokico who informed me
to purchase a new set, and return the used ones. Apon their
inspection they would make the decision to give me a refund
for the second set. I was willing to take this risk, until he told
me that from what the service tech discribed, it most likely would
not be rufunded. I then proceeded to talk to managers above
and they told me the same thing. So I just switched brands,
that was my choice. I am very picky, and if I dont feel comfortable
with something, I will spend a little bit of money to fix it. It cost
me a bit more money, but I dont have to worry about a horrible
ride in a world class automobile. I take pristene care of my car,
and the other cars we have. Other cars consist of a few highline
benz's including a CL500. Also got a porsche on the way

Good luck with everyone in the Decision of choosing struts

R
Old 12-26-02, 10:28 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Default Thanks

Guys, thanks for your feedback.
I've desided to be on the safe side and to install the OEM struts.
The other reason for my decision is the price. I went to the dealer web site and was pleasantly surprised to find out that the OEM struts are about $41.00 each. That's cheeeeap!!!
By the way, the reason for buying them on the net and not going to a local dealer is twofold:
First, dealer prices here, in NYC are about 50% above any other that I've seen on the net.
Second, NYC dealers are ahols. Whenever I go to them and try to purchase their overpriced service, they treat me like they are doing me a favor. Kind of like Harley dealers. So I woved never to let them have another dime of my money. F them

P.S.
Merry Christmas
Old 12-26-02, 12:28 PM
rybikowsky
Driver

I recently installed KYB's I could not ask for a greater improvment.A perfect ride with very good handling.
Old 12-27-02, 02:54 AM
95ls400
Driver School Candidate

I am not so lucky in my search for a new set of strut for my 95 ls 400. My local Lexus dealer want $ 1300 for a factory new strut(labor included) and I think that too high then I start searching on the Net. After couple weeks look all over couple web site I decided to buy a KYB GR-2. It cost $ 300 for the part and $530 labor to install and the first day I took the car back the ride is OK, a little stiffer than stock and comfort level is about the same. Couple day later the KYB strut settle in and become soo stiff. My car pretty much bounching on the freeway and behave like my little brother Ground Control CIvic riding 5 inches from the ground. All contact with bumps from the road send the car cabin shocking around. All I want is a smoothest of Lexus and a little more control ride. I would advise anyone to stay away from KYB if you are not a DIE Hard racer. I don't know what KYB thinking when they set their strut too stiff, this is a luxury car not a high performance compact sedan. Any way I found another web site that they claim they sell OEM strut at $55 each. I did have a lot trouble to belive them since local dealer want so much for their part. But after my experience with KYB I have no choice and I did put in my order for 4 new OEM strut with them. Hopefully I will have my Lexus ride back in order.
Old 12-27-02, 01:55 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the reasons I am sold on LS is its smooth and stable suspension system. I would not change the struts to aftermarket struts as doing so will most likely degrade the quality of my ride. If I wanted better handling and performance I would drive my turbo Supra but I rarely do. Everytime I drive my Supra, I miss my Lex, but I never miss my Supra when I am in my Lex.
Go OEM!
Old 12-30-02, 11:25 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Struts

It looks to me like the 3 options available for the Pre-95 400 Owners are to go OEM, KYB, and Tokico. Is there not a Bilstein model that fits?

My immediate family has three LS 400's , a 90 , 94 & 96. The 90 has had it's struts replaced with Tokico's & while we have been very happy with the performance of the struts , some very expensive suspension parts revealed themselves as "in need" of replacement shortly after they had been installed.

I would agree with the earlier post that they are around 10% stiffer.

My 94 ( 133,000 ) is in need of struts & I was hoping for a Bilstein option to perhaps avoid the replacement of other parts. Note: There was not a replacement bushing option available for the suspension parts that we replaced when we did the 90 years ago. Is there asupplier now?

damon

Last edited by damon; 12-30-02 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-02-03, 12:28 PM
cabby850
Driver School Candidate

Default Bilstein shocks for LS400

HI,

I have a 95 LS400 and is also looking for replacement shocks that would firm up the ride and improve the handling.

I had previous experience with Bilstein shocks on another car and is very pleased with them. SO I am kinda leaning towards Bilstein.

Is there anyone here that have installed Bilstein on their LS400 and can share his experience?

Please also let me know where is the best place to get them and whats the best price you can find.

Thanks

Ed
Old 01-03-03, 01:44 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bilstein

Cabby850,

Apparently Lexus changed the set-up on LS Struts in 95. Bilstein shocks for 95 and newer LS 400's are readily available , it is the 90-94 crowd that seem to be "Bilstein challenged".

A quick internet search should yield plenty of vendors in the $80 a strut range.

good luck, damon
Old 01-09-03, 12:04 PM
TomWahjudi
Driver

Damon,

If you don't mind sharing the info on vendors that sell Bilstein shocks for $80 a piece since I did a search using Google and found none at that price.

TFW

Last edited by TomWahjudi; 01-09-03 at 12:10 PM.

Quick Reply: In search of new struts for my LS