LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

DIY Auto Zone chrome grill poor-boy mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-13, 11:43 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

does the chrome strips fully sit on the edges of the grill flaps, or is there some areas where the double side tape is just exposed to the air? i would think over time, this will fall apart if so eh, with all that wind the front end experiences?
Old 03-13-13, 11:49 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I'd painted ours black some years ago. That charcoal metal finish didn't contrast well to my eyes, the black is more traditional. Especially considering the painted trim on these is black around the windshield, side window pillars...
Old 03-13-13, 12:04 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
does the chrome strips fully sit on the edges of the grill flaps, or is there some areas where the double side tape is just exposed to the air? i would think over time, this will fall apart if so eh, with all that wind the front end experiences?
Thats what I was thinking, too late though I went to the the junkyard and bought a grill off a junked LS in good shape (surprising due to mostly front end collisions) and cut off the L emblem, repainted grill in semi gloss black and will be buying chrome strips today. Will post up pictures when done...
Old 03-13-13, 10:44 PM
I'mStock
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RA40
The grill came out good.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by TaffyK20si
Wow! Looks good! I like the black grill on your white. Thanks for the props on post #1.
No problem man, thanks for the idea.

Originally Posted by akitomk3
Looking great. I think for a white car the black grill looks a lot better, as for my self i have the same paint as Taffyk20si and I'd go for the chrome first as it will offset of the dark color of the car IMO
AH much better in black. i agree that chrome grills on darker cars look better. thus a darker grill on light cars look great!
Agreed, glad I went black. Not sure I'll ever want to go back.

Originally Posted by djsurfer
Looks awesome I wouldve never thought of this... my car is black and I will be doing this to my front grill aswell as shaving off the emblem circle off the center. But I am going to be leaving mine chrome because as stated before, it will look better on my black body.
Old 03-13-13, 10:49 PM
I'mStock
Pole Position

The tape feels pretty high quality, it seats up against the grill very nicely. I'm confident.

Originally Posted by djsurfer
Thats what I was thinking, too late though I went to the the junkyard and bought a grill off a junked LS in good shape (surprising due to mostly front end collisions) and cut off the L emblem, repainted grill in semi gloss black and will be buying chrome strips today. Will post up pictures when done...
I used a heat gun on the strips before I removed the plastic off the adhesive and laid it on the grill to ensure it held the shape of the grill as much as possible.
Old 03-18-13, 07:36 AM
greexembou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't completely understand how the chrome strips stick to the grille since eqch "line" is so thin...
How did you do it exactly ?
Old 03-18-13, 10:31 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

As noted before, I bought a grill off a junked car, cut out the "L" circle emblem holder in the middle of the grill, primed and shot in semi gloss black and layed over 1/2" chrome stirps myself aswell. And I must say I am very impressed and pleased with the result. I barely used a roll and maybe 1/4 of the second one so when the chrome or clear coat from it starts coming off, it will be very easy to re do this grill by buying another roll and using the rest of the old one.... as promised here it is fully chromed on my black LS (and yes I know I need to trim the edges of the chrome more evenly, Ill get around to that sometime)

Old 03-18-13, 10:39 AM
timmy0tool

^ looking good man! i like the hood mascot as well!
Old 03-18-13, 11:07 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

^ looking good man! i like the hood mascot as well!
Thank you, yea the chrome looks nice and stands out better with the black and the "feather diamond" mascot does the same. I definately prefer the grill black on a white car. But that chrome gleams better against the black. I like my front end alot better now. Big thanks to whoever came up with this idea!
Old 03-18-13, 11:22 AM
timmy0tool

i also like how the grill matches the horizontal lines of the lower portion of the bumper. flows well!
Old 03-18-13, 12:13 PM
I'mStock
Pole Position

Originally Posted by greexembou
I don't completely understand how the chrome strips stick to the grille since eqch "line" is so thin...
How did you do it exactly ?
It's self adhesive...
Old 03-18-13, 12:16 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

i also like how the grill matches the horizontal lines of the lower portion of the bumper. flows well!
Yea they match that line aswell, the bumper one is slightly thinner but to me its close enough,
Old 03-26-13, 12:54 PM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i did something like this for my grille and ran it on my car for a good month or so and noticed a decrease in my MPG by like 1.5 needless to say i took it off cause it wasnt worth it lol. anyone else notice the same?
Old 03-26-13, 02:55 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The airbox snorkel is on the upper part of the hood so if he airflow is reduced by addition of these slats it can have an impact on your MPG with the decreased airflow. I wouldn't suspect it would have this much of a change but it did in your situation.
Old 03-27-13, 12:45 AM
timmy0tool

wow i can see some restriction in airflow but not that much to cause a whole 1 mpg to drop! possibly this is adding drag to the car rather than restrict the engine from breathing.

Quick Reply: DIY Auto Zone chrome grill poor-boy mod