LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'97 LS400 - serious issue, possibly brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-12, 08:31 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '97 LS400 - serious issue, possibly brakes

Car has 167,xxx miles, new rotors (within 3 months), EBC RedStuff pads that are almost due for replacement.

I was leaving Memphis today on my 4 hour drive back home, when I approached a stoplight. I depressed the brake pedal firmly but not slamming it down, the pedal went to the floor and didn't release for a couple seconds, before coming back up and allowing me to depress it again to complete my stop. Freaking out a bit at this point, I immediately pulled into an empty parking lot to analyze the situation. I tried replicating the problem in the parking lot, but instead of the pedal hitting the floor, it depressed as it always does, but returned a grinding feel, accompanied by a faint, but similar, noise from the front left wheel.

At VERY slow speeds, as in 5 mph, the brakes seemed fine. Anything around 10 or above, and the grinding sound would be introduced. I called a friend who was nearby (and a gear head) to have him come look at it. We drove it around the neighborhood between 20-30 mph, and of course, couldn't replicate the problem. There was no fluid anywhere, appeared to be nothing missing, the car never showed the "ABS" light and nothing else seemed the matter. He suggested I should be fine to make it home, so I took his advice and left. Not 5 minutes later, the grinding went from tolerable to terrifying. I inadvertently ended up going the wrong way in downtown Memphis, and when I'd hit the brakes, it sounded like a metal-on-metal grinding, crunching, bending sound, as best I can describe it. The steering wheel never shook and the car didn't pull to either direction. I stopped once for fuel, using engine braking as much as possible, but pulling into the gas station, the sound had intensified and was clearly audible from both inside and outside of the vehicle. I managed to avoid hitting the brakes but two more times between Osceola, Arkansas and my home, a bit over 3 hours away. I noticed that when stopping for the first of those times, the grinding sound had somewhat of a pulse to it, as in, it got "faster" and "slower" depending on my speed. The sound was also present, though not nearly as loud, under acceleration and at highway speed.

I looked it over again when I got home, and the wheels weren't any warmer than usual, no kind of burning or rubber smell, still no fluid, no visible damage to anything, and at no point did the car ever seem to hesitate inducing forward motion.

Any ideas? Taking it to a shop ASAP, but I'm honestly afraid to even drive it, as bad as that sound was.
Old 06-24-12, 08:42 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Who did your brake work? The problem sounds like it's going to be very obvious when you pull the wheels and take a look around. Do that first. Don't drive it. Maybe the safety pins were not reinstalled in the pad spring pins allowing them to possibly vibrate out.

I alway's go for OEM parts on everything, especially brakes. Not saying that is your problem, just the way I am.
Old 06-24-12, 08:49 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

The shop that did my brake work was the shop that's done lots of other work on my car. Recently, they had found that that particular caliper needed some kind of pin assembly(?) kit because it had basically lost one of the pins at some point down the road. Now that you mention it, I'm almost wondering if that's what it might have been...those new pins having fallen out. They're located all of 3 minutes from my house, but driving it even that far seems risky. When it's daylight tomorrow, I'll see if anything looks different between the driver and passenger side caliper assemblies.
Old 06-24-12, 09:16 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

jack it up and pull it apart, see what's going on and report back.
Old 06-24-12, 09:17 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Pull the wheels and look, each caliper has 2 pins holding the pad springs down.

On my car the safety clip was no installed on the pins but they were still there. I just put a paper clips through them and twisted it up, all is well.
Old 06-24-12, 10:41 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take it apart. You can figure it out yourself. It sound like one of the pads may be done.
Old 06-25-12, 12:58 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

I'll put money on a jumped/broken pad. You either lost a pad while driving or one broke into pieces.
Old 06-25-12, 10:56 AM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Those who said broken pad were correct. I had no pad left on inner pad on the drivers side and the passenger side was almost gone. They were both EBC RedStuffs and never emitted any squealing prior to their dismissal. Also needing replaced is the driver's side rotors that I JUST BOUGHT a few months ago when changing from my winter to summer tire/wheel setup. New E-Line d/s rotor + ceramic pads for fronts from R1 Concepts was $100 shipped. Now I just have to wait four days for them to get here
Old 06-25-12, 11:34 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Glad to hear it was just a bad pad. Just wonderin, why didnt ya change the pads with the new rotors.
Old 06-25-12, 01:01 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cobalt91
Glad to hear it was just a bad pad. Just wonderin, why didnt ya change the pads with the new rotors.
In retrospect I should have, but money was tight at the time, and now it's cost me. No serious damage aside from that though, which is good, because I'm making an 11 hour drive to Ohio with it early next month.
Old 06-25-12, 01:35 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

whoa, glad you sorted it out. what i'm wondering is why the sensor on the brake pads failed to indicate that they were low via dash light. do you still have that senor intact?
Old 06-25-12, 02:22 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
whoa, glad you sorted it out. what i'm wondering is why the sensor on the brake pads failed to indicate that they were low via dash light. do you still have that senor intact?
Because the sensor is out on the right rear wheel and I've been staring at the warning light for years, basically ignoring it assuming I'd hear the squealing when it was time, as I had done in my Accord which had no such sensor. The more I delve into this, the more I realize this has become my fault entirely. Might as well fix that broken sensor too while I'm at it...
Old 06-27-12, 08:41 PM
bdan
Driver

Is it possible to drive on the Brake Wear warning light so long that it causes the sensor to forever show Brake Wear even after changing the brakes?
Old 06-28-12, 10:42 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by bdan
Is it possible to drive on the Brake Wear warning light so long that it causes the sensor to forever show Brake Wear even after changing the brakes?
yeah this is possible b/c the sensor was damaged despite the pads being replaced. you will need to replace the sensor, or you can eliminate it and you will need to monitor your pads the old fashioned way (not recommended).

to eliminate it:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...fix-ucf20.html
Old 06-28-12, 11:18 AM
RA010623
Pit Crew

my pad were not watch over by the previous owner also
when i picked up the car i changed the brake pads right away. They were not making noise but the braking did not feel very firm at all.
when i took brakes apart the pads were almost grinding on the brake sensor.
i changed to some posi quiet brakes and all is better.

Quick Reply: '97 LS400 - serious issue, possibly brakes