LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

99LS ... How can I check if my timing belt needs to be changed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 01:47 PM
flyboyplo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99LS ... How can I check if my timing belt needs to be changed?

My 99LS is reaching 109k soon , I know the timing belt needs to be changed at 90k, but money is tight, how can I go about checking if it needs a belt change ?
Old 03-19-13, 04:15 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

you cant, but it is 14 years old.... it NEEDS it.
Old 03-19-13, 06:29 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

you can remove one of the covers, i found the driver side to be easiest, and inspect. since money is tight, which we all can understand, the belt can go for a bit longer but i suggest you save up soon! i didn't do my belt until 130k, it was cracked but didn't show any other signs of potential failure.

keep in mind the belt really isn't the first thing to fail. it's the water pump, and idler pulleys that compromise the belt.
Old 03-20-13, 11:03 AM
flyboyplo
Rookie

Thanks for the responce fellaz....
Old 03-30-13, 03:58 PM
LXtiming
Driver School Candidate

Default Timing Belt Failure

I recently had a timing belt break on my 2001 Lx470 WITH 174,000 miles. I had changed the belt at 100,000 miles, so this second belt only lasted a little over 74,000. Everything I read on the internet, led me to believe that because the 4.7 litre engine is an "interference" engine, it would be toast, i.e., bent valves, holes in pistons, etc. This is not necessarily true. I had the vehicle towed to my mechanic, he put a new timing belt on, and it started right up. He installed the timing belt kit (water pump, pulleys, seals, etc.) and it is running great. In fact, it is running better than ever! There is no way to actually "inspect" a timing belt for wear. The rule of thumb is to replace as preventive maintenance every 80-100K miles. But, as stated above, mine went out at just under 75K miles. I know I was extremely lucky that there was absolutely no engine damage. But, don't believe those who say that a timing belt failure will absolutely result in engine damage. It is possible that no damage at all will result. Don't give up. If your timing belt fails, there is still hope. Personal experience and not "hearsay."
Old 03-30-13, 04:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LXtiming
I recently had a timing belt break on my 2001 Lx470 WITH 174,000 miles. I had changed the belt at 100,000 miles, so this second belt only lasted a little over 74,000. Everything I read on the internet, led me to believe that because the 4.7 litre engine is an "interference" engine, it would be toast, i.e., bent valves, holes in pistons, etc. This is not necessarily true. I had the vehicle towed to my mechanic, he put a new timing belt on, and it started right up. He installed the timing belt kit (water pump, pulleys, seals, etc.) and it is running great. In fact, it is running better than ever! There is no way to actually "inspect" a timing belt for wear. The rule of thumb is to replace as preventive maintenance every 80-100K miles. But, as stated above, mine went out at just under 75K miles. I know I was extremely lucky that there was absolutely no engine damage. But, don't believe those who say that a timing belt failure will absolutely result in engine damage. It is possible that no damage at all will result. Don't give up. If your timing belt fails, there is still hope. Personal experience and not "hearsay."
9.5/10 times a timing belt failure on a running 2,3, or late (95+) 1UZ WILL result in damage to the heads, pistons, valves, and/or more.

congratulations on being part of the 5%.

you stated that the timing belt was replaced ~74k miles earlier, what about the idlers? the water pump? etc?
nearly every xUZ timing belt failure I've seen was due to a seized pulley or pump, not from a frayed belt.
Old 03-30-13, 07:16 PM
LXtiming
Driver School Candidate

Everything was replaced with OEM parts at 100K. The second belt broke 2 days ago (with 174K miles and 7 years) when my wife was driving out of town (she had just left a stop light and was traveling at approximately 30 mph when it just stopped and she coasted to the side of the road). No water pump/pulley seizure according to my mechanic. The broken belt caused damage to the cam sensor and that had to be replaced as well. They installed the "timing belt kit" with pulleys, seals, idlers, thermostat, water pump, etc. Absolutely no damage to the engine. It started right up with the new belt and is running like never before. I don't know why no damage was done, and I realize how lucky I was. I was already planning on a rebuild. Best repair news I have ever received, even though the repairs cost $1,000, I know it could have been much, much worse.
Old 03-31-13, 09:14 AM
SammySnit
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LXtiming
Everything was replaced with OEM parts at 100K. The second belt broke 2 days ago (with 174K miles and 7 years) when my wife was driving out of town (she had just left a stop light and was traveling at approximately 30 mph when it just stopped and she coasted to the side of the road). No water pump/pulley seizure according to my mechanic. The broken belt caused damage to the cam sensor and that had to be replaced as well. They installed the "timing belt kit" with pulleys, seals, idlers, thermostat, water pump, etc. Absolutely no damage to the engine. It started right up with the new belt and is running like never before. I don't know why no damage was done, and I realize how lucky I was. I was already planning on a rebuild. Best repair news I have ever received, even though the repairs cost $1,000, I know it could have been much, much worse.
Go buy a lotto ticket - NOW!