LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Locked Keys in Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-13, 03:08 PM
xxc34
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked Keys in Trunk

I have a 98 LS400. I locked my keys in my trunk, no spare available. Called AAA to get inside the door and gained access to the rest of the car. Trying to remove the rear center speaker to gain access to the trunk. I removed two of the bolts but cannot access the last 2 because of the liner. Does anybody know how to remove the liner? Would removing the rear seats instead provide better access to the trunk? Also can i jump the trunk release button with a battery or something I was reading about in the other threads? Trying to figure out how to approach this problem for my specific model car.
Attached Thumbnails Locked Keys in Trunk-img_20130224_165844.jpg  
Old 02-24-13, 03:30 PM
Joshcar
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To point out the obvious, why can't you use the Trunk pop from inside the car?
Old 02-24-13, 03:35 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Removing the rear seat would give you better access to the woofer. I had this happen to me a couple of years ago so I assume that you keep your trunk pop mechanism locked by your left knee with the key. I ended up removing the panel that holds it and opening or closing the circuit, I cant remember which, and the trunk opened. I had too much stuff in the trunk so I could not see the the keys through the woofer opening.
Old 02-24-13, 03:47 PM
xxc34
Driver School Candidate

The car was locked and AAA jimmyed in so the button does not work to open the trunk for a security feature I think. It is not pressed in, just won't open when I press it. The battery is unplugged because the alarm keeps going off. So I pop off the panel to the trunk release and just unplug, reconnect something? The battery is unplugged though so I don't think it will work. Can I hook it up to a little 12 volt battery? Thanks for the responses.
Old 02-24-13, 04:52 PM
phlorida
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Several years ago I locked my keys in the trunk while I was 100+ miles from home. I had also left my cell phone in the car which made everything exponentially more difficult. I called the usual suspects - the dealer, pop-a-lock, etc. and nobody had an easy answer, I even talked to someone about breaking a window and they told me what you have discovered - they trunk release doesn't work without the key in the ignition. I had the key tag number and the dealer was willing to code a key for some exorbitant amount of money and give it to the sheriffs department for me to prove to them that i owned the car. I ended up having my wife drive nearly two hours to bring me the spare key.
Old 02-24-13, 04:56 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xxc34
The car was locked and AAA jimmyed in so the button does not work to open the trunk for a security feature I think. It is not pressed in, just won't open when I press it. The battery is unplugged because the alarm keeps going off. So I pop off the panel to the trunk release and just unplug, reconnect something? The battery is unplugged though so I don't think it will work. Can I hook it up to a little 12 volt battery? Thanks for the responses.
Well I believe you have to have the battery connected to pop the trunk release so why dont you try that first. If that does not work I believe there are 2 wires that you have to have to unscrew and connect to pop the trunk.

Ok I found my post in another lexus forum that I frequented alot before I stumbled across CL.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...ocked+%2Btrunk

Go to my post which is number 8.

Last edited by sha4000; 02-24-13 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-24-13, 05:30 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
Well I believe you have to have the battery connected to pop the trunk release so why dont you try that first. If that does not work I believe there are 2 wires that you have to have to unscrew and connect to pop the trunk.

Ok I found my post in another lexus forum that I frequented alot before I stumbled across CL.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...ocked+%2Btrunk

Go to my post which is number 8.
iirc if the alarm is tripped there's no power to the trunk switch regardless.
Old 02-24-13, 06:11 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
iirc if the alarm is tripped there's no power to the trunk switch regardless.
He could just use a 9v battery or another car batter to jump the circuit.
Old 02-24-13, 06:50 PM
xxc34
Driver School Candidate

I removed the backseat and speaker and fished it out with a hanger, thanks for all the responses, I would've searched better but am in a rush to get back to school. After removing the seat you can access those plastic push pins to push up the liner around the speaker enough to reach the hard to unscrew 2 bolts.
Old 02-25-13, 05:41 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Glad it worked out for you. Very common mistake.
The following users liked this post:
Rashawn215 (04-07-21)
Old 02-25-13, 06:23 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I had this happen with a Cadillac DTS we rented near my wedding. That's when I sure did enjoy that Onstar service. Quick call and a few min later the doors were opened and I could pop the trunk.
Old 02-25-13, 06:35 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Hmmm my wife and I both have sets of keys for both cars, so we have never had this trouble in 59 years of marriage.... one of us to the resque at all times... sure beats a locksmith.
Old 02-25-13, 07:39 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I had this happen with a Cadillac DTS we rented near my wedding. That's when I sure did enjoy that Onstar service. Quick call and a few min later the doors were opened and I could pop the trunk.
I Agree, OnStar is a life saver! I just wish my truck was 1 year newer, because they didn't have the remote diagnostics until 2004
Old 02-26-13, 08:17 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The picture below shows the wiring loom running under the trim on a RHD LS400 so bear in mind this may be on the other side on a LHD model.
The trim is just clipped so is easy to remove to access the loom. Remove a section of the black tape insulation to expose the wires within the loom.
Locate the thinner of the plain black wires then cut the wire.Trim the insulation back on the black wire nearest the trunk then extend the wire with another suitable piece of wire long enough to reach the battery positive terminal.
Briefly touching the other end of the wire to the battery positive will activate the trunk lock solenoid and the trunk will then pop open.
Once you have opened the trunk remove the temporary wire extension and rejoin the two ends of the black wire preferably by soldering and heat shrinking insulation, rewrap the loom and refit the trim.
It sounds complicated but should take no more than 15 minutes from start to finish.
The reason why the wire is cut first is to avoid any possible damage to the control unit by feeding 12 volts into it the wrong way.
Attached Thumbnails Locked Keys in Trunk-dscf0589s.jpg  
Old 02-26-13, 09:59 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
Hmmm my wife and I both have sets of keys for both cars, so we have never had this trouble in 59 years of marriage.... one of us to the resque at all times... sure beats a locksmith.
I have three sets of keys and one "flat key" for my 2000 LS400. My wife and I each carry a master key but neither of us carry a valet key - not going to let someone else park my car anyway ... ever again.

So that leaves one master and three valet keys unused. One master key and one valet key are in a fireproof safe near an exterior wall in our house. If the house were to burn down, it should be relatively quick to get our most important documents and our extra car keys.

That leaves two valet keys unused. One of those is in a drawer and other is very well hidden inside my LS - hidden so well that it takes a screwdriver to get to it.

I carry the flat key in the plastic card holder in my wallet - that gets me into the car. Assuming I have a screwdriver (e.g. my Swiss Army knife I always carry) or can beg, borrow or steal one, I can get a hold of the hidden valet key relatively quickly.

This paranoia is due to an incident that happened in 1975 when a nephew who was maybe four years old crawled up on top of a dresser, got the only car key I had with me when visiting relatives in a rural area, stuck the key in the door lock of my car and broke the key off. Help was far away - decided I would rather not get stranded again.

Quick Reply: Locked Keys in Trunk