LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bad coil to thrown rod? New here-hope I do this right..

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-12, 05:17 PM
MD1963
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad coil to thrown rod? New here-hope I do this right..

I own a 93 LS400 with 100K on the motor. Ran rough for a little bit. Driving last week and loss of power and went through 1/4 tank of gas in 15 miles. Drove to usual mechanic- said it sounded like a bad coil. Replaced it (new? not sure)- then said spark plugs & wires were soaked in gas- replaced those. Said gas in the oil- changed. Started car- said there was knock in engine. Waited overngiht- same knock...and now mechanic says I threw a rod. Apparently the knock is now louder. I have niot heard it but am going tomorrow to listen. Does this make any sense at all? There was absolutely no knocking before all this. When I questioned mechanic-he said 'of course I wouldn't here it- 4 cylinders weren't running'. Sounds funny to me?
Old 10-31-12, 06:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

get a new mech. if the ignition system was full of gas obviously there's a leak, what the hell does it have to do with gas in the oil....

damage might be done, but he sounds beyond sketch.
Old 10-31-12, 06:27 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I think you have a lawsuit if you took a car to a mechanic with no rod knock and picked up a car with one!
Old 10-31-12, 08:35 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
I think you have a lawsuit if you took a car to a mechanic with no rod knock and picked up a car with one!
you would be thinking wrong. unless there was actual evidence showing possible sabotage/shoddy work/sheer idiocy, no case is there, and no lawyer would want to pick it up.

now if you pulled the motor apart and it showed evidence of oil starvation such that the shop had started/ran it without oil (mid-change for example) then there may be a case.
Old 10-31-12, 11:23 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I have been an ASE master tech for over 30 years, there is nothing a mechanic can do, while properly diagnosing and repairing a vehicle, that would cause a rod to start knocking all of a sudden, so if this happens, then the mechanic screwed up, end of story.

Rods just don't start knocking for no reason, out of the blue, there is always a reason, and if this happens while it is in the shop, that mechanic is done for. - You just need friends/co-workers/roommates to substantiate the fact that the car was quiet - no knock - when it was brought in.
Old 10-31-12, 11:46 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

an example of how the vehicle can go bad for the mechanic without his involvement:

car recently had a BHG, large amounts of water in the oil causing oil and bearing contamination. Owner gets BHG fixed and oil flushed, then drops car off at random mechanic. While there, the engine starts giving rod knock of systematic bearing failure. Suddenly, he's on the hook? No, there's no evidence he mucked with it, so he's off.

same thing goes if owner lets car run on very low oil then fills it up before taking it in, or a myriad of other scenarios.
Old 11-01-12, 04:08 AM
MD1963
Driver School Candidate

The car did not have BHG- nor did it run low on oil. The car had just passed MA state insection two weeks prior. This is the guy I bought the car from and had car repaired at as needed with. And- I just realized the guy out and out lied to me also "it takes 30 hrs to replace engine - has to be dropped out of the bottom- and i don't have a lift". ?? He most CERTAINLY has a lift! WT? I think a lawsuit is definite possibility based on what I am reading... Thank you for the responses...helping tremendously..I am so upset about this. He obviously has taken me for the dumb blond walking in the garage... Yes- let the jokes start
Old 11-01-12, 05:07 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

don't misunderstand, the BHG/Oil starvation were merely counterexamples to LSCowboyLS's claims. In your case a law suit is a possibility, but it would be more likely that your mech or his insurance would settle if there was any chance at all of a trial victory.

good luck, and get a second opinion.
Old 11-01-12, 05:59 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

oil analysis would tell the story...30 years huh? sure this wasnt caused by bad caps?
Old 11-01-12, 09:56 AM
MD1963
Driver School Candidate

I understand PureDrifter what you were saying...and that is what I am trying to really figure out...is this scenario even a possibility...I certainly don't want to accuse anyone of anything without a great understanding.
Tx Python. Oil analysis not possible at this point...
Old 11-02-12, 01:53 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Get a second opinion.
Old 11-02-12, 06:48 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

It was already knocking but he couldn't hear it because the engine was running on four cylinders? All eight rods are moving even if there's something wrong with the ignition. Only because you asked, here I go. How do you know if a blonde used your computer? There's white out on the monitor.
Old 11-03-12, 06:02 AM
MD1963
Driver School Candidate

You' ve seen my monitor?
Thanks for the response Mike- and everyone..very helpful!
Old 11-04-12, 01:01 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Any updates? I'm curious how this turns out.
Old 11-05-12, 03:39 AM
MD1963
Driver School Candidate

No updates. Looking for a mechanic to bring with me when I go see him. We live in a rather small town and most know him. Stepford Mechanics.
Mike-is what you stated fact? The rods still move in the four cylinders that were not working due to coil?
I also dont understand -my car started perfectly fine before and during this. Mechanic stated once the coil, spark plugs and wires were changed- the engine wouldnt start. Not sure if he had changed oil before this..I would assume he did...but I need to ask him about it I guess..
Does anyone know if it is a 30 hr job to replace motor? It also appears he was not able to get motor he said would be decent.
Will update when I have news.

Quick Reply: Bad coil to thrown rod? New here-hope I do this right..