LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-13, 05:55 PM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchy
Finally got the caps changed in my Celsior, not done by myself but by a pro. It took about 2 hours changing all 9 of them, we took our time to do it right. Looks like its factory done !

The ecu is still learning new settings, but the car is allready a lot more economic, and the transmission shifts smoother by the minute.

Thanks a lot for all this info on here. A big 10 for Yamae and Cowboy

Greets from Holland
Thanks for the report.
Congratulations on your success.

Once you mentioned that you were happy with the ECU for a 96 changing from your original 95. There was no more unexpected engine stop after the high speed run and also there was some performance improvement.

It seems to me that you now have additional better results. You are another happy owner who proved that our recommendations revive the car.

The replacement is a kind of must, I'd say.

As far as I see the thread "Have you done the ECU capacitor fix?" by RA40 / Mike, many owners are still using original capacitors and not enjoying the original good performances of his/her LS400 or Celsior.
I feel sorry for them not knowing the fact that the car runs much better.
Old 09-01-13, 07:21 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then you have other problems.
I had a bad distributor that was causing some intermittent issues on my car that were kind of strange.
Old 09-02-13, 01:03 AM
Dutchy
Driver

Originally Posted by Yamae
Thanks for the report.
Congratulations on your success.

Once you mentioned that you were happy with the ECU for a 96 changing from your original 95. There was no more unexpected engine stop after the high speed run and also there was some performance improvement.

It seems to me that you now have additional better results. You are another happy owner who proved that our recommendations revive the car.

The replacement is a kind of must, I'd say.

As far as I see the thread "Have you done the ECU capacitor fix?" by RA40 / Mike, many owners are still using original capacitors and not enjoying the original good performances of his/her LS400 or Celsior.
I feel sorry for them not knowing the fact that the car runs much better.

Hi Yamae,

Yes im very pleased with the results. I was allready very content with the other ECU but with the new caps it feels like new. The car is even more powerful, and runs very smooth.
Old 09-02-13, 08:43 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi Yamae,

Yes im very pleased with the results. I was allready very content with the other ECU but with the new caps it feels like new. The car is even more powerful, and runs very smooth.
If we could only get most owners of LS400 to realize that this is a huge problem that all LS400's will eventually have, it is like 90% of owners are skeptical, but if they understood electrical engineering, they wouldn't be!
Old 09-02-13, 08:51 AM
dc893
Lead Lap

Does anybody ever have issues with the speed ECU? My cruise control has not worked since I got my car a year ago. Lately I've been wanting my C/C.
Old 09-02-13, 09:25 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

my cruise stopped working with the failing main ECU, as well as speedo issues

I have not heard of any issues with the cruise ECU itself though
Old 09-02-13, 09:45 AM
dc893
Lead Lap

I got all the maint. up to date and runs great! That's the only thing not working is just that so thought I would ask. I will look into it further when I eventually get the motivation.
Old 09-02-13, 10:06 AM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought I would throw this out there also. After doing my caps in the ecu, I noticed the A/C electric fans are now working again? They were not working before and this was causing some issues with the A/C itself.

All is good now though.
Old 09-04-13, 05:12 AM
silos5
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ECU or TRANSMISSION

Hi,
thats a great thread up here !!!

I have a small problem with my transmission. It shifts ok when I drive slowly, but when I push more on the gas to accelerate more, car raises the rpm more, doesnt accelarate that much and kinda slips...shifts hard from 2nd to 3rd.
I was always thinking I had some trany problem, but it seems like it might be a ECU.

changed the oil in trany 2 time, didnt help.

Am I right about the ECU??
Anyone had same problems??

No code, no CEL ... just goes hard from 2 to 3 when going fast.
LS400, 1998.

thank you !!

btw, can someone give a number for this ECU. I dindt find it, cuz there are kinda many of them

Last edited by silos5; 09-04-13 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-04-13, 05:14 AM
Dutchy
Driver

Tranny in my celsior did a bit the same. Sometimes more slip then other times. Now with the new caps, it shifts like a new one.
Old 09-04-13, 05:20 AM
silos5
Driver

Tranny in my celsior did a bit the same. Sometimes more slip then other times. Now with the new caps, it shifts like a new one.
thank for the reply !!
Damn, I need to do something about my ECU faaaast
Old 09-04-13, 05:27 AM
Dutchy
Driver

Yes you should. Especially when the capacitors allready have leaked, you have a lot more work on it. Better replace them before that! Don't try to replace them yourself, it's not as easy as it looks.
Old 09-04-13, 10:50 AM
LexusLexi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
If we could only get most owners of LS400 to realize that this is a huge problem that all LS400's will eventually have, it is like 90% of owners are skeptical, but if they understood electrical engineering, they wouldn't be!
"All LS400's" as in 90-97 or "all" period? I definitely have no time to address such a repair so I have shifted my focus to 98-2000's. If I will have to do it anyway, then I should be looking back at the earlier models, save some $ and have some pro do the soldering?
Old 09-04-13, 11:13 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexusLexi
"All LS400's" as in 90-97 or "all" period? I definitely have no time to address such a repair so I have shifted my focus to 98-2000's. If I will have to do it anyway, then I should be looking back at the earlier models, save some $ and have some pro do the soldering?
All LS400's will eventually have cap failure, they are not a "lifetime" part.

It should be instructive that the person who understands this issue better than anyone, Yamae, has done his caps and he owns the 98-00 generation
Old 09-04-13, 01:35 PM
LexusLexi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
All LS400's will eventually have cap failure, they are not a "lifetime" part.

It should be instructive that the person who understands this issue better than anyone, Yamae, has done his caps and he owns the 98-00 generation
Once again, thank you Cowboy. I will go back and re-read the thread. Based on my recollection from reading the first time, 98-00 where equipped mostly with different caps, as the older ones were being phased out with different types / manufacturers.

Well, I guess the most important step right now is to get a car first and then worry about the caps.

Quick Reply: All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)