LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bought my first LS400 for $450... BUT KEY WONT TURN IN IGNITION HELP !

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-12, 06:45 AM
luxxx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought my first LS400 for $450... BUT KEY WONT TURN IN IGNITION HELP !

So yesterday I came upon an add on craigslist for a 1994 LEXUS LS400 for $2000

I called the owner and managed to bring the car down to $450 after 2 days of negotiating, and finally went over last night to see the car. With my dad's consent we decided to go ahead and purchase the car the same night. So fast forward to today , my issue now is the key that was given to us is not turning in the ignition. The wheel is not locked , and it is now sitting in park. Last owner told me that all we need is a new ignition lock cylinder and the car will fire right up.

My question is ,

1. I have heard of lexus having a chip that is routed with the key as a safety security thingy in the back. Does my car have a chip , how & should I replace the key which is only the shaft part that inserts into the key hole or the whole cylinder.

2. Am I able to replace it or does this need to go to lexus ( I PREFER NOT )

Help !
Attached Thumbnails Bought my first LS400 for 0... BUT KEY WONT TURN IN IGNITION HELP !-img-20120827-00158.jpg   Bought my first LS400 for 0... BUT KEY WONT TURN IN IGNITION HELP !-img-20120827-00153.jpg  
Old 08-28-12, 07:56 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Wow $450.00!!! What a steal. Welcome to the club. There is no reason why you can't have a independent shop do the work for you if you are not comfortable with the installation. Search online for the new cylinder locks. Please correct me if I am wrong, I believe on your year the immobilizer is tied to the alarm being activated via the remote. Your ignition is not "chipped" like new model LS400's. Please confirm this because I am not 100% sure. Why not call a Lexus dealer and speak to the service manager and see what they have to say. I have found service departments are often quite helpful. Also, you did try wiggling the wheel while turning the key in order to unlock the steering wheel? Might be pointless if the cylinder is totally shot.

Example

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-28-12 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-28-12, 08:16 AM
luxxx
Driver School Candidate

Hello , Thanks for the source ! Lavrish

Excited to have a lexus , gonna make her clean if I dont have to spend a fortune on it..

But anyways , I just recently called lexus and they came up with the ignition switch that I need with a PAIR of keys for $211

As far as the labor I would really like to be able to do it myself since this car was an investment , and I am a aspiring technician and believe if it was made by man it can be fixed by another man !

But thats just my logic , now how do i go about fixing this issue . Are there any write ups on removing the ignition switch? I am looking to purchase the ignition switch and replacement keys but I want to remove it first and determine if it is my ignition switch that needs replaced before hand.

I heard of a pin where the switch is locked at , and that the key needs to be in "ACC" to knock this pin out to remove the cylinder? Can anyone provide me with more info on this

Really would like this car to run , she'll be my daily driver ! So help ! lol
Attached Thumbnails Bought my first LS400 for 0... BUT KEY WONT TURN IN IGNITION HELP !-img-20120828-00161.jpg  
Old 08-28-12, 11:48 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

...you did make sure the steering wheel lock wasnt engaged right..?

if so, you would try turning the wheel a bit in either direction while turning the key...
Old 08-28-12, 12:23 PM
RA010623
Pit Crew

look like the key tumbler is damaged
Old 08-28-12, 02:34 PM
luxxx
Driver School Candidate

I called lexus they also explained to me that it does sound like a key tumbler . When i buy a whole new ignition cylinder deos the tumbler come along with everything.
Old 08-28-12, 02:38 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow great deal, hope you get it running soon.
Old 08-28-12, 05:46 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if the tumbler is indeed damaged i'd push you to find a local locksmith who can work on them, then buying a used cylinder and having him rekey it. That way you don't have separate keys to start the car and get into it.
Old 08-29-12, 07:05 PM
j2b4o
Pole Position

In the meantime try shaking the wheel back and forth while turning the key. I have heard of several LS owners having an intermittent issue with the steering lock and that seems to work for them.
I agree that a good locksmith is probably the way to go if it's the tumbler.
Old 08-30-12, 08:28 PM
luxxx
Driver School Candidate

Well I went on rock auto and purchased a new lock cylinder for the car, comes with the lock cylinder and a pair of cut key. Although I should have probably called a locksmith like you all suggested , but I went ahead and bought this cylinder. I'll wait till it gets here and install it to see how that goes , pray it'll be an easy fix that is.

If the tumbler is bad wouldn't I have to replace it any how ?
Old 08-30-12, 08:44 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by luxxx
Well I went on rock auto and purchased a new lock cylinder for the car, comes with the lock cylinder and a pair of cut key. Although I should have probably called a locksmith like you all suggested , but I went ahead and bought this cylinder. I'll wait till it gets here and install it to see how that goes , pray it'll be an easy fix that is.

If the tumbler is bad wouldn't I have to replace it any how ?
Did you finally get the cylinder lock out? As far the tumblers go, I think the idea was that if a locksmith could repair it you would not have to have separate keys between your ignition / doors.
Old 09-01-12, 03:06 PM
luxxx
Driver School Candidate

Well my two keys and lock cylinder just came in the mail from ROCKAUTO for like $150 i believe. Now all to do is take out old lock put in new...

I'll keep you's updated
Old 09-06-12, 04:28 PM
luxxx
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE !

I got the car to turn over ! Lock cylinder works and she turns over an runs but she runs slower then a scooter..

Still have yet to do a tune up on her and I lost the original keys to all the doors... Not sure what to do now
My plan is to use her as a daily driver for a few more months till tax time comes around and I'll be able to fix her or buy a different car.

260k miles has a hole in the down pipe & its loud as **** and does not accelerate for nothing. Fastest I've gone so far is 40mph

The last owner did not take care of the car what so ever , Ill soon do an oil change and my spark plugs then see how she runs afterwards. Do you's think its worth repairing?

i've heard if taken care of properly these v8 toyota engines can last forever ! Let me know what yous think

Interior is very very beat up too... its a shame too see this car in such beat up condition
Old 09-06-12, 05:06 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

glad you got the ignition sorted but why your car is not going any faster than 40mph, i suspect your timing. if the car as a whole is beat up, i would assume the engine was neglected as well. are there any check engine lights? check the codes is my first step.
Old 09-06-12, 05:52 PM
luxxx
Driver School Candidate

Im pretty sure the engine was also neglected ,& yes It could be the timing. What I do know is that one of my distributor cables had snapped and I had electric taped the cable back together as a cheap quick fix. So there are some misfires and sputtering especially at a stop lol. I will check out some junk yards & prices too see how much cables will be. Before I do that I'll change spark plugs and do an oil change and see how she runs. I also know she is burning some oil. And a huge exhaust leak makes my car sound like a monster truck... i hate it

Quick Reply: Bought my first LS400 for $450... BUT KEY WONT TURN IN IGNITION HELP !