LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What is the "A" bolt (First gen trans pan)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-13, 10:41 AM
PlotPoint
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is the "A" bolt (First gen trans pan)?

For the transmission pan reseal, the instructions say to replace the "A" bolt (and also the drain plug gasket and a new drain bolt). I have the drain plug gasket and a new drain bolt, but what is the "A" bolt? I talked to a parts guy at a Lexus dealership who said there were three kinds of bolts on the transpan: The bolts that go all around the pan, the drain plug bolt, and a bolt that attaches the pan to the transmission. He said only the drain plug and the bolt that attaches the pan to the transmission were followed by an "A" in his catalog. The parts numbers for those do not have an "A" in them . I hope this makes sense.

Anyone know if the below is the correct part number for an "A" bolt for the transpan on a first gen LS400? If so, I need to find another dealership today who has it in stock (local shop doesn't have it). Here's what we 'think' it is:

9034108001 automatic transmission case plug

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 01-11-13, 11:29 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

where are you getting these instructions? - I have the Lexus factory service manual, and it does not recommend replacing any bolts during the pan reseal, just the pan gasket (of which personally I would go with a Fel-Pro rather than FIPG)
Old 01-11-13, 01:28 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
where are you getting these instructions? - I have the Lexus factory service manual, and it does not recommend replacing any bolts during the pan reseal, just the pan gasket (of which personally I would go with a Fel-Pro rather than FIPG)
If what you are seeing doesn't recommend replacing that bolt then I am not going to worry about it. The instructions were from a service manual for a later model LS400 so maybe replacing an A boilt doesn't apply to first gen models. Your input appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-11-13, 02:52 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

now it is true that if you drained the transmission via the drain plug, prior to removing the pan (which most people do) then you do need to replace both the drain bolt and its metal ring gasket - no other bolts require replacement, and some Lexus dealerships suck the fluid out prior to dropping the pan, so they don't have to replace anything!
Old 01-11-13, 10:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the "A" bolt you are referring to is indeed recco'd for replacement, it is the middle bolt on the rearward edge of the trans pan.

FSM:

I recco using standard FIPG, properly applied.
Old 01-12-13, 12:23 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

the manual page you show is from the 98-2000 generation, the 96 FSM has no step of replacing the "A" bolt, and he has a 91 model
Old 01-12-13, 05:15 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

I could not find an A bolt in time, so went with re-using it. Everything seems to be just fine. Got the FIPG on there with proper placement and thickness (everything cleaned up spic and span first of course) and then snugged it down to spec, etc. I'll know more after a week or so of driving, but I don't anticipate any problems. My preference would have been to replace that bolt (even if the service manual for first gens doesn't require that specifically) mostly because, well, it couldn't hurt, but I had no time to order up or locate the part. And knowing that it wasn't required kind of made that decision easier. I appreciate and benefit from both of your viewpoints btw,
Old 01-12-13, 05:59 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I feel that FIPG is the wrong choice for a tranny pan replacement, unless the transmission is completely removed from the car, and yamae agrees.

did you not read my Guide to FIPG vs. other gasket materials for a perfect tranny pan seal - it explains a lot of the technical reasons why.
Old 01-13-13, 03:50 AM
PlotPoint
Driver

Well, we'll see what happens. There was nothing in the pan when we got it off -- no debris, metal shavings, and no bits of FIPG. Nothing other than a VERY minimal amount of sludge around a magnet -- completely normal.. As I said, the original seal lasted forever but finally started leaking about 3-4 years(?) ago. I had it resealed with FIPG and no, that did not hold, but again, I think it had to do with the application. This time I did my research and hopefully got a cleaner/better job done. I wound up not waiting five or six hours before filling back the ATF IV fluid, which is what I wanted to do, because it was just too inconvenient. I reread the instructions in the FIPG box and it said the engine could be started in 1 to 2 hours. I let it sit for a little more than three hours before adding back fluids though, which is way longer than most mechanics would have waited. Just a guess. I am going to call a dealership tomorrow and ask them how long they wait, just out of curiosity. Anyway, it this doesn't work, then I will next use your post and go that route.

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
I feel that FIPG is the wrong choice for a tranny pan replacement, unless the transmission is completely removed from the car, and yamae agrees.

did you not read my Guide to FIPG vs. other gasket materials for a perfect tranny pan seal - it explains a lot of the technical reasons why.