LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 03:40 AM
Yamae

Received 852 Likes on 644 Posts

Don't forget there are nonvolatile memories in the ECU too. The power disconnection can't erase those stored data.
Old 01-10-13, 03:40 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

we are discussing why the problem can be solved, and yet the LS400 doesn't behave right for the first minute or some short amount of time and then straightens out smooth as silk, after certain major repairs, seen this happen more than once.

Originally Posted by Yamae
Don't forget there are nonvolatile memories in the ECU too. The power disconnection can't erase those stored data.
exactly!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 01-13-13 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 07:05 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

You know Yaemae, you could make a lot of money if you could produce a performance ROM for the LS400 at a decent price.

How do you think these guys were doing what they do and used to on certain models? When I called a rep in CA for Mines, who in turn asked them in Japan, the reply I got was part related and not being able to get them anymore but this kind of sounds like an excuse...

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 01-10-13 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-10-13, 07:15 AM
simondsw
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

YAMAE, where are you located at as I have a 96' U.S. Spec Lexus LS400 1UZFE that I am wanting to do some work on and would love to get your inputs. I plan on going to Upgarage for parts (Atsugi area off of the 246). Not sure where you are at or if you are in this area. I am having some problems with my car as well and this may be the problem. I am not an electrician and would hate to fry my ECU. Any help would be fantastic and we could use my car for the experiments
Old 01-10-13, 07:21 AM
wfseward96
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
That was the root of my question about ECM behavior after removing and mods and what learned parameters where stored in non-volatile memory. Obviously in my case something changed. After installing the first time (after performing re-cap upgrage) it wouldn't even wake up (no check engine light) wouldn't start. Then after putting key in ignition and waiting (unknown duration) it lit up. Then this morning when trying to start same thing. But today subsequent tries it lights up imediately.

As to performance, my up and down idle problem is smooth and very stable. I also had a stumble sitting at traffic light that has dissapeared. The airbag light had gone as well. I had been having trouble codes relating to exhaust/cat system (can't remember off the top of my head) that is gone (could come back im sure, got to fix the "broken EGR pipe" issue).

I'm not 100% sure there is not some hardware issue with ECM and as I have to drive to Miami on saturday I will be testing a lot over the next 2 days. And i still have that link to remanufactured unit bookmarked in my browser Ha!. Brings to mind the scene form 2001 A Sapce odessy when HAL the computer says (paraphrase) "Just what do you think you're doing, Dave? Dave, I really think I’m entitled to an answer to that question?" as dave is removing HAL's vital module's"
Old 01-12-13, 02:48 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

just to reiterate my warning from post #1 - don't want to scare anyone out of fixing their own car, but don't do this yourself if you are not already good at this type of thing, from post #1:

WARNING - DANGER: this is not a good first-time soldering project, the existing capacitor removal and associated desoldering, cleaning, inspection, soldering and re-inspection is involved and is in some very tight places, you must be experienced at soldering and pretty good at it, or else you need to locate someone who is very experienced at soldering, and then you should buy the special capacitors this job requires, and then let him or her do the operation of replacing them - the NipponDenso ECU in your LS400 is a delicate piece of very expensive electronics. If you wouldn't feel comfortable taking apart a laptop computer and getting it back together successfully, then you probably do not want to be doing the electronic portion of this repair.

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 01-12-13 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-19-13, 11:31 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I decided to to get a back up ecu for my 92. 89661-50042. I looked over both inside so no signs of leaks or burns. I put in the replacement and i can say it shifts alot smoother than my original. Mainly around the 40mph area.

So with my original i want to rebuild it. But i am no expert at soldering.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 01-19-13 at 12:19 PM. Reason: sorry, can't allow that
Old 01-19-13, 01:01 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I put in the replacement and i can say it shifts alot smoother than my original.
that is because the ECU in this car is responsible for all of the shifting intelligence! - the tranny does not have its own ECU.
Old 01-19-13, 02:03 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Thats right. Its just so interesting that it made a such a difference. So you believe the caps are at fault here?
Old 01-19-13, 04:58 PM
phlorida
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

LSCowboyLS - in a recent thread that I cannot find to reference for this question someone stated that the 98-00 ECU's were not experiencing the leaking capacitor issue. Do you agree with this sentiment?
Old 01-19-13, 05:29 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

LSCowboyLS - in a recent thread that I cannot find to reference for this question someone stated that the 98-00 ECU's were not experiencing the leaking capacitor issue. Do you agree with this sentiment?
I agree that 98-00 have not had the huge issue with it that 90-97 models have

a couple of reasons for this, one of the bad capacitors that was causing the problem (Nichicon PF) was phased out in 98, though some can show up in 99 and 00 ECU's because that was a manufacturing phase out, not a usage phase out until the ECU redesign of 2001

also, 98-00 cars are newer, and this problem happens with time, and is exacerbated by the car sitting, like a Florida snow bird car does, half the year.

have definitely seen the problem on 98-00 models, just to a lesser degree, so far, than 90-97

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 01-19-13 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-19-13, 05:32 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Thats right. Its just so interesting that it made a such a difference. So you believe the caps are at fault here?
most definitely, that is really the only thing in an ECU that we have seen fail, that could affect the transmission
Old 01-20-13, 06:51 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

New Rubycon selection chart released

All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)-1ylq5ac.jpg
Old 01-30-13, 07:29 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

it's not always just the caps that have issues, here is a burned up larger wattage resistor from a 92 LS400 (the light blue one burned in half near middle of pic)

All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)-pdzxinq.jpg
Old 02-02-13, 05:50 AM
ls400geek
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Techmotion
But all is good now!! Found an ECU on eBay for $150 and when it came and i installed it, all my problems were solved. I will still replace all the ecu caps when i get a chance. Thanks for all your info. Another LS saved from the scrap yard!!
Btw, I heard when you change the ECU, you have to get with it the set of keys that match that ECU (at least for my 1998 LS400). Did you have to get new keys? Or can you take out the EPROM of the old unit and replace the one in the new unit with it--i.e. to use your old keys?

Last edited by ls400geek; 02-02-13 at 06:00 AM.

Quick Reply: All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)