LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

So I have w58 bolted to a 1uz...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-12, 08:23 PM
NetG
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default So I have w58 bolted to a 1uz...

2I have an 84 celica/supra a good friend of mine started working on...he fell ill...please I need to sell this car fast quick and reliable car just use google checkout...

Ok seriously my buddy swapped a SC400 1uz into his 84 c/s and rebuilt the W58 and she bolts right up thanks to a custom bell housing. He sold the car to me a while ago so now I'm having this GORGEOUS LS with transmission issues...and my quick search said the most expensive part of this is labor, getting a w58 and making it attach to the 1uz...granted my search was quick...but aside from some transmission mount issues...this could be a cheap fix...and I would do all the work, I never allow anyone to work on a car I own, one of my quirks.

Now if I can't figure out my tranny issue...considering I have spare pedals, and I already have a practically brand new w58 that bolts to the 1uz...what pieces might I need? Utilizing the c/s shifter and shift boot as well. I'm not sure but I think the c/s crossmember was modified somewhat...but I doubt it would bolt to my LS....would eliminate my transmission woe's.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...few-weeks.html

Added...sorry just found an sc400 with this swap...mounts are no problem, there is a bolt kit but most likely I will make my own fabricated mounts....I'll post back any unanswered questions or if I actually DO anything about this idea.

Ok so the only expensive thing I need is a custom driveshaft...the LS driveshaft is longer than the SC400 so the sc400 w58 driveshaft fix won't work.

And a VERY rough measuring shows the LS shaft having 2 feet on the c/s shaft...short car lol Well pricing out driveshafts either "new", or cutting of both shafts to yield one...if it's low enough...I might just have to do this

Last edited by NetG; 07-26-12 at 11:14 PM. Reason: left some shh out
Old 07-26-12, 10:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

please search, and if you're going to ask a question, putting the year and trim of your LS in the OP doesnt hurt either.

It's been done on an LS before, gettting the 1UZ-W58 conversion parts is simple now (hell I even have a set for a project i need more time for ).

that being said, you will be doing a fair bit of custom work for an old, relatively crappy version of the W58 (best ones were those installed in the SC300/NA MKIV Supra). You are looking at the following in addition to the 1uz-w58 adapter pieces, at minimum:
-custom trans mount
-custom clutch pedal, mount, and master cylinder
-brake booster and MC mods/replacement
-brake pedal mod
-shortened/new 1-piece driveshaft
-new rear end ratio to make it all work properly depending on year of LS
-much extended shifter housing and linkage (will have to be custom made by someone who knows what they're doing).
-if it's a '95+ LS400, a considerable amount of wiring to get the OBDII system to not complain.

get it out of your head that SC parts will bolt up, they won't. some things may be able to be modified to fit, but little will fit out of the box.

also, it's been done on a 1LS. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-5spd-m-t.html
Old 07-28-12, 09:55 AM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Due to the length of the driveshaft, if you decide to go one piece, Driveshaft Shop was adamant on a 3.5" diameter aluminum shaft. If you go this route, consider driveshaft diameter when customize the shift linkage.

I think your W58 has a cable speedo sender. The SC300/MKIV supra have an electric one which plugs right in.
Old 07-28-12, 12:25 PM
NetG
Driver

Originally Posted by mikes7ke
Due to the length of the driveshaft, if you decide to go one piece, Driveshaft Shop was adamant on a 3.5" diameter aluminum shaft. If you go this route, consider driveshaft diameter when customize the shift linkage.

I think your W58 has a cable speedo sender. The SC300/MKIV supra have an electric one which plugs right in.
It's currently bolted to a 1uz-fe sitting in a mk2 celica/supra
Old 07-28-12, 04:29 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

The W58 used is out of a celica supra, right? And you want to use it in a LS400, right? Well I could have sworn I read the mk2 and mk3 supra use a cable/mechanical speedo sensor. This won't work with the LS400. You'll need to do something to send an electric signal to work with the LS400.

