LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

how to install new ls400 headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-12, 03:54 PM
MValentine
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to install new ls400 headlights?

so my current headlights on my 00 ls400 yellowed out, and ended up filling up with moisture over the last few days. i have a brand new pair of oem headlights and i want to install them this weekend. but my question is how do i balance the hid light? or it it just a plug and play system?
Old 11-23-12, 04:03 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

what? balance?
Old 11-23-12, 07:11 PM
MValentine
Driver

i have the stock hid light system. but do i have to balance to lights the make them even? or do they self adjust?

Last edited by MValentine; 11-23-12 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-23-12, 07:59 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You mean level I think.

Ideally a headlight aiming device will be the most accurate.

A DIY method for all cars/trucks is find a flat level lot with a large flat, preferably white, wall that you can drive right up too.
you'll need the following things: masking tape, a sharpie, a 30' tape measure, a piece of cardboard large enough to cover one of the headlights. Also locate the headlight adjusting screws and familiarize yourself with their location and the tools needed to adjust them BEFORE it is dark. It sucks fumbling around in the dark doing this for the first time.

In an area where you can drive right up to the wall so your front bumper touches and the car is perpendicular to the wall but also has space to reverse directly back 25ft.
One clear night, drive up to the wall taking care to make sure the caris perfectly perpendicular to the wall with the steering wheel straight, then put the car in park and set the brake.
Get out and visually locate the bulb centre of the headlight and mark the corresponding point on the wall horizontally with some masking tape, Like so: - -
Mark the same point on the other side.
You can also mark the bulb centers vertically as well so you have this: + + rather than: - - , doing so allows you do adjust the beam pattern or direction if so equipped.
If needed or you only have wide tape, use your sharpie to mark the bulb centers ON THE TAPE!
Measure down 4" and run a strip of tape across the wall and mark the point. This is the point on the wall you are going to adjust the lights to.
Get back in the car and reverse the car 25ft from the wall, measured from the front bumper.
Pop the hood, place the cardboard over one headlight(secure with tape if needed and use the adjuster to aim the light at the lower marks on the wall. swap the cardboard onto the other side and adjust the other headlight.
If you have done this right, your lights should be balanced on the wall.
Close your hood, remove the tape from the wall and dispose of it properly.
Drive away knowing your lights are correctly aimed.
Old 11-23-12, 11:49 PM
MValentine
Driver

i also noticed i have some slight damage to the rubber lining on the turnlights. i doubt itll make anything difference other than aesthetics. what do you guys think?

Old 11-25-12, 07:02 AM
etex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For your first question: Since these are self-leveling headlights, I suspect they would be plug-and-play. If there is a mechanical connection, you will find that when taking off the originals.
Old 11-25-12, 12:27 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

lol if you have the stock HID system, then that means you have the autolevel feature which should "balance" the level of your cutoff; hence the autolevel feature.

however, you can still adjust the level up and down manually by using an 8mm ratchet i believe (either 8mm or 10mm) to the bolt that's located at the back of the headlight.
Old 11-25-12, 12:43 PM
Dutchy
Driver

Does a 1995 model with original air-suspension also have the auto-level feature in the headlights?
Old 11-25-12, 05:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchy
Does a 1995 model with original air-suspension also have the auto-level feature in the headlights?
no .

'98-00 only, and only OEM HID equipped cars.
Old 11-26-12, 10:49 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by MValentine
i also noticed i have some slight damage to the rubber lining on the turnlights. i doubt itll make anything difference other than aesthetics. what do you guys think?
the rubber lining is just to line the housing to the fender, nothing too drastic just cosmetic. it doesn't look damaged to me. just be sure the lens was not punctured in any way to allow moisture to enter.
Old 11-26-12, 12:15 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xtremex626
lol if you have the stock HID system, then that means you have the autolevel feature which should "balance" the level of your cutoff; hence the autolevel feature.

however, you can still adjust the level up and down manually by using an 8mm ratchet i believe (either 8mm or 10mm) to the bolt that's located at the back of the headlight.
Just an addtion:
You tipically will need to set the base adjustment for any headlights as the auto level feature works in conjunction with the suspension level sensors, not actually the level of the headlight itself!
Old 11-28-12, 05:47 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

MValentine I sent you a pm, hopefully you got it. Thanks buddy.