LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Keep the LS or [sell] it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-12, 11:14 AM
DCLS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep the LS or [sell] it?

I recently have been putting a significant amount of money into my 1996 LS. Friday, I will be specnding $735+ on engine and tranny mounts and last week it was $215 for a break and and ps flush. All inn all, it's been a $1,000 month and about a $2,000 year.

Is it time to get something new and get as much cash for the LS as possible? I hate to say it, but I'm leaning towards a 3-series right now. Thanks!
Old 10-22-12, 11:17 AM
Gebyz
Driver School Candidate

You need us to make a decision for you?

You could save some money and do some of the work yourself.
Old 10-22-12, 11:20 AM
blkonblk97
Driver School Candidate

What's the mileage?
Old 10-22-12, 01:06 PM
hotdawwg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the damn car. The 3 series will cost you even more. Once you get all of these things finished, the car will go 100k no problem!
Old 10-22-12, 01:16 PM
tgs3
Driver School Candidate

keep ur LS bro!!!! if u think 2000 is alot for ur LS i dont think u even wanna know how much BMW cost in repairs! u can spend $500-$1000 juss replacing brakes alone. oil change cost $80-$100 every three months. unless you know how to work on ur own car i dont think it will be a good move, but thats just me. i say Lexus all day!
Old 10-22-12, 01:20 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you're slightly confused if you think a similar vintage 3-series will be in any way cheaper/easier to maintain than an LS.

see once you get the LS running properly (or buy one that's in good nick) it generally doesnt BREAK again. the 3-series on the other hand...
Old 10-22-12, 01:34 PM
E36M3
Driver

BMW 3-Series are great cars. It is not a secret that maintenance parts can be expensive but it's a fun car to drive which will overshadow the cost to own it.

Look for the low miles, otherwise, you will need to replace the fan clutch, fan blade, OEM coolant, waterpump (get the metal impeller not the plastic), thermostat (get the aluminum not the plastic), idler pulley, tensioner, timing chain guides, and Vanos Kit. Ask the seller if they have been replaced if not you will need to replace them asap. It takes one to know one.

Now to the fun stuff (Power Adder): Very expensive. You will be spending just about $100 per horsepower or sometimes even more but... just as long as you're happy then it's a good deal.

Don't let this scare you just be advised.
Old 10-22-12, 01:39 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

he may be referring to a newer 3-series, though even the new ones have their share of maintenance, and as already mentioned, costs much more!

it's really up to you, but i say keep searching and learning around here. you will save loads of cash doing things yourself as there are many threads here showing how to do so.
Old 10-22-12, 01:41 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by E36M3
BMW 3-Series are great cars. It is not a secret that maintenance parts can be expensive but it's a fun car to drive which will overshadow the cost to own it.

Look for the low miles, otherwise, you will need to replace the fan clutch, fan blade, OEM coolant, waterpump (get the metal impeller not the plastic), thermostat (get the aluminum not the plastic), idler pulley, tensioner, timing chain guides, and Vanos Kit. Ask the seller if they have been replaced if not you will need to replace them asap. It takes one to know one.

Now to the fun stuff (Power Adder): Very expensive. You will be spending just about $100 per horsepower or sometimes even more but... just as long as you're happy then it's a good deal.

Don't let this scare you just be advised.
I owned a E30, E36 and maintained a E34... Lets just say each model has its own quirks. I easily spent $4000 on maintenance on my E36 just to get it up to my standards.
I have a love hate relation with my LS.

Bmw parts cost more IMO. Even with wholesale discounts its more expensive than Lexus. I would never want to own a used Bmw with out a warranty. Just incase one of those "things" just happened to happen.

Keep in mind... Bmw specific shop vs Japanese shop. Vs Dealer ship.

Last edited by dengman; 10-22-12 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-22-12, 01:43 PM
E36M3
Driver

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
he may be referring to a newer 3-series, though even the new ones have their share of maintenance, and as already mentioned, costs much more!

it's really up to you, but i say keep searching and learning around here. you will save loads of cash doing things yourself as there are many threads here showing how to do so.
Car loans are one of the worse investment you will make, but if you are happy then it's a good deal.
Old 10-22-12, 01:53 PM
E36M3
Driver

Originally Posted by dengman
I owned a E30, E36 and maintained a E34... Lets just say each model has its own quirks. I easily spent $4000 on maintenance on my E36 just to get it up to my standards.
I have a love hate relation with my LS.

Bmw parts cost more IMO. Even with wholesale discounts its more expensive than Lexus. I would never want to own a used Bmw with out a warranty. Just incase one of those "things" just happened to happen.

Keep in mind... Bmw specific shop vs Japanese shop. Vs Dealer ship.
I know what you mean.

I owned E39 w/ M5 package, E36 M3, and E36 325i race inspired.

Now I'm slowly working on my LS400 and she has all my attention.
Old 10-22-12, 06:34 PM
DCLS400
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the input guys. The car has 156K on it and ALL maintenance has been done by the prior owner at a Lexus dealership (they overpaid I guess). So, with all said and done, I think I will stick with the LS.

On a separate note, does anyone here ever hear a "popping" noise possibly coming from the suspension when you go over a dip?
Old 10-22-12, 06:41 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our suspension's, being well over a decade old, are notorious for making noise.
A popping noise could be a number of things. From a shock bottoming out to any number of our bushings being worn. without more info it would be near impossible to diagnose.
Old 10-22-12, 07:00 PM
blkonblk97
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DCLS400
Thanks for all the input guys. The car has 156K on it and ALL maintenance has been done by the prior owner at a Lexus dealership (they overpaid I guess). So, with all said and done, I think I will stick with the LS.

On a separate note, does anyone here ever hear a "popping" noise possibly coming from the suspension when you go over a dip?
+2 on Keeping the LS
Old 10-22-12, 09:41 PM
Boob
Driver School Candidate

You come into the LS400 forum & ask if you should sell your LS400 in favour of a 3 series BMW?

BURN HIM!!!

Quick Reply: Keep the LS or [sell] it?