LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Aftermarket Air Intake Hose (Flex) - Return it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-12, 10:50 AM
PlotPoint
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Air Intake Hose (Flex) - Return it?

Ok, new for the first gen Lexus it cost 75, so I found one online for 30'ish with a promise that it was 'good quality'. It's got that accordion shape to it.

When I opened the package, it gave off a really strong rubbery smell, which is to be expected, but this smelled super strong and kind of chemical-ly in a way that made me concerned about what volatile compounds it could be 'emitting' (that would or could contaminate the engine air). I'm airing it out and debating what to do.

The look of it: It's black (of course), but appears to have a chalky film that is in the folds of the pleats and also on other areas. This chalky look is also on the pleats in the interior of the tube. On the exterior, when I rubbed it, the film (which is not greasy) ***** up and comes off. Should I send this thing back or is this normal?

The only other thing I noticed is that it has two seams. In other words, it's two pieces that have been fused together to make the tube. The rubber looks pretty thick and solid and the seams look solid as well.

I have no idea if the original hose has 'seams'. I kind of think it does not. It's scrunched on the car and I won't know until the mechanic takes it off to replace it (it's split but the pleats are so scrunched up that it's still air tight -- at least we think it is).

The OEM hose lasted 15 years. So was this a dumb purchase? It's still returnable if I change my mind. Would appreciate feedback on whether the whitish stuff on there is normal. It's not bright white, btw, just a film of grey white chalkiness in certain areas.
Old 12-12-12, 11:34 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pictures? It should be fine.
Old 12-12-12, 12:02 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

It's not that hard to find 25% off Lexus price online, why put some silly Chinese crap on your Japanese flagship of engineering to save $20-$30?

especially in an area exposed to gaseous corrosive blowback fumes?

PS - Park Place has free shipping on orders over $100
Old 12-12-12, 10:47 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
It's not that hard to find 25% off Lexus price online, why put some silly Chinese crap on your Japanese flagship of engineering to save $20-$30?

especially in an area exposed to gaseous corrosive blowback fumes?

PS - Park Place has free shipping on orders over $100
Ok, I have a query in to an OEM parts supplier. Want to know if the OEM part is seamless (the tube was all molded as once piece) and if so I will order it up. I have a 60 day window in which to return the other part. It's aired out and lost a lot of that really strong odor and while the quality of the rubber looks ok (pretty thick), my concern is that it has seams. Stand to reason those are going to split at some point due to engine heat etc.
Old 12-12-12, 10:51 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Originally Posted by dengman
pictures? It should be fine.
nice looking car you have there. sorry, no parts pics possible at the moment (camera failed!). i am sure it would work for a time but i'll go the oem route for peace of mind. maybe hoses aren't the part on which i should look to save $.
Old 12-13-12, 12:13 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I would be more worried about the mystery Chinese rubber-like compound and a possible weird chemical reaction to engine blowback fumes (the same gunk that gums up your throttle butterfly that is a few inches from this tube), than I would be worried about the seam splitting.

kind of like you can't just choose any old plastic jug to hold gasoline or other solvents safely, you need to match up the recycle triangle code from the same one that gasoline cans are made of!
Old 12-13-12, 06:13 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The hose pattern look like this?
Old 12-13-12, 07:33 AM
PlotPoint
Driver

I would be more worried about the mystery Chinese rubber-like compound and a possible weird chemical reaction to engine blowback fumes (the same gunk that gums up your throttle butterfly that is a few inches from this tube), than I would be worried about the seam splitting.

kind of like you can't just choose any old plastic jug to hold gasoline or other solvents safely, you need to match up the recycle triangle code from the same one that gasoline cans are made of!
Thanks for the detail. I wasn't sure what that part could potentially gum up but common sense told me that having some residue on it (most importantly, the interior pleats) -- residue that I could rub and roll off -- could not be good! NO thanks.
Old 12-13-12, 07:39 AM
PlotPoint
Driver

Originally Posted by dengman

The hose pattern look like this?

