LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My adventure to Function/Form!

Old 11-14-12, 10:41 PM
sleepywgn
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default My adventure to Function/Form!

Hey guys I would like to share my experience with everyone in here. First off i would like to give a BIG thanks to FF for finally thinking of the VIP community! Not only are they local for everyone down in SoCal, but truly care about their customers 100%. So lets start, I got in contact with Preston who takes care of business down at FF and said whats up with the VIP coils for my ride! With a few ideas here and there, He was able to make the magic happen with their new Type ll Coilovers for the 98 LS 400! And boy are they a beauty! From the sold welds, to the adjustably all the way down to the hard wear, everything was on point! Just like many of there coils, these come with a 32 way adjustment for ride comfort and the ability to go beyond laying frame! With a spring rate not to be confirmed yet, but mine where at 14F and 8R, which was fine with me. To some things up I believe these are if not above PBM, tied with PBM. I know I never had them in my ride but ive felt and see them on many peoples ride. But anyways enough with my talking and here are the pix!

^ This shows my Megans LPs to get me to my old height which was low VS type ll factory out of the box spec... Low huh!

^ These are the Rears coils. Yes they are low!

Not the best shot but you get the idea.

For more informations regarding these coils and etc. Please contact Function/Form Via email at support@f2autolife.com or Phone # At 626.407.0015.

Last edited by sleepywgn; 04-11-13 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-14-12, 10:48 PM
hotdawwg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn those are low... So sick!
Old 11-14-12, 11:15 PM
TheBry
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G'daamn these slam!

& Those new wheels
Old 11-15-12, 12:51 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

interesting, If I remember right these guys had some quality issues a few years back, looking forward to see how they last long term on the LS.
Old 11-15-12, 06:40 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so overall body length is shorter than LPs.

How does it ride? rear spring rate is soft IMO considering if you were to have subs and rear passengers maybe luggage.

my rears are 14k which seems perfect for the rear. I'm 5 clicks away from soft. fully loaded my passengers do not complain.

Although my 18k front might be a little stiff for some. You have to compromise some where being low.

nearly 4000lbs car Stiffer / sportier ride while being slammed isnt all that bad.

My front is low to the point the pinch weld is gashing my tires on big bumps

225/45/18 26" diameter

225/35/20 26.2" diameter

Id imagine any one on 225/35/20 front with a soft setup would be pinch weld touching on medium to big bumps.
Old 11-15-12, 07:16 AM
sleepywgn
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
interesting, If I remember right these guys had some quality issues a few years back, looking forward to see how they last long term on the LS.
Like any other company out there discovering parts for many cars run into problems, but they have been doing their homework and will be coming back hard next year for sure. keep a look out. Ill keep you updated also.

Originally Posted by dengman
so overall body length is shorter than LPs.

How does it ride? rear spring rate is soft IMO considering if you were to have subs and rear passengers maybe luggage.

my rears are 14k which seems perfect for the rear. I'm 5 clicks away from soft. fully loaded my passengers do not complain.

Although my 18k front might be a little stiff for some. You have to compromise some where being low.

nearly 4000lbs car Stiffer / sportier ride while being slammed isnt all that bad.

My front is low to the point the pinch weld is gashing my tires on big bumps

225/45/18 26" diameter

225/35/20 26.2" diameter

Id imagine any one on 225/35/20 front with a soft setup would be pinch weld touching on medium to big bumps.
Yes over all the body is a lot shorter then the megans.
The ride is honestly very nice, but i like to ride kinda stiff to know that if i ride low i know i wouldnt bash my lip or my fenders. But we set it on 16 i believe so it was just right. They are still testing what spring rates are just right. I believe later on i can switch this out for a stiffer spring. 18K is kinda up there man! but i feel you and i under stand that. But after driving home on the freeways here in socal man i believe it help up to what we low rider guys needs.
Lets just say that these coils will put you so low that your upper control arms will already be sticking out of the hole you made to stock hitting in the motor bay. I will take more pix later.
Also so you guys and stop wounding, Price is still in the works but its honestly worth it.
Old 11-15-12, 07:36 AM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i'm gonna speak from my own experience as i am a former function and form customer. definitely the real BANG FOR YOUR BUCK coilover. i had a set on my previous car ('03 acura tl-s) and boy.. they rode alot stiffer and smoother than the megan ez's i had. function and form are notorious for slamming/laying frame, if i read somewhere correctly, their max height is up only 2 inches! i remember raising the tl to it's max height, and there was still a 1 finger gap; lol. i'd personally choose function and form over megans any day but.. i just picked up a set of d2 racing coils (18/10kg) and i'm happy with it so far!
Old 11-15-12, 07:40 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepywgn
Lets just say that these coils will put you so low that your upper control arms will already be sticking out of the hole you made to stock hitting in the motor bay.
At that point the tire would be touching the rail after the pinch weld is cut out. Dont think you can get any lower than that and drive it. my front bumper touches the street when I drive around.

