LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Where are you guys buying your performance parts from?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-12, 11:01 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Where are you guys buying your performance parts from?

So i've been looking at getting a 95-2000 LS and finding parts for these cars is a bit tricky to say the least. ive found a few places that sell Coilovers and the off suspension arm but beyond that, all of the old links in the FAQ are either broken or the parts no longer exist.

from what ive read the 2 best coilovers are either the Megan or the BC BR's at about $1000 shipped but after that, its like falling off a cliff trying to find stuff. ebay isn't much help either.
im looking for the toe, control and camber arms in the rear and in the front if possible in order to get the car on the ground and sitting right. can only find the odd Megan part here, is that all there is?

im probably going to build my own exhaust because i'm not spending $2k for something made of parts i can source and build for <1/4 that.

anyways, just curious where you guys were buying parts from.

TIA

Mitch.
Old 09-18-12, 12:31 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

our cars are a niche market so the parts are very limited outside japan. you are right with the coilovers but there are other alternatives, and many threads on it. do a search regarding suspension as well as exhaust.

as for the suspension arms, megan is the most commonly found. i personally would run studio parts, but they are limited in quantity as well. http://bold-move.com/?page_id=18
Old 09-18-12, 12:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

there are next to no bolt-on "performance" parts available for the LS.

megan has 2 coilover options, one in the $700 and one around $1000. PBM, BCR, JIC, Tein, Cusco, Tanabe, Buddyclub, and a host of other Japan only companies make coilovers for the LS, at varying pricepoints. Those I just listed are obtainable in the US if you know where to look.

Exhaust headers are available (search), exhaust systems you're better of getting made locally from quality materials (search more), some arms are available from Studio Bold/Battle Version, and RCAs are available from Studio Bold/Youzealand/Figs. Nagisa Auto sells complete arm setups but they're both expensive and only really needed if you're doing some ridiculous widebody full camber build.

By the way, You don't NEED any of those arms on an LS to get it "sitting straight". there is considerable factory adjustment in the stock setup so you can minimize camber and run zero-d out toe all around while slammed.

please search a little harder
Old 09-18-12, 01:13 PM
hotdawwg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info!
Old 09-18-12, 02:15 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

building onto what PD said, he is right you don't need any arms to get the car dialed in. the only thing i see that you may need is the rear toe arms to get the rear toe corrected as the stock is limited. this is only if you want to ride slammed!
Old 09-18-12, 03:19 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Timmy,
thanks! that is what i was after concerning the arms.

PD,
i plan on building my own exhaust, myselfmost likely out of food/surgical grade 316 like i use for all my other projects. as per my other thread, i'm more than capable to build it from the ports back although i will probably restrict it from the header flanges back. I'm new to modifying Lexus' but not other cars, and some of the acronyms on here do not sync with the rest of the industry... searching RCA turns up a lot of stereo threads. lol
Old 09-18-12, 05:22 PM
RA010623
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LEXUS DEALER. eBAY
Old 09-18-12, 08:59 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Shmee
Timmy,
thanks! that is what i was after concerning the arms.

PD,
i plan on building my own exhaust, myselfmost likely out of food/surgical grade 316 like i use for all my other projects. as per my other thread, i'm more than capable to build it from the ports back although i will probably restrict it from the header flanges back. I'm new to modifying Lexus' but not other cars, and some of the acronyms on here do not sync with the rest of the industry... searching RCA turns up a lot of stereo threads. lol
surgical grade 316 alloys aren't produced in the tubing diameters you need and will be annoying to work with. marine grade 316 will be a better compromise.

surgical and food grade 316 stainless are different subtypes btw.

The acronyms I have given you are correct, you forgot to factor in the difference in industry. Context is key, RCA in terms of automotive suspension stands for Roll Center Adapter.
Old 09-19-12, 06:12 AM
fastegg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Toe links Traction links

Hi... I just looked on that Studio site... What are Toe links and Traction links ?
Old 09-19-12, 06:16 AM
fastegg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Slammed ? What the ??

Hi Puredrifyer... What does 'Driving while slammed' mean ?
Old 09-19-12, 08:14 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by fastegg
Hi Puredrifyer... What does 'Driving while slammed' mean ?
Driving while the car is lowered with coilovers or airbags.
Old 09-19-12, 09:28 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Kenji815,
What performance parts are you buying from the dealer?
eBay isn't overly helpful, as I already stated.
Thanks though

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
surgical grade 316 alloys aren't produced in the tubing diameters you need and will be annoying to work with. marine grade 316 will be a better compromise.
2.5" id is not acceptable to work with?
I have never had a problem working with either food grade or surgical grade stainless. The food grade stuff is a joy to weld and often needs almost zero filler if your gaps are tight. Surgical, I have found as no trickier to weld than normal steel.

surgical and food grade 316 stainless are different subtypes btw.
I am aware of that. It's more a matter of which my supplier has in stock at the better deal. Typically, it's the food grade I use as its rare to get a smoking deal on the surgical grade stuff.

The acronyms I have given you are correct, you forgot to factor in the difference in industry. Context is key, RCA in terms of automotive suspension stands for Roll Center Adapter.
Lol, i didnt forget to factor in anything. I was just commenting on how searching for "RCA" on here turns up a LOT of erroneous results if you are not looking for stereo stuff. RCA is also a standard acronym for Rear Control Arms. Very few cars have the ability to adjust roll center without major alterations to the suspension systems. Lexus' seem to be one of the few brands out there that have this ability seemingly across its entire product line. You might find the odd other car out there with a suspension design that would allow a Roll Center Adjuster, that doesn't mean they exist though.
Old 09-19-12, 11:38 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We can help you get whatever we carry, but there really aren't a whole lot of aftermarket parts for the LS.

Check out our website for the brads we carry, and we always have Club Lexus member deals
Old 09-19-12, 11:13 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Shmee
Kenji815,
What performance parts are you buying from the dealer?
eBay isn't overly helpful, as I already stated.
Thanks though

2.5" id is not acceptable to work with?
I have never had a problem working with either food grade or surgical grade stainless. The food grade stuff is a joy to weld and often needs almost zero filler if your gaps are tight. Surgical, I have found as no trickier to weld than normal steel.

I am aware of that. It's more a matter of which my supplier has in stock at the better deal. Typically, it's the food grade I use as its rare to get a smoking deal on the surgical grade stuff.

Lol, i didnt forget to factor in anything. I was just commenting on how searching for "RCA" on here turns up a LOT of erroneous results if you are not looking for stereo stuff. RCA is also a standard acronym for Rear Control Arms. Very few cars have the ability to adjust roll center without major alterations to the suspension systems. Lexus' seem to be one of the few brands out there that have this ability seemingly across its entire product line. You might find the odd other car out there with a suspension design that would allow a Roll Center Adjuster, that doesn't mean they exist though.
search for the exhaust thread, unless you're going forced induction 2.25" tubing will be a better choice.

just about any double wishbone and macpherson strut front suspension can have the roll center adjusted with the proper aftermarket parts.
Old 09-20-12, 12:02 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Fair enough about the 2.25" that would make it much harder to source food or surgical grade SS. saves me a little bit of money but, meh...

oh and "can have" != does have.
even if they do have such parts, often they are not called RCA but Camber correcting LBJs(lower ball joints) or offer some completely different method of static adjusting the roll centre. Porsches for example essentially use raised spindles in their factory race cars. if the ball joint inserts directly into te knuckle, typically there is no RCA offering.

Quick Reply: Where are you guys buying your performance parts from?