LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

The New Guy: 1999 Lexus LS400

Old 11-16-12, 07:36 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mantastic
nice pick, you're gonna love this car.
I can tell you right now, I do love it very much. Handles wonderfully and the pickup is great
Originally Posted by timmy0tool
welcome and dang at 16 i was still skating/bmx! what a jump, but like everyone said do your research and execute ONCE! be sure the car's maintenance is up to date before doing ANY mods. again welcome young one!
Yeah, I'm definitely making sure the maintenance on the car is up to par (oh, look, that rhymed ) and I have plenty of time to do mods so it's more like figure out in which order I'm doing everything in.
Originally Posted by Dranom
damn! nice pick up! I almost bought that same color before! looks dope modded
how much did you guys picked it up and how many mile?

regarding mods don't waste your time on the accessories too much just a waste of money IMO
just jump on the good stuff like suspension, wheels, etc..

welcome!
Yeah, that's what got me liking the color. And we got it for $7k + tax/dealer fees/etc. with 88k miles on the ODO.
Originally Posted by Shmee
Step one: maintenance is 100% up to date!
Step two: drop
Step three: wheels
Step four: everything else...

There was/is a guy selling some Megan EZ's for $480 in the Buy&sell, might be a decent starter suspension for you!
Yeah. I'm not going to be jumping into mods anytime soon. Or at least anything huge. As far as the drop goes, I want to be on air if I'm going to go hard but if I'm on coils, I want to have a modest but driveable stance, where the car would be low but not to the point where it's crippled. (Refer to the picture below)

As for wheels, I'm looking for something with a black face and polished lip Can't get enough of that look.

And I think someone already went and bought those coils From what I was reading in the Classifieds, djsurfer pretty much jumped on that one.
Old 11-16-12, 07:58 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are wanting Air, you can get retrofit kits for many of the popular coilovers which makes doing the work in stages much easier and more cost effective.

Unless you live in an area that has insanely steep driveways and/or monstrous speed bumps, you can go pretty low with these cars without much worry.

Oh and don't waste your money on stuff like a Fusa or window curtains until the rest of the car is done and up to par with that sort of style. Personally I don't like the look of Fusa's as such in any car, but it looks extra silly on near stock cars imho... Plus why would you want to spend $100+ on some rope and a few tassels that probably cost at most $10 when that money could be better spent on other things that would do more for the car.
Old 11-16-12, 08:47 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

If you are wanting Air, you can get retrofit kits for many of the popular coilovers which makes doing the work in stages much easier and more cost effective.

Unless you live in an area that has insanely steep driveways and/or monstrous speed bumps, you can go pretty low with these cars without much worry.

Oh and don't waste your money on stuff like a Fusa or window curtains until the rest of the car is done and up to par with that sort of style. Personally I don't like the look of Fusa's as such in any car, but it looks extra silly on near stock cars imho... Plus why would you want to spend $100+ on some rope and a few tassels that probably cost at most $10 when that money could be better spent on other things that would do more for the car.
Ah, well, I'm still kind of frightened of tearing up my front bumper and what not lol. Could you perhaps link me some of these 'retrofit kits'? And I never really had any intentions of blowing $300 on a fusa/tsuna combo Found something on eBay for a much more reasonable $50 (shipped) but I'll take your advice and hold off on that until I get the main things out of the way. As far as proposed exterior mods go (that are up my alley in terms of price), I found a lovely black chrome grille insert on eBay for about $57 or so.

Last edited by Sc0pe; 11-16-12 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-17-12, 02:29 AM
SPhoto
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
Haha, thanks guys. My dad's just awesome like that :P. Originally, I wanted a Black/Grey two-toned '94 but my dad wanted something newer and found this beauty. I mean, at first, I didn't like the idea that it was green but the color sort of grew on me after looking at (modified versions of) it some more :P Definitely unique in my opinion,
What's up dude and welcome to CL! Hella nice pick up on your LS too You'll love it!
And hopefully this will change your mind about the car being green This is one of my favorite set ups on the LS and one of my fave wheels.

Old 11-17-12, 12:54 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SPhoto
What's up dude and welcome to CL! Hella nice pick up on your LS too You'll love it!
And hopefully this will change your mind about the car being green This is one of my favorite set ups on the LS and one of my fave wheels.
Actually, that was what changed my mind about the color Well, that and greenv2k's LS.
Old 11-18-12, 11:34 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Green is rare if done right they look good;
Attached Thumbnails The New Guy: 1999 Lexus LS400-various-006.jpg  
Old 11-18-12, 01:19 PM
Dutchy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why dont like the Chrome wheels you have now then?

What will you do with them of you have other ones?
Old 11-18-12, 11:20 PM
IBOO57
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are referring to the gold car above i think he is using that as an example of the sort of ride height he is after, thats not his actual car.
His is Green and on the first page.
Old 11-19-12, 02:39 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dutchy
Why dont like the Chrome wheels you have now then?

What will you do with them of you have other ones?
Yeah, as IBOO57 pointed out, that's the kind of ride height I'm after. That particular gold car went through a bit of cosmetic changes (refer to the image below) after it switched hands to a JAMESN and it was my main inspiration if I were to get a UCF10.

Also, as I mentioned earlier with the remnants of a screw in one of the front license plate holes, here's a picture of that:

The New Guy: 1999 Lexus LS400-frontplateholes.jpg

Last edited by Sc0pe; 11-19-12 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-23-12, 08:15 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Just a heads up, on a smoking deal: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...400-cheap.html
Old 11-26-12, 02:30 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Just a heads up, on a smoking deal: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...400-cheap.html
I really wish I had the money for those. I've been eyeing a set of LPs and the prices are almost $1k. At the current price, that deal is awesome. That's pretty much the same as the cost for new EZs shipped.

Last edited by Sc0pe; 11-26-12 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-26-12, 04:10 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

it was a good deal, honestly about ~$50-100 under going rate for used LP street.
Old 11-27-12, 06:35 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

So... did anybody have an idea on what I could do about the screw?
Old 11-27-12, 06:47 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Ultra small drill bit and easy out or a pair of needle-nose vice grips from the backside.