LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Thinking About Buying - Non-Lexus Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-12, 09:31 AM
tman34
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking About Buying - Non-Lexus Owner

Hello everyone,

I am 25 and looking for a car. I've been doing a huge amount of research. My criteria for a car are below - in order of importance to me:

1) Large, tank-like, and safe (seen too many bad accidents with small cars)
2) Ridiculously reliable (I want to drive the car for a decade)
3) Under $12k

My research has told me the LS400 fits a lot of these criteria. I've found a 1999 with 79,000 miles, one owner, carfax is clean, for $11,900.

My question is: Do I go with a 13 year old high end car that gets top safety and reliability marks but costs a good deal to maintain, or do I go with a newer, '03/'04 toyota or honda, with less miles, cheaper to maintain, but maybe not the best car on the road?

I don't necessarily care if I'm driving a high-end or low-end car. It's not the prestige I'm looking for, it's the 3 criteria I've listed.

Has anyone faced this decision before? How much more expensive is a '99 LS400 to operate/maintain than a newer, lower-brand car?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-25-12, 09:40 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

If you can do the work yourself then it's only marginaly more expensive. You are paying a premium on every level to own a Lexus, and they are worth it if you would like the additional features. However, you say you don't really care. So get a newer cheaper car.
Old 07-25-12, 10:30 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

If you're buying the car for the 3 criteria that you listed then go with a camry/ avalon. If you're not looking at a ls400 then don't buy it. I'm sure it fits all 3 criteria but it's not cheap to maintain plus it's old and you might have to deal with potential problems. Also if you don't care if you drive a high end car or not you definitely don't want to get a ls400. It sounds like you just need a reliable car, good on gas and such, point A to point B type of vehicle so go with an accord/ camry
Old 07-25-12, 12:03 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

the Lexus LS series is the most reliable car ever made, and there isn't a finer luxury car in the world - no other car, even if you had a million dollars, has the Lexus level of reliability combined with it's safety, ride, performance and overall fit & finish.

the only car that even comes anywhere even remotely close is the current Infinity M series, and they sure aren't 12K, because there aren't any old enough.

for 12K I would get on ebay and find a '99 or 2000 model with about 75K garage kept miles from a southern state such that the car still looks like a new car, without as much as a door ding, and it has one owner and a perfect carfax and complete service records. - then I would fly to Florida or Arizona or wherever and pick it up and drive it home.

You will think you are driving an $85,000 car, 'cause that is about what they are new!
Old 07-25-12, 12:08 PM
denverdog
Pole Position

i have a '93 ls and a '98 avalon xls. the ls will last, if you maintain it. but parts ARE more expensive. and labor is generally more unless you can do it yourself. like the timing belt, and disassembling the suspension. the starter is a drag to do. unless you really CAN do these things, i'd recommend the avalon. get the xls with leather, sunroof and the premium sound with the sub. the leather is very soft. a lot more comfortable than the ls leather. and for the same money, you can get a much newer avalon. to me (a big guy), the avalon "feels" bigger and less crowded when driving it. the avalon is known as the japanese buick, and is the only japanese car (thugh made in kentucky, that is a "full size" car in the U.S., not counting acura, infinity, and lexus. back seat room is huge. get in the front, p[ut the seat where yu'll usually have it. then get in the back. it is a long-wheel-base camry, with more luxury touches. the ls has more of the "nth" degree of luxury, the first thought i had when i got in the avalon was that it was a scaled down copy of the ls dash, minus the 3-d effect when turning it on.

either one will last a LOT more than 70,000 additional miles, if maintained. gas mileage is at least 10% better in the avalon. the ls has that v8 power feel, but the avalon, at 500 pounds lighter, has more of a quick nimble feeling. THE ONE BIG CAUTION: have a mechanic check for sludging if you look closely at an avalon. that means pulling the front valve cover. check the internet or the years covered. it's roughly like "97 through "02, or something like that. mine didn't have the problem and it has run perfectly. got it with 82,000 mile on it. have driven it from denver to new york, tucson, and san fransisco.

