LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Radio removal instructions needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-12, 02:45 PM
Tomcio78
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio removal instructions needed

Would anyone out there have the instruction on how to remove the radio on a 1999 LS400? I would prefer pictures or a video since I'm clumsy and don't want to break anything. Im looking to add an AUX port to the stock radio through a website I found so I can play my iPod... I know I can probably pick up an aftermarket radio but I want to keep her as stock as possible and this would just complete the vehicle.... soooooo ppppplllllllleeeeeaaaaasssssseeee anyone?
Old 10-19-12, 03:17 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to say it but, Search.

I dont know about 99 specific, but there is a tutorial here for adding an aux input into the radio.
As far as removal, this should give you a basic idea.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-tutorial.html
Old 10-19-12, 05:53 PM
Tomcio78
Rookie

Originally Posted by SpencerT
I hate to say it but, Search.

I dont know about 99 specific, but there is a tutorial here for adding an aux input into the radio.
As far as removal, this should give you a basic idea.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-tutorial.html
Thanks, but I just need the removal of the radio... I will have someone do the install of AUX input... so just removal.... anyone
Old 10-19-12, 06:35 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...o-removal.html
Old 10-19-12, 09:01 PM
IBOO57
Driver School Candidate

I searched for it on youtube for a first gen LS400 last weekend and there where a few vids showing how to do it.
Try doing it for your year model.
Old 10-20-12, 07:09 AM
Tomcio78
Rookie

Thanks but I seen that post and actually prefer it with pictures... I just can't believe its so hard to find these pictures...
Old 10-20-12, 07:20 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Early model LS400 but may help.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/audio/headunit.html
Old 10-20-12, 01:38 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomcio78
Thanks but I seen that post and actually prefer it with pictures... I just can't believe its so hard to find these pictures...
I just now updated the following link with important information about how to remove the center vent assembly on a 98-00 LS without the vent falling apart into a zillion pieces that you would have to reconstruct.: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...o-removal.html

I think Billypowel posted a photo some time ago showing how to slip a small screw driver blade into the vents to release the two clips holding the vent assembly in place. It is sooo easy. The small screw driver I use was used in the "olden days" to adjust the ignition points in a distributer.

The console wood is easily pried up and out. Three friction fittings on each side hold it place. Here is a pic of me doing it.
Attached Thumbnails Radio removal instructions needed-removing-console-wood.jpg  

Last edited by Kansas; 10-21-12 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-20-12, 03:08 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

I didn't look for Billypowel's photo but I just added arrows to one of my photos that show the location of the retaining clips for the center vent. Sick a very small blade screw driver through the vent slats and pull the retaining clips towards the center. The vent assembly should slide right out but may take some gentle prying with a non-scarring trim removal tool or a screwdriver or putty knive with it's blade taped to keep from scratching anything. When it is time to reinstall the vent assembly it will snap back into place after attaching the hazard switch plug to it.

Words of caution: When you reinstall the radio and HVAC controls into their frame, be sure that there is absolutely no gap between the edge of the HVAC control unit and the radio. If you leave a gap, it may be difficult to reinstall the vent assembly. Learned this the hard way.
Attached Thumbnails Radio removal instructions needed-2000-ls-location-of-center-vent-clips.jpg  
Old 10-20-12, 08:44 PM
Tomcio78
Rookie

Talking

Originally Posted by Kansas
I didn't look for Billypowel's photo but I just added arrows to one of my photos that show the location of the retaining clips for the center vent. Sick a very small blade screw driver through the vent slats and pull the retaining clips towards the center. The vent assembly should slide right out but may take some gentle prying with a non-scarring trim removal tool or a screwdriver or putty knive with it's blade taped to keep from scratching anything. When it is time to reinstall the vent assembly it will snap back into place after attaching the hazard switch plug to it.

Words of caution: When you reinstall the radio and HVAC controls into their frame, be sure that there is absolutely no gap between the edge of the HVAC control unit and the radio. If you leave a gap, it may be difficult to reinstall the vent assembly. Learned this the hard way.
Kansas thank you so much... this will help me so much...
Old 10-25-12, 12:20 PM
Tomcio78
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kansas

For those of you who want to see the clips Kansas was talking about here they are... Again, thank you Kansas for saving me time and $$$$
Attached Thumbnails Radio removal instructions needed-photo2.jpg   Radio removal instructions needed-photo1.jpg   Radio removal instructions needed-photo.jpg   Radio removal instructions needed-photo3.jpg   Radio removal instructions needed-photo5.jpg  

Last edited by Tomcio78; 10-28-12 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-25-12, 06:07 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Nice photos, Tom. Way to go!
Old 10-25-12, 08:28 PM
hotdawwg
Pole Position

Wow! Cool!
Old 11-29-12, 02:58 PM
Tomcio78
Rookie

OK this is how the AUX looks in a factory installed radio (next to teh CD button) and works GREAT!!!!!!! just like any aftermarket if not better!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Radio removal instructions needed-photo.jpg