LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Multiple 1LS Transmission rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-12, 06:50 PM
NetG
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Multiple 1LS Transmission rebuild questions

While I look for a transmission to just swap I need to prepare for a rebuild. I'll need to replace the clutches and replace all the parts on the valve body.

I would prefer performance clutches (I DO plan to increase hp but remain NA and not too much), no shift kits just regular valve body kit,

I've found 2 master kits...one is 200 the other is 600...anyone know the difference (rockauto has the two)...but that is OE quality, I want something a little more aggressive if I'm going to rebuild.

I can find much and folks just say "rebuilt transmission by a shop" so they don't know the internals, anyone know? gotta take the tranny out anyway, if I'm gonna spend 600 for a good rebuild kit or a used one I'd rather rebuild
Old 07-31-12, 11:28 PM
NetG
Driver

Default A340 iternal parts (supra turbo tranny internals) fit in our a341 casings?

I need to rebuild...and I can get OEM quality clutches for a supre turgo with this tranny. same tranny family a40 series. I need to rebuild mine...and I can get those parts...stock "upgrade" for under $200. I love rebuilding trannys too. I thought I'd hate it...but I hated haveing to leave class...I got the last class of the day...my techer let me stay until it was shop closing time. I loved those things...when you touch the parts it all makes sense in my head any hoo...any one know? Same series transmission but stronger plates?
Old 08-01-12, 12:21 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

merged since it's a similar enough topic.
Old 08-01-12, 03:22 AM
NetG
Driver

ah agreed, thanks.

also...I found stock a340e parts for good price...wondering if the internal are the same as the a341. It would be a stock rebuild but upgrade for this car as that was made for turbo mk2's. I would like to find lsd also (clutch type) but that will wait...right now I'm seriously looking at it being cheaper and faster for me to rebuild...so why not use those parts...do they fit? I dunno...

If not then anyone know any other places that can rebuild to superior than OE strength?
Old 08-05-12, 01:48 AM
NetG
Driver

Default Trans rebuild, a341 a340 internals quest.

I am planning to rebuild my transmission due to my current issues

When it comes to my daily drivers, my "style" of maintenance/modification/tuning is slow and methodical; when something wears out to the need of replacement I replace it with a superior performing part than what it came off the factory floor with. But since I'm not ready to drop over $1000 right now for "performance clutches" I will have to give a little. I would like OEM or superior performance but I'm not having much luck finding that aftermarket. So I started looking for stock/swap options. The MK3 turbo Supra peaked my interest as it has a similar family tranny, but then I realized the turbo's hp/torque and the MK3's weight were all significantly less than the LS. Now I've discovered the very first few year models of the Sequoia might have come with the A341E. Problem is I'm not finding much by way of verification of that. So far only wiki is saying the a341 came in the 01-05 sequoia's and looking for rebuild kits for it yielded nothing.

I do not mean to assume that these aftermarket rebuild kits really do differ, but since I'm going to buy an OEM quality rebuild kit I want to get one for this transmission that was in the heaviest vehicle and/or highest output engine. I also found out the 4x4 Sequoia has an A340F...which is an externally altered A340E. So now I'm back to thinking the A340E's internals might be beefier...but I'm going to guess none of these are significantly different since I'm buying rebuild kits from rock auto.

rock auto part numbers
Lexus A341E "Parts Authority" part # K97900
Toyota A340E/F "Parts Authority" part # K97900EL

Question here is this;
Does anyone know if the internals of the a340e and a341e are the same in regards to fitment?

If so I'm thinking 4x4 sequoia tranny parts would be a good replacement for my 341's internals.

OR

since these bolt up to the 1uz (the truck tranny would have some issues and would need to swap my LS's bell housing over) this might expand my options...looking for two trannies instead of one.

I'm about to drop $600 for a master kit but no more, so I want to get the most for my money

Last edited by NetG; 08-05-12 at 01:58 AM.
Old 08-05-12, 02:14 AM
NetG
Driver

according to orielly auto...they have the same internals >:-)

"
Detailed Description

Toyota 1985-02 A340E, A340H, A340F, AW4, A341E, 30-40LE
"

PARTS AUTHORITY Part # DK9700EL $175.79
Master Kit:
Paper & Rubber Kit, Front & Rear Seal, Ring Kit, Friction Clutches, Steel Plate
4 SP RWD A340E Transmission
4 SP 4X4 A340F Transmission

ATP Part # RM45 $296.79
Master Repair Kit:
Friction and Steel Clutch Plates, Gaskets, Seals, O'Rings, and Sealing Rings.
Trans. code A340E
Trans. code A340F (Only 3 Remaining)

Do I NEED to replace EVERYTHING (seal/oring/gaskets and friction plates yes) but what about the steel plates? I could save a hundred bucks if I don't need them. But I don't want to half *** this, full kit?

