LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

CAI on a budget?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-12, 05:00 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CAI on a budget?

Anybody running a cold air intake of some sort that didn't cost a whole lot? I have built a few for other cars, but just trying to get some ideas. I have already installed a cone filter with the adapter, but I want to get rid of the plastic box just under the elbow that comes off the trottle body. I'd like to have a clean look on both sides of the motor, because i will be doing some powder coating (valve covers, intake manifold, and a few other stuff) under the hood soon.

Pics would be great too!

Mike
Old 12-13-12, 05:08 PM
Kire
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could go with an ebay kit and get a decent filter to match.
Old 12-13-12, 05:52 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the plastic box is a cool air intake. the cone filter is a downgrade.
Old 12-13-12, 05:59 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

I do understand the factory box with the peice going to the grill is a "cold air intake". BUT, I'm looking to build something that will be more efficient and also look way better. The cone filter is in the same place as the fatory filter, but is only temporary until I can get the rest of the intake done. I plan to run it down into the front fender/bumper area when its finished.
Old 12-13-12, 06:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

unless you have flow rates i'm going to call it pretty pointless. the stock setup is fine unless you're in a big FI or high end NA build.

if you insist on going through with it a water bypass is a good idea.
Old 12-13-12, 06:44 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

When you say water bypass, I'm guessing your refering to the water/coolent lines going threw the throttle body? If so, I am planning on that too. With all do respect, I didn't ask whether or not a cold air intake was worth the effort. I just want to have a clean and simple engine bay. I don't plan on doing any kind of scientific tests for flow rates, but at the same time I highly dought with the proper plumbing, size, and location, I would not see a decrease in power. But I'm not an expert, just my opinion. Thank you for the feedback, but I'm just trying to see if anybody else has done something like this and what route they went.
Old 12-13-12, 08:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

a water bypass for a cold air intake, so that when you drive through a deep puddle you don't suck up a ton of water and hydrolock the motor.

ie this, from AEM
Old 12-14-12, 02:00 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Never have understood why people don't understand that just because 100's or 1000's of firms make aftermarket "improvements" to Toyota's factory engineering, that most of these are more about making money off of kids that don't know any better, rather than really improving on Toyota's engineering - I could probably count the firms in all of the world who could out-engineer Toyota on one hand.

Why do folks fall for this time and time again, and assume every aftermarket piece of crap is a definite "improvement"?
Old 12-14-12, 02:58 AM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because the op "highly doubts that he would not see a decrease in power".

Sounds to me like he doesnt want an improvement.
Old 12-14-12, 01:26 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Of course I would love to see an improvement. I ment that I dought I "would" see a decrease in power. And just for the record, the whole reason I started this thread was to see what other people have done as far as improving the car. I didn't start the thread to claim i know more than the next guy, or anything like that. Puredrifter, thanks for the suggestions
Old 12-14-12, 01:38 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

the point I was making, is that the LS400 is one of the best engineered cars ever made, if not THE best, so 98% of so-called improvements are really making the car worse, not better!
Old 12-14-12, 01:53 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I could see a ram air style intake being better then stock for drag racing. Something big and right there by the MAF and TB. Somethng along the lines of this.
Attached Thumbnails CAI on a budget?-intake2.jpg   CAI on a budget?-intake.jpg  
Old 12-14-12, 03:39 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
the point I was making, is that the LS400 is one of the best engineered cars ever made, if not THE best, so 98% of so-called improvements are really making the car worse, not better!
I do agree with you. I guess the only way to surely tell would be to put the car on a dyno before and after. After I come up with some sort of design, maybe I'll see about doing that just to see what the results are. With a simple mod like this, it might just take some dyno numbers to see if it did any good or not.

A ram air style intake would be nice, but because mine is a 93 it wouldn't be set up like those in the pictures.
Old 12-14-12, 07:43 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
Never have understood why people don't understand that just because 100's or 1000's of firms make aftermarket "improvements" to Toyota's factory engineering, that most of these are more about making money off of kids that don't know any better, rather than really improving on Toyota's engineering - I could probably count the firms in all of the world who could out-engineer Toyota on one hand.

Why do folks fall for this time and time again, and assume every aftermarket piece of crap is a definite "improvement"?
Hey hey. An improvement in the wrong direction is an improvement nonetheless.
Old 12-14-12, 09:11 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe I'll put a 90degree elbow coming off the throttle body threw the hood. That should get plenty of airflow.

Quick Reply: CAI on a budget?