Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Radio removal instructions needed

Old 10-19-12, 02:45 PM   #1
Tomcio78
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

Default Radio removal instructions needed

Would anyone out there have the instruction on how to remove the radio on a 1999 LS400? I would prefer pictures or a video since I'm clumsy and don't want to break anything. Im looking to add an AUX port to the stock radio through a website I found so I can play my iPod... I know I can probably pick up an aftermarket radio but I want to keep her as stock as possible and this would just complete the vehicle.... soooooo ppppplllllllleeeeeaaaaasssssseeee anyone?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Tomcio78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-12, 03:17 PM   #2
SpencerT
Lead Lap

I hate to say it but, Search.

I dont know about 99 specific, but there is a tutorial here for adding an aux input into the radio.
As far as removal, this should give you a basic idea.
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls40...-tutorial.html
SpencerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-12, 05:53 PM   #3
Tomcio78
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerT View Post
I hate to say it but, Search.

I dont know about 99 specific, but there is a tutorial here for adding an aux input into the radio.
As far as removal, this should give you a basic idea.
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls40...-tutorial.html
Thanks, but I just need the removal of the radio... I will have someone do the install of AUX input... so just removal.... anyone
Old 10-19-12, 06:35 PM   #4
dengman
Lead Lap

itzdarave

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls40...o-removal.html

1999 Lexus LS400 - L'Sportline Aero - L'Sportline exhaust - Megan Racing Coilovers - 200k+ Club
dengman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-12, 09:01 PM   #5
IBOO57
Driver School Candidate

I searched for it on youtube for a first gen LS400 last weekend and there where a few vids showing how to do it.
Try doing it for your year model.
IBOO57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-12, 07:09 AM   #6
Tomcio78
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengman View Post
Thanks but I seen that post and actually prefer it with pictures... I just can't believe its so hard to find these pictures...
Old 10-20-12, 07:20 AM   #7
steve2006
Lead Lap

Early model LS400 but may help.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/audio/headunit.html
steve2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-12, 01:38 PM   #8
Kansas
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcio78 View Post
Thanks but I seen that post and actually prefer it with pictures... I just can't believe its so hard to find these pictures...
I just now updated the following link with important information about how to remove the center vent assembly on a 98-00 LS without the vent falling apart into a zillion pieces that you would have to reconstruct.: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls40...o-removal.html

I think Billypowel posted a photo some time ago showing how to slip a small screw driver blade into the vents to release the two clips holding the vent assembly in place. It is sooo easy. The small screw driver I use was used in the "olden days" to adjust the ignition points in a distributer.

The console wood is easily pried up and out. Three friction fittings on each side hold it place. Here is a pic of me doing it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Kansas; 10-21-12 at 09:07 AM..
Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-12, 03:08 PM   #9
Kansas
Lexus Champion

I didn't look for Billypowel's photo but I just added arrows to one of my photos that show the location of the retaining clips for the center vent. Sick a very small blade screw driver through the vent slats and pull the retaining clips towards the center. The vent assembly should slide right out but may take some gentle prying with a non-scarring trim removal tool or a screwdriver or putty knive with it's blade taped to keep from scratching anything. When it is time to reinstall the vent assembly it will snap back into place after attaching the hazard switch plug to it.

Words of caution: When you reinstall the radio and HVAC controls into their frame, be sure that there is absolutely no gap between the edge of the HVAC control unit and the radio. If you leave a gap, it may be difficult to reinstall the vent assembly. Learned this the hard way.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-12, 08:44 PM   #10
Tomcio78
Rookie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
I didn't look for Billypowel's photo but I just added arrows to one of my photos that show the location of the retaining clips for the center vent. Sick a very small blade screw driver through the vent slats and pull the retaining clips towards the center. The vent assembly should slide right out but may take some gentle prying with a non-scarring trim removal tool or a screwdriver or putty knive with it's blade taped to keep from scratching anything. When it is time to reinstall the vent assembly it will snap back into place after attaching the hazard switch plug to it.

Words of caution: When you reinstall the radio and HVAC controls into their frame, be sure that there is absolutely no gap between the edge of the HVAC control unit and the radio. If you leave a gap, it may be difficult to reinstall the vent assembly. Learned this the hard way.
Kansas thank you so much... this will help me so much...
Old 10-25-12, 12:20 PM   #11
Tomcio78
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas View Post

For those of you who want to see the clips Kansas was talking about here they are... Again, thank you Kansas for saving me time and $$$$
Attached Images

Last edited by Tomcio78; 10-28-12 at 03:51 PM..
Old 10-25-12, 06:07 PM   #12
Kansas
Lexus Champion

Nice photos, Tom. Way to go!
Old 10-25-12, 08:28 PM   #13
hotdawwg
Pole Position

Hotdawwgman

Wow! Cool!

Team Outcast Vice President
hotdawwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-12, 02:58 PM   #14
Tomcio78
Rookie

OK this is how the AUX looks in a factory installed radio (next to teh CD button) and works GREAT!!!!!!! just like any aftermarket if not better!!!!
Attached Images

Old 11-29-12, 02:58 PM

Tags
01, 400, center, console, ct200h, is300, lexus, ls, ls400, radio, remove, removing, stereo, vents, wood