No curve to it, just a straight (wide diameter) tube about 5 or 6 inches in length, accordion pleated and open at both ends.
Old 12-13-12, 10:11 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

post pics compared to the OEM piece please.
do you have a link to the place where you bought the part from?
does your phone not have a camera on it?

most bellows type intake tubes are 2 pieces from the OEM manufacturers. it is very difficult and cost-impractical to produce a extruded one piece intake tube that includes a flexible bellows section. what is found with OEM units is they typically finish the seem better than the aftermarket units.

the white chalky residue is plastic mould release, again OEM's typically remove this through media tumbling or another method; however, even OEMs can come like this or coated in a special plastic oil.
the smell is like most new plastic parts.
go poke your head under the hood of a new car on a showroom and have a good deep snort of those intake tubes, they have a distinct smell as well.
the smell on yours would likely be different due to the different chemicals used to mold and release the tube itself during manufacturing.

without seeing the part side by side with the OEM part, telling you to use it or send it back based on how it smells or the chalky residue is irrelevant. if the part is not the same then who cares what it smells like, you should send it back. if the part is the same as the OEM, then it's a matter of either cleaning it up a bit or sending it back if you are honestly worried about it.
some people like to make mountains out of mole hills, a shot of brake clean and a little scrub with some scothbrite pads could make the tube perfectly usable.

outgassing of plastics post MAF is not something i'd be terribly worried about, more that new tube will collapse under vacuum would be a concern.

also, if you are unable to change a part yourself, nor identify if it is the right part or not on your own, you probably should not be buying parts for your car so a mechanic can install them for you.
not to be rude but you have to give us more info, we cannot divine an answer from partial info.
Old 12-13-12, 10:52 AM
SSAstro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

return it. dont want to take any chances
Old 12-22-12, 07:55 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Originally Posted by Shmee
post pics compared to the OEM piece please.
do you have a link to the place where you bought the part from?
does your phone not have a camera on it?

most bellows type intake tubes are 2 pieces from the OEM manufacturers. it is very difficult and cost-impractical to produce a extruded one piece intake tube that includes a flexible bellows section. what is found with OEM units is they typically finish the seem better than the aftermarket units.

the white chalky residue is plastic mould release, again OEM's typically remove this through media tumbling or another method; however, even OEMs can come like this or coated in a special plastic oil.
the smell is like most new plastic parts.
go poke your head under the hood of a new car on a showroom and have a good deep snort of those intake tubes, they have a distinct smell as well.
the smell on yours would likely be different due to the different chemicals used to mold and release the tube itself during manufacturing.

without seeing the part side by side with the OEM part, telling you to use it or send it back based on how it smells or the chalky residue is irrelevant. if the part is not the same then who cares what it smells like, you should send it back. if the part is the same as the OEM, then it's a matter of either cleaning it up a bit or sending it back if you are honestly worried about it.
some people like to make mountains out of mole hills, a shot of brake clean and a little scrub with some scothbrite pads could make the tube perfectly usable.

outgassing of plastics post MAF is not something i'd be terribly worried about, more that new tube will collapse under vacuum would be a concern.

also, if you are unable to change a part yourself, nor identify if it is the right part or not on your own, you probably should not be buying parts for your car so a mechanic can install them for you.
not to be rude but you have to give us more info, we cannot divine an answer from partial info.
Update: I finally just asked Lexus directly. They confirmed the OEM is made with seams and that the part can have white chalky smears here and there. The guy I talked to said he has seen that on OEM air intake hoses. This part is identical to the one on the car (I took it out and compared) and appears to be of good quality. Now that it's sat out for a week+, it smells like any other car part/hose. I got it off eBay from a 'reputable' seller (high rating). If I am not mistaken, the part is stamped with the same part number as the OEM. Not sure what to make of that. If the part does not work out, I will post back here. Pretty sure it's OK though.
Old 12-22-12, 11:11 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I finally just asked Lexus directly. They confirmed the OEM is made with seams and that the part can have white chalky smears here and there. The guy I talked to said he has seen that on OEM air intake hoses. This part is identical to the one on the car (I took it out and compared) and appears to be of good quality. Now that it's sat out for a week+, it smells like any other car part/hose. I got it off eBay from a 'reputable' seller (high rating). If I am not mistaken, the part is stamped with the same part number as the OEM. Not sure what to make of that.
sounds like someone trying to talk themselves into the cheaper part they already bought

It's really simple, just go down to the Lexus dealership and look at the real Toyota part and compare them in person, anything else is just hearsay!
Old 12-23-12, 03:32 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

sounds like someone trying to talk themselves into the cheaper part they already bought

It's really simple, just go down to the Lexus dealership and look at the real Toyota part and compare them in person, anything else is just hearsay!
I don't look forward to making a return, that's much is true. I have dealt with this one parts guy at Lexus who probably would not mind me bringing the part by to compare. I'll post back if I do that.
Old 12-24-12, 04:13 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^^
???

What is?