Last edited by NetG; 08-05-12 at 02:36 AM.
Old 08-05-12, 02:22 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would the truck componets be better marerials? I also understand wanting to build a bullet proof trans, but unless your planning major horsepower in the future I really wouldnt worry too much about it. Lookin forward to pics of your build. Good luck.
Old 08-05-12, 02:43 AM
NetG
Driver

Originally Posted by cobalt91
Would the truck componets be better marerials? I also understand wanting to build a bullet proof trans, but unless your planning major horsepower in the future I really wouldnt worry too much about it. Lookin forward to pics of your build. Good luck.
From the factory I don't know...but considering these internals are mass produced (even for brand new cars)...I'm thinking they are no different between the different vehicles despite size. Usually truck parts are stronger and beefier...and heavier. It's along the same lines of thinking as this; take an engine from a heavy car, put it in a lighter car...it's stock...but better

I'm not really planning anything other than mild intake/exhaust. I want a nice DD, I've had a stripped out car with no a/c...I'm tired of that. As for the "build", I intend to replace wearing components with superior ones when possible. My old accord, I really didn't like and wanted to change just about EVERYTHING...this car I like If I do anything it will be to enhance it's present design/style.

From Rockauto's site the clutch discs for the a341 and a34f are the same part num...so internals plausible on swappable...but no on stronger.

Hey the factory parts lasted for 300k ...why am I sweating it
Old 08-05-12, 07:38 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

NetG please keep all your 1LS transmission rebuild questions confined to this thread instead of creating multiple new threads on the topic. This is your final warning, if you have any further questions on this topic feel free to PM me.

merged.
Old 08-05-12, 09:35 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by NetG

Hey the factory parts lasted for 300k ...why am I sweating it
Seriously, why are you sweating it? How much HP do you think you can get with naturally aspired mods? In my opinion, you would be lucky to see 40HP with a custom intake system, honed out intake manifold, headers, full exhaust system, etc...
Old 08-05-12, 06:48 PM
NetG
Driver

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Seriously, why are you sweating it? How much HP do you think you can get with naturally aspired mods? In my opinion, you would be lucky to see 40HP with a custom intake system, honed out intake manifold, headers, full exhaust system, etc...
I am fully aware of that, but when I replace something I replace it with superior performing parts plus there are always ideas spinning in my head
Old 08-24-12, 11:16 PM
NetG
Driver

Got another question,

I can get a rebuild kit with everything for about $200,
or I can get with with all the same stuff but minus the steel plates for $50 cheaper.

Are those steel plates something that I need to replaced or are they something that SHOULD be ok, nothing is for certain, but generally? I've torn down one auto tranny in my life so I'm not familiar with what all parts can be reused in a rebuild and which parts MUST be replaced (well seals and friction plates I know).
Old 08-26-12, 05:21 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your going to rebuild your transmission, why spend the time doing all that to only skip on $50? If you take the time to do it, take the time to do it right.
Old 08-27-12, 08:32 PM
NetG
Driver

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
If your going to rebuild your transmission, why spend the time doing all that to only skip on $50? If you take the time to do it, take the time to do it right.
Why replace unnecessary parts at extra cost? I'm not heavy on the funds, otherwise I would pay someone with more exp to rebuild it, hell I don't have the extra cash to buy either rebuild kit right now.

What if I found another kit that was $50 more and included all new mounting bolts/screws...if the present ones are not in need of replacing why waste money? Many parts in the tranny are to be re-used that COULD be replaced...such as snap rings etc...but do not NEED replacing unless obvious failure is observed.

This does nothing to answer the question, do they NEED replacing (are they a "wear" part) or no?

Last edited by NetG; 08-27-12 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-27-12, 09:52 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess you wont know until its taken apart and inspected.

Quick Reply: Multiple 1LS Transmission rebuild questions