LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Drivers Seat Search and Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-12, 12:02 AM
rawff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers Seat Search and Suspension Question

Had this car for a while now and want to keep it but it will need a new drivers seat and a new suspension. Where can I find a replacement seat? And what recommendations do people have as far as replacing the suspension? I've seen shock/spring set ups that say they replace the air ride system. Do they work? The car is 22 yrs old and I don't want to spend a load of dough on it but the damn engine is so strong still with 167k on it and the body is still in good shape. So once I figure out how much those items are going to cost me, then I will decide whether to do the work or just run it into the ground as is.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sorry! This is in regards to my 1990 LS400.

Last edited by rawff; 05-28-12 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 05-28-12, 04:46 AM
Dream005
Driver School Candidate

If you search the LS400 forum on the suspension you will find a lot of good info. I am going through the same issue, Air suspension sagging on the rear and want to replace it before it goes out. I am going with the BC coilovers as my replacement because I just put 20" wheels on and I want to lower it and still keep a good ride.

But there are a lot of options. What I found in my search was the least expensive way to go (that still gets good reviews) was the Strutmasters Air Conversion kit. It keeps it at stock height and most reviews I read say it keeps the stock ride.

There is also a lot of coilover options also. Megan EZ, Megan LP, BC racing are the 3 most popular and have the best feedback. With a coilover set up you will have a lot more options, You can lower the car and set dampening levels for ride quality and performance. The Megan EZ are not much more then the Strutmaster Conversion kit and most people on the forum are very happy with them. The Megan LP's and BC racing have more levels of dampening and have pillowball mounts. People on the forum seem to be very happy with these also, but the are more expensive. There is a lot to consider when taking the air suspension. If you ever plan on making modification I would recommend coilovers but there are a lot of things to consider before you make your decision.
Old 05-28-12, 02:44 PM
rawff
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info, Dream. My main concern is cost. I don't want to put a bunch of dough into this car as it's my 3rd car. I also don't want to put more into it than the car is worth. But like I said, the engine's a beast and I know it will be going for some time. As far as lowering it, this car is gonna stay stock.

I searched thru the forum after I posted and found a ton of info. Prolly gonna go with the strutmaster air ride replacement as you mentioned and then find an auto upholsterer to re-foam the drivers seat.

Thanks again!!
Old 05-28-12, 03:04 PM
Dream005
Driver School Candidate

Your very welcome. It took me a while to figure out what I wanted. I'm glad I can help.
Old 05-28-12, 09:47 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

strutmaster is overpriced considering it uses low-grade chinese-made shocks.

www.car-part.com find some cheap used OEM springs and splurge a bit on some new upper mounts and KYB shocks, will drive like brand new and you'll be in the hole for <$600. (springs shouldnt be >100/set, mounts vary on brand, shocks ~250-350/set).

if you aren't on OEM air then you can probably get by with just the shocks.

all of the above is provided you already have gone through the usual bushings (search/faq for more info).