LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

how to check 98 LS timing belt condition?

Old 12-02-12, 10:09 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to check 98 LS timing belt condition?

I had been driving a lovely 98 ls 400 for the past 2,000 miles and 5 months and love it.

I bought her with 125,000 and now has 127,500 or so

No marks on if the TB has ever been changed and no way for me to find out from the old owner and the Lexus serial check offers nothing.

It's been in Ohio all it's life and I drive it easy.

How can I check visually to see the condition of the belt and if it's been changed?
don't really wanna pay $50 for a shop to tell me

I only plan to drive her another 4-5,000 miles so dumping money if not needed is always a thought.
Old 12-02-12, 11:24 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

There is really not a wayto check it visually. Most people follow the maintenece schedule. I have read about the belt goin 50k over, but I wouldnt push it that far. With your model if it breaks it could cause alot of damage.
Old 12-02-12, 11:25 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

the problem is she is maintained well before me otherwise.. so I would have no idea if someone DID change it and didn't mark it....
Old 12-02-12, 11:32 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

if you can do basic auto repairs, it is not that difficult to pull a cam cover and take a peek at the timing belt, though I doubt anyone is going to do it for only $50 - and if they don't do that, then they cannot tell you the condition of the timing belt.

you know, you can bring your VIN number to any Lexus dealership and they will print you out the complete service history for free!! (most LS400's on the road today have had all of their major maintenance, such as a timing belt, done at the dealership)
Old 12-02-12, 11:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

a very unreliable way to check is to clean the dust off the crank bolt and look for marks from the socket from when it was opened up for the tming belt.

frankly if you're unsure, just presume it wasn't done and have it done.
Old 12-02-12, 11:33 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

I have a shop who works for around 50 an hour. I'll have them do this.

I did state that the lexus serial/vin history report turned up nothing.
Old 12-04-12, 09:14 PM
Italialife
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Patsum
I have a shop who works for around 50 an hour. I'll have them do this.

I did state that the lexus serial/vin history report turned up nothing.
Hello Patsum.... I live in Northern Kentucky... if you don't mind me asking what/where is the shop that has $50 labor rates? I would love to check them out if their reputable and trustworthy.. fill us in!
Old 12-05-12, 10:17 AM
Yoshiii
Driver School Candidate

I have my timing belt done next week, last time we removed some covers to get to the control arms (?? don't know the english word). we could see the belt and it still looked okay. last time in another car we also saw it and it was almost ripped apart, then you are really driving on the edge. if it still looks okay in the edges than you have less risk when you keep on driving for a little while.

and this timing belt was last replaced in 2002 with 150.000 km. now i have 278.000 and we are 10 years later.

undestructable toyota quality i've read about people who still had the belt working after 200.000. but i'm not going to gamble that.
Old 12-05-12, 12:04 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

go to your local dealership and give them your VIN number. if the car was serviced it may be in the system.

to give you peace of mind, i ran to 130k before changing mine out. the belt was cracking but i didn't see it as being close to breaking. if you are going to drive her for only another 5k miles, i would save the money and have the next person worry about it.
Old 12-05-12, 12:34 PM
denverdog
Pole Position

if you have a shop that works for $50/hr, have it done. having had it done recently will significantly increase the value of the car, because anyone looking for an ls will probably be asking about the tb/wp. if it goes on you, not only will you be stranded in the ohio winter, but you'll have to get a used engine to replace the one thatt was trashed because of the broken belt.
Old 12-05-12, 12:47 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Yoshiii
I have my timing belt done next week, last time we removed some covers to get to the control arms (?? don't know the english word). we could see the belt and it still looked okay. last time in another car we also saw it and it was almost ripped apart, then you are really driving on the edge. if it still looks okay in the edges than you have less risk when you keep on driving for a little while.

and this timing belt was last replaced in 2002 with 150.000 km. now i have 278.000 and we are 10 years later.

undestructable toyota quality i've read about people who still had the belt working after 200.000. but i'm not going to gamble that.
the control arms (even if it's not the right word, you're talking about suspension i think) then you were nowhere near the timing belt. what you saw was the DRIVE belt (aka serpentine accessory belt).
Old 12-06-12, 04:49 AM
Yoshiii
Driver School Candidate

No! To get better to a piece of that control arm, you have to go through the hood. A piece of the engine had to go lose (so also spark plugs could be replaced) and you could see the timing belt. It is funny because another car we just replaced the timing belt and this one was double as wide
Old 12-06-12, 03:34 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

No! To get better to a piece of that control arm, you have to go through the hood. A piece of the engine had to go lose (so also spark plugs could be replaced) and you could see the timing belt. It is funny because another car we just replaced the timing belt and this one was double as wide
...then it's not a control arm...
Old 12-10-12, 01:20 AM
Yoshiii
Driver School Candidate

I thought it was... the bolts of the control arm went through the suspension and it was easier to tighten it from the hood...
Old 12-10-12, 02:18 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

I thought it was... the bolts of the control arm went through the suspension and it was easier to tighten it from the hood...
you need to take some pics. the only "bolts" you can really reach from under the hood are the shock tower bolts....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to check 98 LS timing belt condition?