LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Car Phone wire to antenna wire?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-12, 11:51 AM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Phone wire to antenna wire?

I was wondering how I could extend the car phone wire to the antenna wire? I don't know if you can just take a regular 6 foot coaxle wire and ajoin the two? Where does the antenna wire disconnect from the antenna mast?

Was looking at it lastnight and I didn't see where the antenna wire would disconnect from the mast so that I could join these two.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6998091-post8.html
Old 12-16-12, 04:01 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The antenna wire is a thick black wire that plugs into the antenna motor assembly.
Pull the carpet around the antenna and you cant miss it.

Although Ive never done this mod, I would assume that you can use either a coaxial or regular antenna extension wire.
Ive seen it where people just touch the leads from each wire and tape it up then claim good results. I cant back this since ive never done it but that seems to be the general consensus on how do do the mod.
Old 12-16-12, 04:30 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Yeah, I knew that much, I just need more clarification on whether people were clipping the antenna wire from their antenna mast or if there is a disconnect for it somewhere. Don't want to clip wires that didn't have to be clipped in the first place.
Old 12-16-12, 06:20 PM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

If u figure out how to do it can u take pic so everyone who wanna do it will kno how
Old 12-16-12, 08:39 PM
BobN54
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would just unplug the radio's antenna cable from the antenna mast/motor assembly. Then use a standard antenna wire extension cable to extend it over to the other side of the trunk and connect to the cell phone antenna wire. I would not cut the factory antenna cable coming from the radio.
Old 12-16-12, 11:04 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BobN54
I would just unplug the radio's antenna cable from the antenna mast/motor assembly. Then use a standard antenna wire extension cable to extend it over to the other side of the trunk and connect to the cell phone antenna wire. I would not cut the factory antenna cable coming from the radio.
Yeah, exactly my thoughts, just when I pulled all the covers and looked at the antenna mast and motor, there was no plug for the antenna. Just a wire that went into the cabin from the trunk and then to the mast, and then some OEM wrap around it.

However, that was just a quick glance, didn't check for a disconnect down the line, unsure if there's one right before it enters the trunk, or maybe if you unravel the mast tape, there's just a bolt, no idea.

I'll check on it tomorrow though. Guess a trip to Radio Shack for some antenna wire is in order.

Never would have cared but when I heard that utilizing that car phone wire makes it so that you get pretty much the same reception if the antenna was up, I'm all for it. Should have that done in the next couple days, i'll post updates and pics if/when I get it done.
Old 07-21-13, 04:40 PM
Discer
Driver School Candidate

Did you ever finish this mod? I'm getting ready to do this to my 91 LS400. There used to be a thread about connecting the radio wire to the phone antenna. The guy was getting bashed though because he didn't solder it. I can't find that thread anywhere anymore.