LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is it suppose to be free ???

Old 09-04-12, 11:17 AM
shaft1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it suppose to be free ???

I would like to disable the automatic steering wheel tilt and telescopic feature on my LS to minimize the wear and tear on the motors. Don't need this featrure at all -- plenty of room to get in and out.

I called my local Lexus and Toyota dealer and I was told that it will cost me about $50 for them to disable this feature.

What have you experienced with your dealer regarding this issue?
Old 09-04-12, 11:30 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

just remove the plastic cover on your column and unplug the motors.
Old 09-04-12, 11:35 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Or you can pull the fuse.
Old 09-04-12, 12:11 PM
shaft1
Rookie

Originally Posted by billydpowe
just remove the plastic cover on your column and unplug the motors.
Thats not going to work for me. I still need to be able to use the tilt and telescopic when needed. I just dont need it to do it for me everytime I stick or pull the key out.
Old 09-04-12, 12:23 PM
MValentine
Driver

Originally Posted by shaft1
Thats not going to work for me. I still need to be able to use the tilt and telescopic when needed. I just dont need it to do it for me everytime I stick or pull the key out.
IIRC, if you have the dealership deactivate it. Then you wont be able to use it at all. Except when it retracts when you put the key into the ignition..
Old 09-04-12, 01:13 PM
shaft1
Rookie

Originally Posted by MValentine
IIRC, if you have the dealership deactivate it. Then you wont be able to use it at all. Except when it retracts when you put the key into the ignition..
Thats a bummer if thats the case.

If you had yours deactivated, can you please verify that the switch will not work at all? Would hate to waste my time or money for nothing. Thx.
Old 09-04-12, 01:19 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

just pull the fuse. my buddy did it for his 99 ls400. when you want the option again, just put the fuse back in. easy as that.
Old 09-04-12, 05:15 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

do you know if one pulls the fuse, will the memory seat/mirror function still work?
Old 09-04-12, 08:03 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the proper way to do it is to have the dealership change the program card settings so the auto-tilt/tele function is disabled (it's a single setting).

only applies to '98-00 cars iirc.

I don't see why the service has to be free, I mean it would be nice and all, but given that depending on how many settings you want to change it can take over 30-40minutes, and you're getting charged for the bare-minimum half-hour of labor, it's not bad. I'm sure if you were getting other maint. work done at that dealership they'd consider throwing it in, but i don't by any means feel my 13 year old car "deserves" free labor...

Last edited by PureDrifter; 09-04-12 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-04-12, 08:09 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

I would like to disable the automatic steering wheel tilt and telescopic feature on my LS to minimize the wear and tear on the motors. Don't need this featrure at all -- plenty of room to get in and out.

I called my local Lexus and Toyota dealer and I was told that it will cost me about $50 for them to disable this feature.

What have you experienced with your dealer regarding this issue?
No, feature customizing is done for free only one time, only for new car buyers and it has to be performed shortly after the car is purchased new. $50 seems quite inexpensive when the hourly dealer mechanic charge is often over $100/hour.

Attached is a list of all the features that can be customized. I had my "illuminated entry lighting time" set to the maximum a few years ago and I think I paid about $50 to have it done.

Personally, I like the auto tilt away feature a lot and will not turn it off. If it breaks, I'll have it fixed. I'm fortunate that my 2000 LS400 was made at the very end of the model year and had the tilt/telescope fix TSIB done at the factory.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CBES.pdf (43.8 KB, 283 views)
Old 09-04-12, 08:21 PM
shaft1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kansas
No, feature customizing is done for free only one time, only for new car buyers and it has to be performed shortly after the car is purchased new. $50 seems quite inexpensive when the hourly dealer mechanic charge is often over $100/hour.

Attached is a list of all the features that can be customized. I had my "illuminated entry lighting time" set to the maximum a few years ago and I think I paid about $50 to have it done.

Personally, I like the auto tilt away feature a lot and will not turn it off. If it breaks, I'll have it fixed. I'm fortunate that my 2000 LS400 was made at the very end of the model year and had the tilt/telescope fix TSIB done at the factory.
Thanks for the copy of the TSB. Where do you guys finds these documents?

Do you know if the dealership deactivate it that I wont be able to use the tilt / telescopic feature at all?

Last edited by shaft1; 09-04-12 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-05-12, 03:49 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Thanks for the copy of the TSB. Where do you guys finds these documents?

Do you know if the dealership deactivate it that I wont be able to use the tilt / telescopic feature at all?
I've accumulated a "library" of hundreds (thousands?) of documents related to various Lexus models - some provided by friends and the rest from spending too much time on car forums and the Internet in general.

Deactivating the automatic tilt away feature does not otherwise affect the tilt/telescope system. You would still be able to adjust the steering wheel position with the toggle button on the steering column.
Old 09-05-12, 04:54 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Just fly here to Seattle and my buddy at the dealer will do it for free, just pay for your plane ticket and he will save you the 50bux
Old 09-05-12, 01:36 PM
shaft1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kansas
I called another Lexus dealer closer to work and spoke to the service advisor and said he will do it free of charge. Hopefully no surprises when I get there.
Old 09-05-12, 01:42 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

my 93 has a button to shut it off. i guess newer ones dont?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it suppose to be free ???