LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

a few problems.. maybe you guys can help

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-02, 02:54 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default a few problems.. maybe you guys can help

i already posted about my car phone problem.. but i have a few others to list. maybe you guys know some quick fixes, or if not atleast reassure me that my problems are common

1. hvac / clock display has gone weird, cant read anything ever. i hear this is pretty common and expensive to fix. the lights behind the defrost buttons (when not depressed) also went out.. has anyone removed the section to replace a few burnt out bulbs? i have no idea what size they would be, but it would be nice to replace them if i could.

2. the dimming mirror only works in cold weather, if its hot, it only un-dims 3/4 of the way across, and gets cloudy as it transitions from undimmed to dimmed.

3. the brake light always comes on. it used to just come on under hard acceleration and go off when slowing down. but now its almost always on, im pretty sure this is just a e-brake swich that either needs to be replaced or realigned, but i dont know where to look for it.

4. the low coolant light (the little radiator) is ALWAYS ON. The sensor is bad, because the car has coolant and has never overheated. Can i find this in any other toyota? because im sure the dealership would love to charge me $100+ for something so unnecessary as this.

5. passenger side front door speakers dont work right now, im assuming they just came unplugged somehow.. anyone know where the connectors are, just behind the radio and right at the speaker i assume?

thanks guys, if you can help me with any of these problems id appreciate it!
Old 12-21-02, 06:31 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no ideas? anyone?
Old 12-23-02, 03:58 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah i spent 95 bucks at the dealer for the coolant sensor switch, installed it myself in a couple minutes. as with the brakes, I was replacing a lot of bulbs for a while and then while i had the car at the dealer to get something else fixed they tried replacing a bulb and it turned out to be the harness plug in the assembly that had gone bad, whatever the hell that meant. anyway it wasn't too expensive, I think less than fifty dollars.
Old 12-23-02, 04:21 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey turbosix!

It seems like you have a few problems but nothing major. To get the correct size for your bulbs you have to go to the dealer and tell what section is blown (ex:climate control) the person at the counter should know or they will show you a diagram.
The mirror you might need to replace, I'm having the same problem with mine, I think the crystals inside are screwed up, actually someone tried to steal my pass-side and made it worse so only the sides dim.
Brake light coming on, check your fluid level and also if your '92 has brake sensors have them checked.
Speaker might be blown. If there was a loose connection all the speakers would go out. There is one harness for all the speakers and a separate one for the sub. The connectors come from the amp located in the trunk underneath the cd player if you have one.

Last edited by Lexozz; 12-23-02 at 04:22 PM.