LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

my sick LS400

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-12, 02:21 PM
soso
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile my sick LS400

Hi everybody,I'm paul from Australia.I'm new here and I would like to say hello to every lexus lovers on here and I'm so glad to have found this site.
I've own my lexus for 12yrs now with not any major problem.But recently I did the major service on it after 220,000kms,after I've degrease and washed the engine, it start ok but with no power whether reverse or forward. I've checked for water in every possible connections.I've found water in 2 of the spark plugs and the distributor cable(but not in the distributor itself).
Still the same problem exist..Please if anyone out there have had the same problem please help me on how to fix this problem.
Many thanks.
Old 06-27-12, 08:30 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you got water somewhere you shouldnt have.

pop the hood and put it somewhere sunny, best to let the water bake out before you try to troubleshoot.
Old 06-27-12, 10:14 PM
soso
Driver School Candidate

Smile Many thanks

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
you got water somewhere you shouldnt have.

pop the hood and put it somewhere sunny, best to let the water bake out before you try to troubleshoot.
Dear Mr. PureDrifter:
I'm very much appreciated for your advice,
I was thinking like that at first but then maybe panic set in,that's y I've tried to fix it straight away.
Again many thanks to you Sir.
Old 07-09-12, 10:47 PM
RippedNH
Driver School Candidate

Hey SoSo, just wanted to take a minute & tell you I had the exact same problem last week after power washing/degreasing my 1990 LS400. Car was perfectly fine before the wash then after, it would stumble , skip, & chug, especially from low idle/take off. The idle would surge from 500 rpm - 2000 rpm. I spent a day going between all the Lexus forums and my engine compartment trying to diagnose what was wrong. I checked the fuel relay, fuel pump resistor, tps, checked all vacuum lines, & did the jumper trick to test for trouble codes & couldn't find anything. I finally checked the IAC (idle air control valve) & found it wasn't functioning. I took it out, took it apart, cleaned it, put power to it & found that it was completely dead. I picked up a good IAC from a junkyard and installed it. This took car of my surging idle problem, but didn't get rid stumbling/skipping/chugging issue. I pulled the plug wires and found some water down in the spark plug tubes. I blew the tubes out w/compressed air & dried off the plug wires, but this still didn't solve the problem. I should have pulled the distributors & checked if there was water/moisture in them but I didn't have time.
I noticed over the past few days the engine has been getting smoother and smoother on the highway. (I have a 80 kilometer drive to work every day.) Well today, I left for work and the engine complete smoothed out as I got on the highway & stayed that way. I came back home tonight and the problem seems to be completely gone. The lesson I learned is DON'T EVER SPRAY YOUR LEXUS ENGINE WITH WATER!!!
So my advice to you would be to check your plugs/wires for wetness/moisture and do the same for your distributor. If you can't or don't want to do that, drive your car on the highway for about a 1/2hr every day and the problem should work itself out in 4-6 days. Good luck!!
Old 07-10-12, 06:29 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

When i got mine I just wiped everything down with a series of wet rags with some mild cleaner/degreaser where needed. Made sure to dry each area before moving on to the next. I wasn't able to clean every crevice this way but I got it relitively clean with no issues. I usually recomend this method over the spray the engine clean method on motors newer than 1990.

I realize this doesn't help you now. Just figured I'd throw it out here so you can still clean the engine without worry in the future.
Old 07-10-12, 11:21 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

Washing-degreasing these aging engine compartments is not good for reasons like the above. The rubber and plastic does not seal like it used to and with high pressure washing, this forces water into places it shouldn't. Even if using a garden hose. Carefully spray any cleaners then wipe the areas with a rag. In this situation, all you can do is wait and let it dry out.

Long ago, I had been told if there is grease or oil migration, there is a leaking seal. Find it and fix it. I do have road grime build-up and that is easily cleaned. Anytime I'm under the car for an oil change, I'll inspect and see what may be potential problems ahead.

The parts that i tend to clean with regularity are the oil filter area, around the oil filler cap and road grime build-up just behind the main fan. Other than that, the engine compartment remains pretty clean. The engine undercover does help in this regard too.