I'm pretty sure your shift linkage extension won't work with the LS400. I used a SC300 W58 on my swap, which is already extended further than the celica supra linkage. I needed to get it extended 6.5". And to clear the 3.5" diameter driveshaft, I had to get it modified again, raised 1".

As Puredrifter stated, the clutch pedal install requires some work. You'll need to relocate the under dash fuse box, and remove the pedal e-brake, on top brake pedal modification.
Old 07-29-12, 03:12 AM
NetG
Driver

T...
True...but this exact swap has already been done, thanks to PD I found that thread and posted a link as well.

and necessity is the mother of all ingenuity (apparently not spelling skills...thanks again good 'ol spell check)...and I'm about to be REALLY needing
Old 07-29-12, 07:15 AM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

I also did the same swap. If you search you'll find my thread too. I'm telling you problems I ran into. I get the feeling most users here would be discouraged by the work involved with the swap. If these are only minor problems for you, go for it.
Old 07-30-12, 02:35 AM
NetG
Driver

I also did the same swap. If you search you'll find my thread too. I'm telling you problems I ran into. I get the feeling most users here would be discouraged by the work involved with the swap. If these are only minor problems for you, go for it.
My bad, no disrespect intended...I REALLY appreciate you giving me a heads up on those considering you've done this swap. I take your word they are more of an issue than I am giving them credit for being...so...I'm most likely going to put this idea on hold.

I got this car to quickly replace my old car...long story...any way I plan to rebuild my auto for now...when it wears out again we'll see what I feel like doing
Old 07-30-12, 01:27 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

I'm not trying to discourage you from the swap. I mean in my opinion it really wasn't too bad to do. Just keep in mind if you do go through with it, it's more work than converting a s13 or a 90s honda to manual.

If you really want to rebuild an automatic that bad, more power to you. Personally I'd be afraid to even open up an auto, if I was planning on using it again. If you want your car back on the road as soon as possible, I'd listen to PureDrifter's suggestions. If you want to do the five speed swap bad enough, I'll give as much information as I can to help you prepare for it.
Old 08-07-12, 10:28 PM
NetG
Driver

I'm not trying to discourage you from the swap. I mean in my opinion it really wasn't too bad to do. Just keep in mind if you do go through with it, it's more work than converting a s13 or a 90s honda to manual.

If you really want to rebuild an automatic that bad, more power to you. Personally I'd be afraid to even open up an auto, if I was planning on using it again. If you want your car back on the road as soon as possible, I'd listen to PureDrifter's suggestions. If you want to do the five speed swap bad enough, I'll give as much information as I can to help you prepare for it.
Well I still have the w58 and the bellhousing to mate it to the 1uz, the parts aren't going anywhere but. Since I really needed this car for a dependable driver it will be a lot simpler, easier, and most importantly faster if I just rebuild the a341. I get ahead of myself sometimes...
Old 08-07-12, 11:27 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

I have a question about the bellowing, sorry to go off topic. Does it have provisions for a clutch slave cylinder or do you use a hydraulic throw out bearing?
Old 08-08-12, 03:23 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

I have a question about the bellowing, sorry to go off topic. Does it have provisions for a clutch slave cylinder or do you use a hydraulic throw out bearing?
you mean a clutch fork?

If he's running the dellow or bullet bellhousings i believe they are clutch fork setups.
Old 08-14-12, 01:07 AM
NetG
Driver

To be honest I was more of a fender lizard for that C/S build, if even that lol. It was my buddy's car that he had to sell due to parking regulations and room. I know the bellhousing is custom but aside from that I assumed he had used the 84's parts, but I haven't done anything to that car aside from some donuts But the T-belt is due on it (engine swapped) and it has a bunch of minor issues that need resolving before I drive it or begin pulling parts. It did have some odd problem of the clutch not engaging properly in certain conditions. Any hoo I don't plan on having that transmission out for a LONG time now, sorry I can't answer your quest. as of yet.

Maybe in another decade when I have my degree done and my shop built...maybe not lol
project cars