if i had to do it all over again, i'd go with the avalon. but the ls has its points too. i think a lot comes down to whether you really can do the labor yourself. not "want to". not "want to learn". but REALLY can do it. if not, and it needs substantial stuff, you can be in a nightmare.
Old 07-25-12, 12:43 PM
RA010623
Pit Crew

for reliability and price of maintaince i think camry is way to go
Old 07-25-12, 02:00 PM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Accord *cough*
Old 07-25-12, 04:09 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I got a hell of a deal on mine but $11,900 seems like a lot. I paid $8,000 for a 99 with 67K and Nakamichi. Personally, I would not pay more then $9,000 - $10,000. Even though the mileage is below the timing belt service it is recommended every 7 years or 90K miles. That is a minimum $1,200.00 service. The LS400's are amazing cars and I think you will love the car but nearly $12,000 is too much. KBB values are inflated for today's market. I would go with the LS personally but only if you can get that price down. Happy hunting.
Old 07-25-12, 04:40 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Having driven LS400's for 22+ years, I can tell you that they can suck quite a bit of cash out of your budget. My CPA wife drives a 98 Camry, purchased new, and it has been far, far (did I mention FAR) less expensive to own and maintain than either the 90 LS400 I purchased new or the 2000 LS400 I purchased in 2003 at 38,000 miles.

How "deep" are your pockets? Are you OK with the occasional unexpected $2,000 repair bill?

After nine years of ownership, I still really like my 2000 LS400 which is about to have its 12th birthday (original sale date 07/31/2000). It's now at a bit over 155,000 miles. I might drive it another three years or so to around 200K-215K but I certainly can't see driving it much beyond 2015. These are great cars but they are not bulletproof.

$11,900 seems an incredibly high amount for a 99 LS even with fairly low mileage - you're getting into 01-03 LS430 territory pricewise.

I'd suggest looking at a much newer Hyundai or Kia especially if you need a daily driver.

Last edited by Kansas; 07-28-12 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-25-12, 08:07 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

12K is a good deal for the super creampuff I described, but not a garden variety, normal condition car.

The LS is a great deal if you are a do it yourselfer, the very few issues I have ever had with my 96 seem to always be fixable with a $50 part from ebay and some knowledge and a little skinned knuckles! - Never had a "$2000" problem, nor any problem that has ever stranded me with an undrivable vehicle.
Old 07-25-12, 08:45 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If it's a creampuff, then I say go for it. Considering most of us spend at least 2-hrs a day in a car, shouldn't it be a place you want be? My Lexus has been very reliable at 12-years. I think the idea of being pricy to drive is related to the desire to properly maintain a car like an LS. Look at it this way, that Camry you might buy still has way more depreciating to do.
Old 07-25-12, 09:16 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Close the door of an Avalon, then close the door of the same year model LS, and you will instantly know why the LS costs ~twice as much!

my mother has a 2000 Avalon with 30K less miles than my car, and the doors seen like tinny toys compared to my '96 LS

the Avalon is exceptionally reliable, however, just like the LS
Old 07-26-12, 02:15 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I concur with Kansas. As well built as these are, it is a machine and as they age. However they were cared for in their history will have impact in the higher miles. If you intend to drive this for a long time, you are at a mid-point and having the detailed maintenance records is important.

Read through the FAQ's in this and the LS430 sections. Any issues being discussed will be on your watch list for the cars you are considering.
Old 07-28-12, 08:13 PM
tman34
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I very much appreciate the honesty.

After driving several cars (lexus and others), I decided to go with the '99 LS. I got the guy down to a price I was comfortable with (especially after the helpful advice from Lavrishevo and Kansas on price) and thought was a good value.

After driving it and looking over every inch, the car is in near showroom condition except for a few dime-sized paint issues.

I drove it home - about 2 hours - and it performed flawlessly.

I strongly considered the avalon based on everyone's comments. Perhaps I will regret not deciding on that - but after seeing how the LS drives, I knew it was what I wanted. Maybe some of you are slapping your foreheads saying "he just went ahead and ignored our advice" - not true. I just decided that I liked the '99 better after I drove it My criteria changed after a test drive.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 07-28-12, 11:26 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Congrats! Post pics. Show it off.

Quick Reply: Thinking About Buying - Non-Lexus Owner