LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Having a Problem with my LS and I know this gs forum but I know you guys know so much

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-02, 05:58 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having a Problem with my LS and I know this gs forum but I know you guys know so much

Here is the info it is a 1991 LS400 with only 33,000 miles on it. The car is driven about 4 miles a day to work. Today I put the car in gear (drive). Had my foot on the brake and the rear tires started to spin out. My co worker though I was trying to spin out the tires. So I made sure my foot wasn't hitting the gas and it wasn't but the rear tire were still spinning out. Almost like the rear brakes wernt working. It stoped after a bit. Do you think this is a transmission problem or a rear brake problem. Just to recap my foot was on the brake and the car was in gear and the real tires kept spinning. The only thing I guess that stoped me from going anyone was my front brakes...DOnt know if this matters the car was cold...If anyone has any ideas I would greatly apperciate your help. Thanks

Again I am sorry for posting this here but I need help
Old 12-10-02, 06:13 PM
TerryTCL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think your rear brakes need to be bled...

too much air in the brake lines messes up the biasing of the brakes.

60%/40% could turn into 90%/10% with too much air in the lines.
basically, what you're experiencing is brake torquing...
Old 12-10-02, 06:30 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

I think thats it thanks
Old 12-10-02, 06:45 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

first, if you are not pushing on the gas pedal, then the engine should idle around 6-700 rpm. which mean you WILL NOT able to spin out. (torque converter is free spin now, you should not spin the tire)

I don't think there is anything wrong with your brake, check the tach, what is your engine speed what that happen?
is it at 2000 or more?

2 possible problems:
-torque convert or some transmission component is not working correctly.

-your throttle cable is too old and get stuck, which keep the throttle plate open too much

unless you are spraying NOS, you will not gonna spin out in D idle. especially you already on the brake. even the brake is not working right, at under 1K engine speed, just don't have enouf torque to do this. you are not parking on ice are you? I would check the throttle cable first

Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 12-10-02 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-10-02, 06:57 PM
TerryTCL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

banana, you're correct...

if it happens only during start up... and goes away.

the idle air bypass could be open and be higher than regular hot idle rpm.

if this is the case, then it could be possible that the rear tires have enough torque to break loose with the combination of the brake problem.
Old 12-10-02, 07:16 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

moving to proper forum now that you got some GS attention.
Old 12-10-02, 08:27 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

I was on an Ice patch. I was thinking the brake light came on like a month ago and would go on and off so I just poured brake fluid in. The light hasn't come on but now this. You think since I was on ice that wheels would spin at such low rpm? Thank you guys so much
Old 12-10-02, 08:33 PM
GJSGS4
Driver

Were the rear tires on ice or snow? When the engine is cold it will idle at a higher RPM producing more torque. If you brake lightly the rear brakes may not stop the higher torque and the rear wheels will spin. I had a Mercedes that did this and it was really scary when you tried to stop from a slow speed in the snow or ice. The front wheels would lockup and skid has the rear tires would still be pushing the car. I learned to shift the car into neutral before coming to a slow speed stop on snow and ice.
Old 12-12-02, 10:51 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Are you just barely touching the brakes? Otherwise...

GET YOUR CAR BRAKES FIXED IMMEDIATELY.

The rear brakes are not functioning correctly and this is very dangerous ESPECIALLY in slippery conditions. Could be air in the lines or something else like a failed flex line or seal allowing the fluid to drain from the rears. This can still leave the fronts functioning but without rear brakes. Most braking is done with the front brakes but a without the rears you could easily loose control of the car.
Old 01-01-03, 03:20 PM
95ls400
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by purebliss
I was on an Ice patch. I was thinking the brake light came on like a month ago and would go on and off so I just poured brake fluid in. The light hasn't come on but now this. You think since I was on ice that wheels would spin at such low rpm? Thank you guys so much
You poured more brake fluid in so possible your braking system is leaking brake fluid some where. Normally, car doesn't need brake fluid. A leak in the brake system will cause pressure drop in brake lines and render the brake system useless. This is dangerous situation.