LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

96 LS400 - Low Idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-13, 10:18 PM
stanls400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 LS400 - Low Idle

Starting from some comments from PureDrifter for a '94, here's a thread for the 1995-1997 LS400.

With my '96 LS400, the low idle is intermittent. The car has never 'died'. On occasion, at the stop sign the idle would drop to (around) 500 rpm. But no problems accelerating. So, I rarely notice it then.

Where I do notice the low idle is when I am turning. I could be at a stop, then begin the turn. Or I could be moving then slowing down to make a turn. The way I notice it is it feels like the power steering is getting heavy / hard to turn. At first I thought it was the PS, but then I noticed the low idle. So, I tried approaching a turn just a little bit faster (>500 rpm), everything is fine. Its just when I do the slow or stop approach to the turn - and this does not happen all the time.

It seems like I should go through the check list.
1. spark plugs: changed 17k ago (125k)
2. mileage: 142k mi.
3. air filter: changed 17k ago (125k, but looks a bit dirty)
4. no error codes
5. throttle body: did not clean.

Is cleaning the TB the next step for my situation? Are there other things I should check?

Cleaning the throttle body:
a) clean the front and back of the throttle body/throttle flap right.
b) with the engine cover off and looking down at the throttle body, there's a small metal plate held on with 2 screws. take those off and clean the cavity out with some carb cleaner and an old toothbrush.

Another link but its for a '94 LS400: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...d-problem.html
Old 02-01-13, 10:24 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

clean the throttle body and don't forget the idle passages, should be all you need.
Old 04-30-20, 06:29 PM
Andreperez
Driver School Candidate

Default 96 low idle when at a stop and i turn the steering wheell

Originally Posted by stanls400
Starting from some comments from PureDrifter for a '94, here's a thread for the 1995-1997 LS400.

With my '96 LS400, the low idle is intermittent. The car has never 'died'. On occasion, at the stop sign the idle would drop to (around) 500 rpm. But no problems accelerating. So, I rarely notice it then.

Where I do notice the low idle is when I am turning. I could be at a stop, then begin the turn. Or I could be moving then slowing down to make a turn. The way I notice it is it feels like the power steering is getting heavy / hard to turn. At first I thought it was the PS, but then I noticed the low idle. So, I tried approaching a turn just a little bit faster (>500 rpm), everything is fine. Its just when I do the slow or stop approach to the turn - and this does not happen all the time.

It seems like I should go through the check list.
1. spark plugs: changed 17k ago (125k)
2. mileage: 142k mi.
3. air filter: changed 17k ago (125k, but looks a bit dirty)
4. no error codes
5. throttle body: did not clean.

Is cleaning the TB the next step for my situation? Are there other things I should check?

Cleaning the throttle body:
a) clean the front and back of the throttle body/throttle flap right.
b) with the engine cover off and looking down at the throttle body, there's a small metal plate held on with 2 screws. take those off and clean the cavity out with some carb cleaner and an old toothbrush.

Another link but its for a '94 LS400: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...d-problem.html

Did you ever figure out the problem? Im also haveing the same problem at the moment with my 96 ls . Before it would try to die and ended up being the ecu but once i changed that now it drives perfect only problem is on certain days depending on the weather it will idle at 450 when im at a stop and decide to turn the steering wheel
Old 04-30-20, 06:35 PM
Andreperez
Driver School Candidate

actually this is what i have done before it was my iacv and i have changed that i even changed the maff at the time it didnt do that but i was haveing my rpms go ip and down so i changed those two thing next it would idle at 450 st a stop and would try to die but as long as i kept it at a good idle and kept driving it would come and go. So i went for the exu and that fixed that problme no i just have that issue where i come to a stop and turn the steering wheeel on certain days usually hot days it will idle at 450 but would drive fine on cold days it has no issue it has perfect idle also at night. I have changed the park plugs also im thinking it might be with the power steering . I also have changed the power steering air air control valve? That piece ran me 130 bucks from that long of the 94 lexus i was certain this was it but nope same problem! So now im back to what the **** could it be im thinking my power steering pump is the problem some how because it also recently has made a noise and my fluid isnt red its black so i tried to drain it but it must need a full drain thats my bext step to completley drain the fluid and put new fluid and hope that fixes the noise and my idle goes back up to normal and no low idle certain days. Or power steering pump
Old 05-03-20, 06:13 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Andreperez
actually this is what i have done before it was my iacv and i have changed that i even changed the maff at the time it didnt do that but i was haveing my rpms go ip and down so i changed those two thing next it would idle at 450 st a stop and would try to die but as long as i kept it at a good idle and kept driving it would come and go. So i went for the exu and that fixed that problme no i just have that issue where i come to a stop and turn the steering wheeel on certain days usually hot days it will idle at 450 but would drive fine on cold days it has no issue it has perfect idle also at night. I have changed the park plugs also im thinking it might be with the power steering . I also have changed the power steering air air control valve? That piece ran me 130 bucks from that long of the 94 lexus i was certain this was it but nope same problem! So now im back to what the **** could it be im thinking my power steering pump is the problem some how because it also recently has made a noise and my fluid isnt red its black so i tried to drain it but it must need a full drain thats my bext step to completley drain the fluid and put new fluid and hope that fixes the noise and my idle goes back up to normal and no low idle certain days. Or power steering pump
Low idle is a known issue as these cars age. Have you looked into the oil control valves?