LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My first Lexus. 1991 LS400!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 10:29 PM
GFox
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My first Lexus. 1991 LS400!

Hey guys, I am sure most of you know my boyfriend Kaiyin on here. Well, he converted me over to the world of imports and I just purchased a 91 Lexus LS400 for $1900 last week. It has 177k and is in really good shape. Needs some TLC though (as any car for under 2k does). So... I was wondering if I could get some input and advice on these!

Needs audio. I think it was a theft recovery vehicle upon further inspection. Only the sub works and the other speakers don't work. Nakamichi head unit turns on, but only the sub works. I looked and there are speakers in all of the doors and tweeters are in place. Some of the lights are out on the climate control and radio. Are these replaceable?

Needs a glove box. Mine has the latch snapped off and it wont stay closed. Using the little strap inside to keep it pinned up.

Needs A/C. Charged it one day, worked fine, and it all leaked out the next. Probably just seals (hopefully).

Key engaging issue? Sometimes the key wont engage the starter, so I pop it in neutral and back into park and it works... Shifter not sitting right?

***Power steering cut out at low RPM and works fine at speed. Read up and maybe is a high pressure hose? It is leaking for sure, I can see as much.

Needs CV maybe? Clunking (loud) on passenger front side when I brake hard. Happens intermittently, but is very present and can be felt in the floorboard when it happens.

TRAK is stuck off. The button does nothing and it just is stuck off. Maybe the button? The TRAK light also comes on randomly...

(Stupid little thing that bugs me: Key doesn't lock/unlock doors. Got a new battery and it still doesn't work.)

And for interior, it is darn near mint. Center console fake wood has chipped off and needs to be replaced, and the driver's seat and steering wheel have seen... well... much better days. But nothing that is horrendous.

But for the plus sides, it was owned by an elderly women for most of its life, it is fairly rust free (21 yrs in MN), news timing belt/water pump, new brakes/shocks all around, most of the little electrical things still work (seats,mirrors,defrost, etc) and it runs like a top. I honestly love the car, and cannot believe I didn't own one sooner. :P

Old 09-13-12, 11:11 PM
hotdawwg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your purchase! I too just took delivery on my 1995 today
Old 09-14-12, 07:32 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the new ride!

Radio, check the harness, maybe the headunit itself is bad?

If the LCD is out on the climate control you can replace the LCD or send it off to be replaced for under $80.

Wood trim and glove box should be easy to find in the junkyard. 90-92 LS4s litter my local JYs. Even better on half off day.

You don't have a CV, it might be the caliper locking up and then letting go, or the ball joint or tie rod binding up.

Trac might be just the bulb in the dash.

Keyfob not working; On my 93 there's a switch by the steering wheel to turn the system on or off, is yours on or off?

New timing belt/water pump, brakes and shocks and good interior? well bought at that price. Enjoy!
Old 09-14-12, 08:20 AM
GFox
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DonCorleone
Congrats on the new ride!

Radio, check the harness, maybe the headunit itself is bad?

If the LCD is out on the climate control you can replace the LCD or send it off to be replaced for under $80.

Wood trim and glove box should be easy to find in the junkyard. 90-92 LS4s litter my local JYs. Even better on half off day.

You don't have a CV, it might be the caliper locking up and then letting go, or the ball joint or tie rod binding up.

Trac might be just the bulb in the dash.

Keyfob not working; On my 93 there's a switch by the steering wheel to turn the system on or off, is yours on or off?

New timing belt/water pump, brakes and shocks and good interior? well bought at that price. Enjoy!
I tried the switch on the dash before I posted, made sure it was ON and still no dice. Maybe the key or receiver are bad? I'll dig into it in the spring. Not a huge deal at the moment.

For the radio,I have an audio guy that I will drop it by in a few weeks. Going to sort the power steering and clunking. Driveability comes first!

Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep my eye out on here for parts and dig through my local yards for parts.
Old 09-14-12, 02:47 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the thumping sounds like a link issue, check LBJ/UCA for bushings and ball joint wear, also check the strut rod bushings as they will cause exactly your issue if they are overdue for replacement.

if the headunit is bad you will have the issue you mentioned, though it varies which channels go bad. It could however just be dead door speakers.

Check the Neutral Safety Switch, it sounds like the likely culprit for your starting issue.
Old 09-14-12, 04:06 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

the head unit and track button not working and you saying it might have been stolen before. could just be the plugs. since the plug for the track switch is on back of the ashtray and of course the plugs for radio are right on back of the radio. maybe who ever recovered the car just shoved them, back in? might have been in the process of being taken apart when found who knows. hoping for something simple to fix your radio and track button. LOL good luck welcome to the Lexus family. looks like you found a real jem there on that one.

when you say the key doesnt unlock doors do you mean the keyfob alarm or the actual key itself. keyfob could just be the battery in the keyfob. if you mean the key itself doesnt unlock the doors. i think a few things. they changed the ignition key and lock. since you say it was stolen? so ignition doesnt match door and trunk locks,or maybe keyfob isnt moving the door acuators. they are known to go bad over time just not all of them. like on my ls only way to unlock driver door is with the key. probly my actuator since all other power locks work even when using the key in the manual door.
Old 09-14-12, 05:16 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Welcome! Once you get the problems hammered out these are some of the best automobils made.
Old 09-16-12, 10:06 PM
GFox
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the thumping sounds like a link issue, check LBJ/UCA for bushings and ball joint wear, also check the strut rod bushings as they will cause exactly your issue if they are overdue for replacement.

if the headunit is bad you will have the issue you mentioned, though it varies which channels go bad. It could however just be dead door speakers.

Check the Neutral Safety Switch, it sounds like the likely culprit for your starting issue.
I am dropping the car off at my buddy's shop on Thursday to let him go through it and see what the deal with the clunking and power steering is. It should be resolved fairly soon.

Thanks for the advice on the head unit... did figure it was ancient. Got an audio shop I can swing by in a few weeks to have them sort out all that.
Old 09-17-12, 12:19 PM
denverdog
Pole Position

as for the door speakers, they are probably dead at this age. you can go with components in the front, or just a good 4" speaker, like boston accoustics SR45's, or image dynamics ctx-4's. they aren't that hard to put in. get the tool at an auto parts store to pry the panels off. it's worth it. to not mess up the panels or break all the platic pins. if yu can do the install yourself, yucan put the extra $ into better speakers, like those i've mentioned. better for you in the long run.
Old 09-18-12, 01:44 PM
Kaiyin
Pole Position

Hi

it's my better half, so be nice
Old 09-18-12, 02:33 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GFox

Center console fake wood has chipped off and needs to be replaced