LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1LS ABS/TRAC delete

Old 12-11-12, 12:18 AM
nismo4life
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1LS ABS/TRAC delete

So my TRAC system is being rather finicky and frankly I could care less you have it in the vehicle. I'm shortly going to begin a 5spd swap on my LS to turn it into a mild drift car. The idea of retaining ABS would be nice since I can just pull the fuse/relay for events and put it back in to drive home, but upon doing some research I've learned that the systems are interconnected with each other, so my question to you guys is this.

Can I remove the TRAC module and lines, yet keep the ABS accumulator installed and the system functioning properly?

Should I even keep ABS? I won't really be driving this car unless its to a drift event, to some car shows, or in the summer during nice weather. Never really had a vehicle without ABS so I have no idea what the threshold is before the tires lock.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-11-12, 01:32 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

(putting the year (not just 1ls) in this type of thread helps a LOT.)

to answer the main question- yes.

just find a throttle body from a non-traction control LS and run the vac lines as they are in those cars. ABS should still work fine.
Old 12-11-12, 09:55 PM
nismo4life
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
(putting the year (not just 1ls) in this type of thread helps a LOT.)

to answer the main question- yes.

just find a throttle body from a non-traction control LS and run the vac lines as they are in those cars. ABS should still work fine.
Sorry didn't know there were any differences in the first gens. Car is a '92. Excellent. So I can ditch all the TRAC related stuff then? Also is that pressurized nitrogren cylinder next to the brake booster part of the TRAC system?
Old 12-12-12, 05:27 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is part of the TRAC. I think it's called the pump and accumulator.

On TRAC equipped cars I thought the ABS actuator(? I forget what the part is called) is split into two parts where one controls the front brakes and the other controls the rear brakes. And the part that controls the rear brakes is part of TRAC, not ABS. The pump and actuator have a line going to and from this rear piece of the ABS.

I removed ABS and TRAC on mine. I have to try if I want to lock the brakes.
Old 12-21-12, 01:34 PM
nismo4life
Driver

Originally Posted by mikes7ke
That is part of the TRAC. I think it's called the pump and accumulator.

On TRAC equipped cars I thought the ABS actuator(? I forget what the part is called) is split into two parts where one controls the front brakes and the other controls the rear brakes. And the part that controls the rear brakes is part of TRAC, not ABS. The pump and actuator have a line going to and from this rear piece of the ABS.

I removed ABS and TRAC on mine. I have to try if I want to lock the brakes.
If its really that hard to lock them up, I'll just take all the crap out and run without them. Less weight = better drifties .