LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

So I was detailing the car today.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 04:24 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So I was detailing the car today.

I cleaned all the rubber seals all around the doors/trunk, leather, wood, removed years of dust and dirt from all the crevices. This car had huge dust clumps all around most of the buttons. It looked horrible, but it looks great now. I'll post pics tomorrow.

I also removed what seemed to be the original cabin air filter. It was basically a mini sand box. It was overfilling with dust, Unbelievable... Anyway new cabin air filter installed. Pro tip: Put in a nice smelling fabric freshener on top of the cabin air filter. Replace it every month or so. I've already detailed the engine bay a few days ago, interior was done today, now I'm awaiting my aircraft wax to come in and I'll get to claying/polishing/ and waxing!

I left all the doors open and the sound system playing for most of the day so I ran the battery down... I decided to take the car out for a spin and I can't start teh it. I shouldn't have left the sound system on. All I get is a CLICK sound everytime i go to start. It's not that metallic click you get from the starter issue, it's more of a "hey you bloody idiot, you left your sound system on" kind of click.

I tried to jump it with my little Mitsubishi mirage coupe but to no avail. I'm guessing the battery in the mirage is just too small to have any effect on helping start the LS.

I'm probably gonna remove the battery and have it checked out by autozone. The battery still has juice, but I'm guessing I'm not getting the required 12amps? or so that's needed to start the LS. I'll update this thread.
Old 12-11-12, 04:35 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

how old is the battery? - if it is 4 or more years old, you need to replace it anyway!

I have found my favorite
battery charger ever battery charger ever
and it's cheap!!

if you leave things like this on a lot, try a deep cycle marine battery, that way the battery thinks you are in a boat running the trolling motor and will not run down easily!

also, here is the
best Lexus polisher best Lexus polisher
I have ever used!! (it's the one the pros use)

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 12-11-12 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-11-12, 04:59 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
how old is the battery? - if it is 4 or more years old, you need to replace it anyway!

I have found my favorite battery charger ever and it's cheap!!

if you leave things like this on a lot, try a deep cycle marine battery, that way the battery thinks you are in a boat running the trolling motor and will not run down easily!

also, here is thebest Lexus polisher I have ever used!! (it's the one the pros use)

I used to have a makita polisher then one day it died. LOL used it wayyy too much. =)

Last edited by dengman; 12-11-12 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-11-12, 05:06 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Thanks for the tip LScowboy.

I likely do need a new battery. This was looks to be well over 4 years old. It's a cheap brand auto-something battery. I'd like to see if I can jump her back to life though. The thing that gets me is that all other electronics still work in the car and headlights come on just fine, but the damned thing doesn't want to start.

Maybe I'll try to find a friend with a large pick up truck to help me jump start it. I'll have to look into that marine deep cycle battery when I go looking for a new one.

Wow, that is a nice cheap battery charger. I may just have to order that to avoid situations like this.

That polishing kit is really awesome too, but I always hand polish. It takes forever, but I prefer that route since I'm more comfortable with it.

Since we're recommending products here's my recommendation to anyone that is searching for the ultimate wax. This stuff is simply amazing, recommended to me from Benzworld members.

Collinite 845
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-14-12, 05:21 AM
SaleenS7
Driver

Just to update everyone with this issue:

I was able to eventually start the car later that night before I went to bed. I just figured I'd give it one more shot and it worked. Maybe trying to jump start the car had some sort of effect after all.

So i drove the car to o'reilly auto parts to get the battery tested. So they tested it and the told me the battery needs replacing... It's a 3 year old battery. =/ The good news is according to their diagnostic tool the alternator and starter are just fine.

I took it to autozone for another analysis and they said everything is good with the battery and starter/alternator. It's been starting fine the past couple days so I'll see what happens in the next few weeks with this issue.

I think it was all a simple case of draining an old battery down.
Old 12-14-12, 06:16 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

the cd changer in the dash, if you have one, is still powered at all times. FYI. Drains my battery along with whatever else is still powered. My battery died on me 3 times this year after sitting for 2-3 weeks. tends to not die if i dont use my alarm when its inside my storage garage.
Old 12-14-12, 10:12 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

a big factor on whether a car will jump start or not, is the gauge of copper in your jumper cables, I learned the hard way long ago not to cheap out - mine were over $100 and look like welding cables!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 12-14-12 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-14-12, 10:19 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

the cd changer in the dash, if you have one, is still powered at all times.
ummmm...... it's not supposed to be, and wasn't from the factory! - sounds like some questionable aftermarket electrical work has been done on this car!
Old 12-14-12, 11:37 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if you have not properly charged the battery, do so. the alternator is not capable of charging a battery, only maintaining the charge of the battery. it will put a surface charge on the battery strong enough to start the car in most cases but you are forcing the alternator to work excessively hard to keep the battery up and keep the car running.
Also, testing a battery/charging/starting system with a battery that is not properly charged will give false results on the test(s). Continual use of a low battery can eventually lead to premature alternator failure.

Put the battery on a proper charger for a night, and get it retested.
also, being only 3 years old means nothing. If any lead-acid battery sits for longer than a few months it starts to sulphate, permanently reducing it's capacity. additionally, running a battery dead numerous times also reduces the life of the battery drastically. The quality warranty on the battery typically denotes the quality and age range to be expected. A 24/36month battery usually wont last much longer than it's warranty denotes in ideal conditions, same with a 72/84/96 month battery...

same thing goes with trickle chargers. they only maintain the state of the battery as it is when it is connected. I see it alot with motorcycles where a bike comes out of winter storage, had a trickle charger on it and the owner gets maybe a couple of rides out of it before it wont start. The battery wont take a charge yet is only a year old. Owner always will say that had a trickle charger on it, when asked if they properly charged the battery before they put the trickle charger on it, the answer is always no. From that point on, owner puts the battery on a proper charger then on a trickle charger or buys a trickle charge with a built in charger and never has a problem again.

so get your battery properly charged.
Old 12-14-12, 11:42 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
ummmm...... it's not supposed to be, and wasn't from the factory! - sounds like some questionable aftermarket electrical work has been done on this car!
https://www.google.com/search?q=ls40...47%3B640%3B480

It ejects key out meaning its powered. I've ripped my dash apart theres no wiring alterations.
Old 12-14-12, 01:00 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The Optima red or yellow top is a great battery to go with if you need one. I was away for over 40 days with alarm on and everything hooked up and she fired right up like nothing. Plus no corrosion on the gel battery is nice. I think mine ejects whenever as well.
Old 12-14-12, 01:07 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

The Optima red or yellow top is a great battery
it should be a great battery, it costs as much as some cars!
Old 12-14-12, 01:11 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Consumer Reports says the Cosco Kirkland's are good batteries as well.
Old 12-14-12, 01:14 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Optima does make good batteries...
I have never found the extra money for them to be worth it but that's also because the discount structure isn't as deep as other options, like the high end AC Delco batteries!

Also be aware, if you are going to step up to high end batteries, know what you are buying.
AGM batteries are amazing but REQUIRE special chargers, use of a standard charger can kill these batteries almost instantly. found that out the hard way with a $195 Race battery.
They also do not take well to getting run down flat or for extended acc use with the car off unless they come with a large reserve capacity
Old 12-14-12, 01:19 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I think I paid $140 for the red top. Not bad considering the others were right at $100 or so.

Quick Reply: So I was detailing the car today.