Heres some Megan Specs
LS400 LP's
SPRING RATES:
F: 62mm ID; 200mm length; 12 kg/mm
R: 62mm ID; 220mm length; 8 kg/mm

DAMPER SPECS:
F: 115mm stroke; 220mm length; A2 valving code
R: 135mm stroke; 300mm length; A1 valving code

Supra MKIII Track
- SPRING RATES:

F: 62mm ID; 180mm length; 18 kg/mm
R: 62mm ID; 180mm length; 14 kg/mm

- DAMPER SPECS:

F: 115mm stroke; 220mm length; A4 X valving code
R: 115mm stroke; 220mm length; A1+ X valving code

I'm on MKIII track. I've been thinking about bumping the front to 20K.

Of course high spring rates require attention while driving at higher rates of speed.
i have yet to drive past 130mph. scary on the slightest bumps since it feels soo stiff.. No point of driving fast though I enjoy cruising.

Well hopefully FF decides to offer suspension for GS, MKIII and MKIV Supras. Since the coilover bodies and spring rates would be similar .. Well anything is possible since mixing and matching things to make things fit. Keeps production prices low and profit high and stay competitive in the market.
Old 11-15-12, 08:46 AM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! I hope you enjoy. I saw the IG craze yesterday!

I won't spend $$$ on any other Coilover. Function Form is the best all around Coilover for the money (and then some). I've owned both Megan's, functions, and have driven cars with buddy clubs, apexi, Hks etc etc. in another vehicle brand of course, regardless, I have high hopes for their luxury focus. I'm not the type to bash any product because nothing's perfect, I wont advocate anything is without cons, just in my years of ownership of an F&F prod. I never crossed trails with one. It all boils down to what's preferred at the end of the day.

Some bonuses, Function Forms customer service and dedication are unmatched. I know first hand they go the extra mile for customer satisfaction ( within the realms of reality ). I love the companies slow growth in bringing out quality products vs other companies onslaught of products with no quality improvements. Anyway Slpy looking forward to your reviews especially since your freshly migrating from Megan's to F&F.
Old 11-15-12, 09:07 AM
bobafreak
Rookie

I remember talking to Preston and him mentioning this about a month or so ago. He is also doing bags as well for this chasis. Theres another company as well who are locals in california that plan on making a bag setup for the Lexus community reaaaallll soon. They plan on making a few adjustments and changes to the current bag setups from uas, and ksports functions to add more space to your trunk. I wish i could share the info but i cant i think i said enough. lol

But im glad this is for both ucf10/20.

Last edited by bobafreak; 11-15-12 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-15-12, 09:17 AM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

Ill confirm that...I've heard what you've heard, and know what you know
Old 11-15-12, 11:15 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Nice, compared the the Megan's they are tiny. Keep us updated.
Old 11-15-12, 11:34 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

looking good, that thing slams!
Old 11-15-12, 01:06 PM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RA40
Nice, compared the the Megan's they are tiny. Keep us updated.
Megan's are aluminum body massive

Functions are steel body tiny

Just saying
Old 11-15-12, 01:55 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a nice looking coilover but with the steel body, they are going to run into corrosion problems anywhere that sees the slightest incliment weather in winter time. We get super mild winters up here but even so, steel body coilovers get rusty pretty quick.

I like how low they are out of the box, though.
Who builds their shocks and tests the dampening?
One thing I have found over the years with budget coilovers is that the product consistency between shocks and springs is pretty wide. Granted for being slammed the valving accuracy is not a huge priority but variance in one area usually denotes that the attention to detail of others is not the highest of priorities... All of which can lead to reduced life-expectancy of a product.

What's the warranty like?

I went with BC's simply because if I ever blow a shock, its <$100/shock and no downtime to replace unlike Ksports which cost more and require you to send in the old parts to get replacements...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My adventure to Function/Form!