LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

94 LS400 owner needing selling/parting advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-13, 02:30 AM
porsche930
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 LS400 owner needing selling/parting advice

Hey everyone. New to the forum. I have had my 94 LS400 for a while now but im selling my home and moving across the US. I would rather sell or part the vehicle than pay for shipping. When i purchased the car i lost the title which was a huge issue because i could not get in touch with the PO. So for the past 6 months i have not been able to do much with the car. A week ago while packing/unpacking i found the title. My question to you all is what is the best way to get rid of the car. Should i go get the title in my name and sell it as a whole or part it out. And if selling it as a whole how much are these cars bringing these days. Little info. on vehicle - 94 LS400 White on Tan. Clean carfax. 190k miles. Great exterior and interior and runs and shifts great. 2 issues are crack in windshield and gauge lights flicker. I would appreciate any help. thanks
Old 01-04-13, 07:50 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to sell it as a whole, get the title in your name. Title issues are dealbreakers for most, esp in some states. Even if you part it out, some states won't let you sell the chassis to a wrecker if you don't have the title. Unless you sawzall it into pieces.

Broken windshield will drop your price a couple hundred, even if you price it accordingly buyers will try to talk you down further because of it. Cluster lights flickering, ditto, nobody wants to drive a car if they can't read the gauges at night. Easy fix but most buyers may not be as saavy as those on this forum. That said, peruse your local craigslists to see what they are being listed for.

Around here prices have gone up and it seems most are being listed for at least $2,200. 1st gens might have hit the bottom of their curve and starting to come back up a little, the 2nd gens seem to be heading towards the bottom of their curve as you see more 2nd gens priced very similarly to 1st gens as opposed to a year or two ago. If you can wait for tax time you'll get even more money or at least get your asking price quicker.

If you do part out, the things that would bring good money are the ECU, climate control, cluster (even if it is flickering) power steering pump and rack if they aren't leaking. Body panels and interior would have to be a local deal as shipping costs might limit your market. Engines won't bring much, those things don't really break and there's a glut of them in yards all over the country. Tranny would sell, but again, shipping might limit your market.

Parting out will take awhile unless you firesale everything. Even then you'll be stuck pulling, organizing, listing and shipping or waiting around for buyers to meet you. Probably not the best choice if you're about to move and want the most money out of it with the least hassle.
Old 01-04-13, 10:21 AM
porsche930
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the info. I got the title this morning in my name. No issues. I listed it on craigslist and have a bunch of people interested in it for 2k. Thats a start at least.
Old 01-04-13, 02:13 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

good luck with craigslist. I've always found it a chore.

I'll leave this thread open as long as there are no parts requests, this isn't the classifieds people.
Old 01-05-13, 05:26 AM
porsche930
Driver School Candidate

I understand this is not the for sale section. New to this forum but not new to forums in general. I have an FD rx7 and a mk4 supra. Im always on the supraforums.com and rx7-club.com and understand what would happen if you post in the wrong section.

I made this post because i dont know anything about the ls400 market but understand many people like these cars and if they were worth something these days i didnt want to sell myself short.

Also your right about craigslist, its allready becoming a chore. To many tire kickers and low ballers. Then the people who do make an ok offer do not seem to follow through.