LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Am I a bad candidate for LS 400 ownership?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-12, 05:53 PM
Basscadet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I a bad candidate for LS 400 ownership?

I have found a local LS 400 that a friend of mine is selling, it's a '95 with 95,500 miles on it. He is asking $6000 for the car. I have ridden in the car and seen it and it is truly in excellent shape. However, he tells me that all he does is just take it for oil changes and that's all he has done for the past 2 years.

I am looking to buy his car and put about 4000-5000 miles on it between now and March, using it for a 240 mile commute to a project site. Once the project is over in March I would just use it for a daily driver and the mileage won't be anywhere near as bad.

For a car this old am I just asking for trouble? I honestly just love his car and all the other cars I have seen for my price range ($5-6k) are just total rattle traps.

I need a super reliable car that is an excellent highway cruiser. I need to get at least 22mpg. This thing has to be able to perform regardless if it is 100 F or 0 F outside...rain, snow, or sun.
Old 07-03-12, 06:12 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

I think thats a good price for the mileage, but it is also time for one of the more costly sevices. The timing belt. I belive after that is done you probly wont find a more reliable automobil for the money.
Old 07-03-12, 06:15 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

overpriced unless he does the timing belt/water pump. even then I would hesitate spending over $5k for it.

As it sits it's worth ~$4500 at best imho.
Old 07-03-12, 06:23 PM
Basscadet
Driver School Candidate

Are both of those items supposed to be replaced at 100k? Looking at the Lexus service history, I do not see any mention of either of these things being done. I suppose it is possible an independent shop could have done them?

What can I expect to pay to have both of these things done? Is it best for me to go to Lexus or go through an indy shop?
Old 07-03-12, 06:30 PM
RA010623
Pit Crew

be prepare to do tons of maintenance if you want to keep the car long term
Old 07-03-12, 06:33 PM
Basscadet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kenji815
be prepare to do tons of maintenance if you want to keep the car long term
This seems to be totally contrary to everything I have read on this forum. I thought this car was super reliable and capable of 300k+ miles?
Old 07-03-12, 07:04 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Basscadet
This seems to be totally contrary to everything I have read on this forum. I thought this car was super reliable and capable of 300k+ miles?
they ARE super reliable, but like anything mechanical, you have to maintain it to keep it in good working order. did you read about what can happen if the timing belt breaks?
Old 07-03-12, 07:15 PM
Basscadet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mspearl95
they ARE super reliable, but like anything mechanical, you have to maintain it to keep it in good working order. did you read about what can happen if the timing belt breaks?
Timing belt breaking is catastrophic for any car. Clearly this is something any responsible owner will have to do.

But from the way the previous comment sounded, kenji made it sound like I was buying a '98 BMW 740iL. Everything I have read in this forum indicates that the LS 400 is extremely reliable and not prone to breaking but if something does break, you better open up your wallet. Is this not correct? I'd rather not have to buy an Acura.
Old 07-03-12, 07:41 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts
Smile

Timing belt breaking is catastrophic for any car. Clearly this is something any responsible owner will have to do.

But from the way the previous comment sounded, kenji made it sound like I was buying a '98 BMW 740iL. Everything I have read in this forum indicates that the LS 400 is extremely reliable and not prone to breaking but if something does break, you better open up your wallet. Is this not correct? I'd rather not have to buy an Acura.
Timing belt break CAN BE catastrophic, depending on whether or not the car has an interference engine or not. 95 and up LS400s are, but the gen1s are not.

LS400s(and Lexus in general) are not prone to breaking(they are toyotas after all). They are probably a bit more expensive to fix, especially if you maintain it at the Lexus dealer. OEM parts are generally expensive as well, but there are plenty of cheaper aftermarket parts available for the DIY guy if you choose to go that route. It IS a luxury car, so it makes sense that fixing them will be a bit more out of pocket, does it not? That's just the way things work. I've never been involved with Acuras, but I imagine that since they are Honda's luxury lineup, the same logic would apply.

Another option would be to buy a toyota corolla. Its a super reliable car that will go 300,000 miles no prob and is cheap to fix if it breaks. Just sayin' .
Old 07-03-12, 07:47 PM
Basscadet
Driver School Candidate

LOL Well I get what you're saying, but I am willing to "pay to play". I'll be happy to pay a little more in upkeep to enjoy the LS400 over the Corolla!
Old 07-03-12, 08:27 PM
RA010623
Pit Crew

yes they car is reliable it doesn't mean you don't need to do maintenance on it.
the bushing fail all around the car that will need replacement base on car's age.
the engine need basic maintenance.
Old 07-04-12, 03:51 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Like everyone else said. The TB/WP is a big job, all the suspension components are likely on the way out if not already bad. Most of the bits are fairly high priced (higher than alot of BMW suspension parts). The drivetrain is fairly bullet proof but even little BS valves and sensors that will eventually go bad are well north of 100$. Overall I would say they are extremely reliable compared to just about any other luxury car ever made (except maybe a w123 merc).
Most of the Acura's in this price range have a wealth of almost assured problems like dash lights and tons of other little miserable crap that always goes bad. The TL and CL most notably also had massive transmission issues.
Old 07-04-12, 10:35 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I also think the price is way too high, even though it is a Lexus with less then 100k. The timing belt/water pump job will run you about $1500-$1800 from the dealer. An independant shop might be half that but they would use cheap aftermarket parts which can fail sooner. It is over due for the tb/wp. (90,000) The LS is VERY reliable with regular, and preventive, maintainance. But like everything else, things fail with age. Offer him $4500 and mention it needs the tb done. That might even be why he's selling it now.
Old 07-04-12, 10:43 AM
Basscadet
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I'm confused. Is the timing belt due at 90k or 100k miles on a 1995 LS 400? Same with water pump?
Old 07-04-12, 11:00 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Ok, I'm confused. Is the timing belt due at 90k or 100k miles on a 1995 LS 400? Same with water pump?
Yes and yes. At 90k don't wait too much longer.

These cars are great just take great care of it and it will live a long life. I am at 219k now and drives like new but i have spent a small fortune on it. Don't want a new car payment anymore. When i have to get rid of this one will look for another but will be newer version of course.

Quick Reply: Am I a bad candidate for LS 400 ownership?