LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-12, 11:45 AM
Kace268
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation please help!

ok i spilled something on my shifter area and cleaned it up very quickly. it started sticking here and there but was fine after i let my car run for a minute. but about a week later my shifter would not move out of drive. i found out f i push shift lock override it would come outof park and into gear. and i continued doing so for about a week. well a week later i started my car and did the steps to get into drive and i noticed that everytime i hit my brake my reverse light comes on. And also if im at a speed of about 30 or higher and hit the brakes you can almost feel it downshift or something like it. and the reverse light still comes on as the drive light stays on too. When i take my foot off the brake the reverse light on my dash goes off. ???? im a female and i like to think im pretty mechanically inclined but i have no idea about this one! I'm also a single mother of two little girls under the age of two! i need to find out whats wrong with it before i end up doing more damage or possibly destroying my tranny! please help me someone!
Old 11-04-12, 07:14 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

have an electrician look under the shifter, sounds like you may have fried the neutral safety switch.

unrelated, check out the rear trunk hinge as it could possibly be a coincidence. The brake light+reverse light issue makes me point to this.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lighting/bulbout.html
Old 11-13-12, 03:58 PM
Kace268
Driver School Candidate

its not my brake lights on the back its my reverse light on the dash keeps popping on everytime i push my brakes. My brake lights work fine thats whats confusing me. Everytime i hit my brake pedal my car thinks im in reverse all of a sudden and it shows up on my dash as im in reverse and in drive all at the same time. Also my car is smoking inane bad and im losing power steering fluid! i dont understand how these two could be related but then again this is the first lexus ive ever owned, so as the problems arise im learning many new things that ive never dealt with. can anyone help
Old 11-13-12, 04:10 PM
Kace268
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Omg someone please help me!!!

ok i spilled something on my shifter area and cleaned it up very quickly. it started sticking here and there but was fine after i let my car run for a minute. but about a week later my shifter would not move out of drive. i found out f i push shift lock override it would come outof park and into gear. and i continued doing so for about a week. well a week later i started my car and did the steps to get into drive and i noticed that everytime i hit my brake my reverse light comes on. And also if im at a speed of about 30 or higher and hit the brakes you can almost feel it downshift or something like it. and the reverse light still comes on as the drive light stays on too. When i take my foot off the brake the reverse light on my dash goes off. ???? im a female and i like to think im pretty mechanically inclined but i have no idea about this one! I'm also a single mother of two little girls under the age of two! i need to find out whats wrong with it before i end up doing more damage or possibly destroying my tranny! please help me someone!its not my brake lights on the back its my reverse light on the dash keeps popping on everytime i push my brakes. My brake lights work fine thats whats confusing me. Everytime i hit my brake pedal my car thinks im in reverse all of a sudden and it shows up on my dash as im in reverse and in drive all at the same time. Also my car is smoking inane bad and im losing power steering fluid! i dont understand how these two could be related but then again this is the first lexus ive ever owned, so as the problems arise im learning many new things that ive never dealt with. can anyone help
Old 11-13-12, 06:02 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Best help I can give you at the moment. gl
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-please-2.html

Last edited by SC400slide; 11-13-12 at 06:02 PM. Reason: 4got the link
Old 11-13-12, 06:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you do not need to create a second thread on the same topic.

merged.