LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Head gasket issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-12, 12:42 PM
rucker67
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket issues

I have a 96 LS400, check engine light & traction light came on and start flashing...to it to a local shop (Pep Boys) and at first they said I needed new plugs...while changing out the plugs they noticed coolant on the #8 plug and cylinder...they said I needed a new head gaskets, keep in mind there was only coolant on the #8 plug all the other plugs were dry....do I need new head gaskets or is there something else thats causing the problem...the vehicle only has 178k miles on it and I've on ls400 before with over 300k miles with no headgasket problems...anyone advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-15-12, 12:55 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

take it elsewhere...
Old 12-15-12, 01:13 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

+1 Get second diagnosis from a good shop. If you don't know any check out Angie's List or reviews online. The shops that specialize in Japanese brands are often pretty decent. You will save a lot of money if buy your own parts (even OEM) online and just pay for labor. This is what I do for all my repairs.
Old 12-15-12, 01:39 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Head gasket issues will have other symptoms accompanying it:

1. White smoke on running even after engine is warm.
2. Loss of coolant.
3. Coolant is contaminated with oil.

Any recent history of it overheating? When was the last cooling system maintenance?
How did they know there was coolant in the cylinder? How many miles on car?

Definitely get another mechanic to look at it.
Old 12-15-12, 04:31 PM
rucker67
Driver School Candidate

No overheating problems since I've had it, the temp gauge always stayed below the halfway marker even when I was running on the highway. The CEL and Trac Off light just started flashing last night, took it to the shop and they showed me coolant in one of the spark plug cylinders after they alledgely conducted a pressure test on the coolant system. The #8 cyclinder was the only cylinder with coolant in it, there was no coolant in the oil, no loss of coolant and no smoke coming from exhaust.
Old 12-15-12, 05:35 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

get a second opinion from a reputable shop or dealer.

pepboys is neither.
Old 12-15-12, 06:34 PM
rucker67
Driver School Candidate

I want to thank you all for you input I'll definitely get a 2nd opinion on Monday from a reputable dealer...it doesn't make sense to have coolant in just one cylinder, I would think that if I had a bad head gasket coolant would be in all the cylinders or at least in all the cylinders on the one side...either way I definitely appreciate the info from all you guys or ladies on this forum....hope it's something less than $3k lol
Old 12-15-12, 10:14 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can have coolant in only one cylinder from a failed head gasket.
There are multiple ways a HG can fail, all of which can cause different symptoms/effects.

Also, if you are going to buy your own parts, talk to the shop you are going to use BEFORE you buy your parts to confirm they will do the work. Many shops will not allow you to do such things for warranty reasons, which could leave you with non-returnable parts or restocking fees to swallow! It's a tough pill to swallow if a customer comes back with a problem, its a defective part and now the car is laid up indefinitely while the customer is waiting on warranty approval from where ever they got the part from. There is also the issue of placing blame on the part/labour/misuse/whatever. It can be a very tricky situation to be in for both the shop and car owner. I personally will not perform a job on a customers car if they supply their own parts, regardless of where they came from, unless they sign off and waive their right to any warranty on labour. The potential liability risks, no matter how small the risk, are not worth the headache. My first boss got raked over the coals for doing such things. After 3years and 2 court visits, he was out of pocket $10,000 for a $700 issue he did not cause, simply because he said yes to such a situation. So if a shop says no to supplying your own parts, ask around some more or ask if they can price match or even buy through your source and only mark up a small percentage for book-keeping if at all. If you have a deal better than they get, sometimes they'll charge you straight across as they now have a source for a wider margin on parts in the future.
Old 12-16-12, 06:00 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

what shmee says is true..i work at napa auto parts and deal with many shops on a daily basis..personally i know the owners of these shops and always supply my own parts (most i get from the dealer because i get a discount). i also never pay full shop rate because i refer customers who have problems with their cars to shops,and always tell the customer to let the shop know i sent them there,plus my car gets repaired(mostly maintenance as ive not had an issue with my Ls in years)while im at work...its a win win situation and i take full advantage of it, the trade off is i have to schedule only when the shop has a lull in the action. most shops will allow u to bring in ur own parts..only if they are from the dealership,not aftermarket parts...eg;oreillys,napa,autozone...etc
i also know what cars suffer from what problems. believe it or not honda cars are very problematic,whether its their transmissions or ignition failures or failures within the electronics inside the car.
u have doubts..look here
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2003/
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2002/

mercedes and bmws are the worst for reliability in my eyes..expensive to fix and always in the shop. ive only seen 1 Ls in a shop for a headgasket..they just neglected the car and it over heated,then they drove it while it was hot.

Last edited by python; 12-16-12 at 08:55 AM.