LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95-97 LS400 vs 97-99 Q45

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-02, 09:12 PM
BrianV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95-97 LS400 vs 97-99 Q45

As I stated in an earlier post I am about to purchase a 95-97 LS400 as a replacement for my supercharged maxima (www.brianv.net/car.htm).

I'm choosing the Lexus (or maybe q45) because I love the fact that it's rattle free, reliable, and quiet. The performance is decent for a car its size. The point of the LS400 (or maybe q45) is to have unsurpassed comfort and relaxation while driving. Therefore, performance isn't a huge concern of mine, but I want to be able to merge on and off of the fwy without much effort and I want smooth, easy high speed passing (neither the ls400 or q45 should have a problem with this).

I'm asking for your opinion, as I'm going to ask some Q45 guys, why you think I should go with one over the other. So far here's some advantages/disadvantages:

Lexus+:
Nicer Interior
Lexus supposed reliability
Lexus longevity
Cheaper (I can get a 100K mile Lexus for under $13k, while it'd be $15k for 100k in the Q45)
Supposed silent interior and smoothest ride
Lexus-:
Bland exterior
Ugly wheels
Older person panache

Infiniti+:
Unique exterior
Uncommon car
Nissan reliability (I've had incredible luck with all my nissans)
Newer car for less money
Infiniti customer care
Supposed better handling then LS400
Infiniti-:
Interior is not as plush as Lexus
ugly wheels on non touring model
not quite the build quality of LS400

I think both cars are extreme quality cars and are a real bargain on the used market. If you guys could give me more pluses and minuses that'd be great.

Thanks

PS - I personally believe the power difference and acelleartion difference is negligible.
Old 12-13-02, 02:33 AM
oac3
Rookie

I think it all depends on your needs....I've been in the Nissan family for the past 6 years.

I traded out of the Max this year and bought the LS. Couldn't be happier. Mine came loaded with everything I can want/need on the car. I can't find enough excuse to drive around... it is such a great car, the LS that is...

Here is how I see the two (just my opinion):

LS - reliable, solid build, longevity, interior quality, quiet engine, great handling (not bimmer-like, but a-OK), a great overall vehicle with no blemish I can point to (some will say the HP is not enough, and the exterior style is bland ???)....

Q45 - for a luxury car it has one of the poorest resale out there; for others it may translate to a "value-purchase". It is overall a somewhat "nice" car, with no distinguishing feature or stand-out exceptional over its competition. Could be a real *steal* (bargain) if you plan on keeping for a long time...

Verdict: LS all the way !!! Just way too much of everything versus the Q (engine HP not withstanding). The feeling you get with the LS can't be captured in words.... You know it will be there for a while, and the feel of the quality and the great attention to detail in the build quality is outstanding....

The choice is yours, but do not expect majority CL members to pick the Q over the LS

Of course, I strongly recommend the LS

'nuff said

Last edited by oac3; 12-13-02 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12-13-02, 11:47 AM
BrianV
Driver

Thanks you bring up excellent points, it's just with the Q it truly is a value puchase, I can get a 99 for $15k.
Old 12-14-02, 10:23 AM
Blue
Driver School Candidate

Default LS vs Q

That pretty much says it. There must be more than one reason that LS's hold their resale so much better than Q's. I looked at a few Q's, they were nice, but I got the feeling I would be driving around thinking " I Should have bought an LS" for a long time. If your Nissan loyalty forces you to upgrade from a Maxima to a Q , .Que sera sera I just sold my Lincoln Mark 8, 98's go for the low teens, haul a$$ comfortably. look pretty sharp too. But there is just something that's hard to put into words a "Lexusness" in the LS that sort of grows on you. Have you noticed how people rack up miles on these darn things? If you feel the need for speed, hold out for a 98 at least though. The VVTI and extra ponies can be felt in the seat of your pants. I think some of them ride on Factory 17" wheels too.

My 2 cents worth.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 12-14-02, 05:37 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

I would get the LS I mean they really put that car together when they built it. My brother has the LS and I have the GS and I tell you what I would trade him any day of the week..untill track season is here, then its back to the GS for that.