LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Oil leak? P-S leak? Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-12, 06:29 AM
85Krtagena
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak? P-S leak? Help!!!

I have a huge leak on my car, when driven for 45+ miles I can smell the fluid burning. I also know that I have a P-S leak since I can see it. However...last time I changed the oil after bout 3k miles I realized that I was bout a quart low. When I get underneath the car it's a big mess. There's fluid from the crank pulley all the way to the oil tank. Wht do you guys think it is?
Old 10-05-12, 08:06 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

mostly power steering fluid, and it's going to cost you a new alternator very soon, if you don't fix it
Old 10-05-12, 09:16 AM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been chasing down one oil leak after another for awhile.
Its basically impossible to tell where its coming from when its everywhere like that.
Valve covers, cam seals, oil pan, oil pressure sensor... the list of possibilities is endless.
valve covers is really the only obvious one sense its at the top of the engine.

I suggest having a shop add oil dye then 50ish miles later take it back and have them look with a uv light to see where its coming from.
Old 10-05-12, 10:25 AM
85Krtagena
Driver School Candidate

Took it to a shop and found out that is the front main seal. The oil is coming out from the front of the motor (underneath the engine) straight down the middle towards the back. I guess this motor has never been touched before. I'm just gonna change the seals, water pump and timing belt while I'm at it. Is there a tutorial on how to change the main seal? Thanks
Old 10-05-12, 10:50 AM
davids2k

i needa change seals, waterpump, and timing belt too.
Old 10-08-12, 04:03 PM
85Krtagena
Driver School Candidate

Any one? No body has a tutorial or steps on doing this?
Old 10-08-12, 04:24 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

The internet won't bite. Promise. Here is a DIY on another Lexus forum. You have to be a member to see the pdf though.
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=62856
Old 10-08-12, 04:51 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm just gonna change the seals, water pump and timing belt while I'm at it. Is there a tutorial on how to change the main seal?
have you done a timing belt before?

if not, I would carefully consider my skill set before doing one, as you can wreck your engine if you don't have very good attention to detail and follow the factory service manual instructions to the letter! - do you own the manual pictured below?

Oil leak? P-S leak? Help!!!-hyrrr.png

the "shade tree" mechanics should stick with alternators, spark plugs, etc (not judging anyone's particular's skills here, just sayin!)

the reason I wrote this, is because you asked about how to do the front main seal, and anyone who has ever done a timing belt knows that is essentially the same job

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 10-08-12 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-08-12, 05:02 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the mileage on the car?

A front main leak that bad is often a sign of another issue. Change your PCV valves and make sure the hoses from them to the IM are clear of buildup and not collapsing. A clogged/collapsed PCV system can pressurize the crank case and force oil past the seals... Front and rear mains are often places this can be found.
Also, I've seen lots of other cars where there is major scoring on the seal surface where the front and/or rear main seal rides on the crank. If you run your fingernail along the spot where the seal rides the crank and you can feel any sort of catch from a high or a low spot, putting a new seal in will only temporarily fix the problem.

Oh and get yourself a bottle of whiteout when doing your timing belt. A few strategic marks on the pullies and engine in obvious and easy to align spots will make simple work of the job once you have your engine setup before removing the belt.
Old 10-09-12, 03:20 PM
85Krtagena
Driver School Candidate

Im not gonna do the job my self. a friend of mine is gonna do it, hes a mechanic. the car has 175k miles on it...however, that might not be the real mileage. who knows!!
Old 10-09-12, 03:22 PM
85Krtagena
Driver School Candidate

is there any reliable mechanics in palm beach-broward county (florida)? I know there is one in miami, but i am not driving 2 hours away to drop a car off and than drive 2 hours back to my house. (this in case my friend cannot do the job due to time)
Old 10-09-12, 04:55 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Krtagena
is there any reliable mechanics in palm beach-broward county (florida)? I know there is one in miami, but i am not driving 2 hours away to drop a car off and than drive 2 hours back to my house. (this in case my friend cannot do the job due to time)

Try joining Angies List. They post independent reviews of mechanics for your area.

http://www.angieslist.com/
Old 10-10-12, 11:17 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

^ seen the commercials, does it really work?
Old 10-11-12, 07:43 PM
85Krtagena
Driver School Candidate

ok, my friend cant do the job since his schedule does not allow him to. However he pointed me to the next door mechanic who has a good reputation. I went to see him and he quoted me about $535 for timing belt, water pump, and front seal, with labor since he knows my boy who recommended me. What do you guys think?

By the way he had 2 LS400 parked on the lot and he had just gotten done working on them (one of them was water pump and timing belt)
Old 10-11-12, 07:46 PM
SPhoto
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 85Krtagena
ok, my friend cant do the job since his schedule does not allow him to. However he pointed me to the next door mechanic who has a good reputation. I went to see him and he quoted me about $535 for timing belt, water pump, and front seal, with labor since he knows my boy who recommended me. What do you guys think?

By the way he had 2 LS400 parked on the lot and he had just gotten done working on them (one of them was water pump and timing belt)
Wow $535 for timing, water pump, and seal? is that including replacement of the pulley's, gaskets, etc. and all that other good stuff your car needs? If so then that sounds like a hella good deal to me

Quick Reply: Oil leak? P-S leak? Help!!!