LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

First Gen Lexus LS400 - Fluids, Where to Buy

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-12, 07:37 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Gen Lexus LS400 - Fluids, Where to Buy

Well, I KNOW there are posts where people talk about where to get OEM parts and best deals, but what about OEM fluids and best deals? I thought I would find everything I needed on Amazon and order all up, but not so. What I am looking for (all OEM Toyota): Brake fluid, engine oil, coolant (long life), transmission fluid (ATF-Type IV), gear oil, etc. Any suggestions? I found very little of what I needed on Amazon. Does this mean I have to go to the dealership and pay their high prices?

The place I often order OEM parts from doesn't sell/ship fluids (it's a dealership that sells online at a very good discount). Maybe they don't ship fluids due to the risk factor of spillage, I am not sure.

Also, since when did brake fluid start costing nearly 20 bucks for 12 oz? I was looking at some old repair invoice and in 2009 it was $4 and some odd cents per bottle. Wow. Talking about cost of living increase. I did find some brake fluid online (Amazon) but it costs $19 for 12 oz!!

Suggestions appreciated. I have spent (wasted?) a LOT of time on this and still don't have any fix on where to go. Yes, I googled this as well and just got lost in the data.
Old 12-01-12, 07:46 PM
Jspec603
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just paid $6.09/qt of the type IV ATF at my local dealer. Not sure what the going rate elsewhere is, but I didn't feel it was all that bad of a price for a dealer fluid. And I usually cheat and get things under dealer/wholesale accounts to get the discounts.
Old 12-01-12, 08:20 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Sewell will ship but with shipping cost better off going to a toyota dealer. Unless you don't have one close.
Old 12-01-12, 08:21 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Amazon is not a good place to buy fluids. Might be ok if you are in some way out of the way location but LA has plenty to choose. The Toyota dealer will have the better prices in pretty much all areas concerning fluids over the Lexus dealer.

Plugs any auto parts supply shop.
Ignition wires, go with the factory wires.

Carson Toyota has very good prices even with delivery and local tax included. Give tham a call:
1333 East 223rd Street Carson, CA 90745
(310) 549-3131
Old 12-01-12, 08:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

other than trans fluid and coolant, i would avoid OEM Toyota.

there are much better brake fluids (ATE Super Blue and similar), Gear oils (royal purple/amsoil/mobil1/etc...), and engine oils (too many to list...) out there in the aftermarket.

I tend to buy my trans fluid and coolant locally, usually through Carson toyota (talk to Luis), westminster lexus (talk to kerry), or getting a local toyota dealership to come close.
Old 12-01-12, 08:26 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

the only fluids that really need to be genuine Toyota are the T-IV trans fluid, and the long-life red coolant and a Toyota dealer is going to have the best prices, just call the various Toyota dealers in your area and price shop it.

OIL, brake fluid, gear oil, and PS fluid are standard automotive fluids, just buy good quality (i.e. Mobil, Pennzoil, Castrol, etc)

PS - even the T-IV is actually rebottled Mobil 3309 - you can even buy it at the Mazda dealer or the Volvo dealer!

~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 12-01-12 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-01-12, 08:56 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Ok, thanks everyone. After searching around it started dawning on me that maybe my plan wasn't going to work (buy it all online at a good discount). I was looking through some older dealer receipts tonight and saw that I purchased a small container of ATF from the Lexus dealership a few months ago, and it cost several dollars LESS than the lowest price I could find online tonight (though still pricey compared to what it cost just a few years ago). I paid around $15 for a small bottle.

I think people just assume they are going to get a 'deal' online and it's just not so. The Toyota long-life coolant on Amazon costs the SAME now as at my (very high end) dealership. And it's actually costs a lot more if your order does not qualify for free super saver shipping (mine would if I were going to order through them -- I"m not).

I did try calling 'Toyota' in LA awhile back (I think it was some place downtown and I was asking about Toyota fluids because I knew I needed to get this work done) and they just referred me to the Lexus dealership.

I will check out the Carson place, the local dealer and then just get this done.
Old 12-01-12, 09:12 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

full price at the TOYOTA dealership on the long-life RED coolant is ~$29/gallon (not pre-mix) (I talk them down to around $20 as a mechanic)

full price on the T-IV is around $73/case of 12 (I pay about $51)

forget the Lexus dealers
- they are usually a complete ripoff - just go straight to the Toyota dealers for your TOYOTA fluids!!

feel free to shop for Mobil 3309 ATF or the Mazda labeled fluid above, it is absolutely the same fluid as T-IV all made in the same Mobil refinery, just in different bottles

Toyota has a contract with Mobil, Toyota doesn't manufacture any fluids

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 12-01-12 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-01-12, 10:14 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

So, how do you feel about synthetic transmission fluid? Such as,

Amsoil
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

Mobil
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...etic_ATF.aspx#

Redline
http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=9
Old 12-01-12, 10:18 PM
door331
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have stated - pickup the coolant and T IV at your local Toyota dealer.

FYI - I got my T IV at my local dealership for $4.5/ qt and it was $7 online , $9 at lexus dealer.
Old 12-02-12, 10:16 AM
PlotPoint
Driver

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
full price at the TOYOTA dealership on the long-life RED coolant is ~$29/gallon (not pre-mix) (I talk them down to around $20 as a mechanic)

full price on the T-IV is around $73/case of 12 (I pay about $51)

forget the Lexus dealers
- they are usually a complete ripoff - just go straight to the Toyota dealers for your TOYOTA fluids!!

feel free to shop for Mobil 3309 ATF or the Mazda labeled fluid above, it is absolutely the same fluid as T-IV all made in the same Mobil refinery, just in different bottles

Toyota has a contract with Mobil, Toyota doesn't manufacture any fluids
THANKS! I just looked up TOYOTA dealerships and now have several places near me I can call on Monday. I see now that the guy I talked to at a Toyota dealership awhile back just plain gave me WRONG info. He was the one who told me to go to a Lexus dealership for Lexus fluids. Idyiot! I should have posted here first. Would have saved me a lot of time.

Anyway, for purposes of comparison, 12 T-IV at the local Lexus dealership would run me (are you ready?) $180!!!! And that's provided their price hasn't increased in the last three or so months (which I am sure it has, so let's just round off that number to $200). Unreal!
Old 12-02-12, 10:21 AM
PlotPoint
Driver

Originally Posted by door331
As others have stated - pickup the coolant and T IV at your local Toyota dealer.

FYI - I got my T IV at my local dealership for $4.5/ qt and it was $7 online , $9 at lexus dealer.
It's 15+ at my local LEXUS dealership. For one small bottle. Seriously. So yeah, the TOYOTA prices people are posting here look really really good. These prices I can manage, so problem solved!
Old 12-02-12, 11:13 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

you do realize that in every other country of the world, when your car was sold new, it had a Toyota emblem on the front and back, and the model name was Celsior, right?

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 12-02-12 at 11:16 AM.