LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How to override the factory air suspension settings

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-12, 09:28 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to override the factory air suspension settings

Those of us with the second gen. LS400 with factory air sus know that the days are numbered until we will either have to replace broken air sus parts (expensive) or convert the entire system to a more traditional setup like struts and coil springs. Those with deeper pockets may replace the factory air sus system with coil-overs or go all out with an air-bag setup. My question is this: isn't there a way to lower the car past the "normal" setting without removing or modifying anything? I know you can buy after-market air sus controllers from Japan that can do this but they are also quite expensive. Is there a way to MANUALLY override the system and acheive the same results?
Old 05-24-12, 04:42 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

yeah by playing with the height sensors.

but the bags will blow very quickly if you try to drive them low. talking weeks here, generally.
Old 05-27-12, 09:06 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
yeah by playing with the height sensors.

but the bags will blow very quickly if you try to drive them low. talking weeks here, generally.
Thanks PD, but then how do the aftermarket controllers work? Don't they also 'deflate' the bags lower than the factory settings? Years ago when I was living in Japan I had a 1986 Toyota Soarer with factory air and the previous owner had installed an air sus controller. Worked great for a while but the air bag eventually popped and Toyota wanted $1,000 each...this was in the late 90's. Cheers.
Old 05-27-12, 02:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

same deal.
Old 08-09-12, 06:44 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Why can't auto makers just offer this as an option or just lower them all like BMW? So the same dilema begins again. How to achieve the lowered stance without going broke in the process? Not to mention you always have to think about the age/condition of the car as well as resale value. What might look good to me may make the car undesirable to others. With this '98 it looks like I got 5 options. 1) leave it alone and hope the air sus lasts as long as I keep the car, 2) remove air sus completely and replace with sport springs and new struts, 3) get a DataSystems controller from Japan and hope a bag doesn't blow, 4) go with an adjustable coilover setup, or 5) replace with an air ride or air runner airbag system. This is the last (and most expensive) choice of course. What to do.....

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 08-09-12 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-09-12, 08:54 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to figure out what you want to do with your car. Essentially you can put everything back to stock if you're going to sell it. Stock = all possible buyers, modded = us car enthusiasts...

1. Most likely will not last as long as the car for sure, EXPECT the bags to blow
2. Going with this you won't have the ability to adjust the height to your liking.
3. Getting this and EXPECT the bags to blow anyway but enjoy them while you can.
4. Last longer than OEM bags but doesn't have the pleasure 1 button and cabin adjusting heights.
5. Expensive and I really don't know how reliable (time wise) aftermarket bags will last.

Honestly what i'd do if i have stock bags in my car is to get DataSystems controller and ride until the bags decide to fail on me. Hopefully by then i will already have enough money to buy a good set of coilovers or possibly air ride runner systems. Like i said, do you plan to adjust your height often or do you know what you want to do with your car?
Old 08-09-12, 11:14 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Honestly what i'd do if i have stock bags in my car is to get DataSystems controller and ride until the bags decide to fail on me. Hopefully by then i will already have enough money to buy a good set of coilovers or possibly air ride runner systems. Like i said, do you plan to adjust your height often or do you know what you want to do with your car?
Excellent points a3. To be honest I was kinda leaning in that direction as well. Like I mentioned to PD, one of the cars I had in Japan had an older version of the datasystems controller and I wasn't even driving the car when the bag blew. I was parked, showing off to friend - raising the car up and down and then...pow! I can get the controller via my Japanese bro-in-law for about half what they cost here in the states. San Diego has crappy streets anyway so most of the time I'll just slam it when it's parked just cause it looks cool and pump it back up when it's time to drive. That SHOULD make my bags last a little longer.
Old 08-09-12, 11:22 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

to reiterate you do need to find out your goal with your car. best bang for buck is coilovers. do it right the first time, so start saving. a controller can only go so far and speed up the deterioration of your bags. if you really want to keep air and go low, go aftermarket. they are very reliable if done properly.

reason BMW looks lower is b/c they design their fender-to-tire ratio to be closer than the competition. the ground clearance is still the same between them. newer cars are learning and designing a better stance from the factory, but remember car manufactures have to cater to a wider range of buyers, not just us enthusiasts. for instance some cars see snow, and will need fender clearance for snow chains.

around here, all the BMWs that normal people drive always have busted front ends from not knowing how low the nose is to the curb/parking block.
Old 08-09-12, 03:51 PM
NTRUDA
Rookie

I have a 91 ls400 with over 234k on it and it came with the air suspension and I just replaced it with regular springs and struts, i would've gone with coilovers but I figured that will be something i can do on my next lexus that I purchase. Like many have been saying, it depends on the goals that you want for the car. my goal was to restore the ride and height so I just went with regular struts and coils. but whatever your decide to do have a goal and a plan for your car and how long you plan to keep it...good luck....
Old 08-10-12, 07:44 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NTRUDA
I have a 91 ls400 with over 234k on it and it came with the air suspension and I just replaced it with regular springs and struts, i would've gone with coilovers but I figured that will be something i can do on my next lexus that I purchase. Like many have been saying, it depends on the goals that you want for the car. my goal was to restore the ride and height so I just went with regular struts and coils. but whatever your decide to do have a goal and a plan for your car and how long you plan to keep it...good luck....
Yeah, this is currently my "second option" after the controller but I am having a hard time locating lowering springs and struts to make the swap. Strutmasters sells a kit for around $800 but they come with standard length springs and I am not into chopping springs. Been down that road before. Of course for about $300 more I can get some Megan coilovers but honestly I am not the type to be adjusting the height (by hand) every other day. Basically I am cheap and lazy.
Old 08-10-12, 07:47 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
to reiterate you do need to find out your goal with your car. best bang for buck is coilovers. do it right the first time, so start saving. a controller can only go so far and speed up the deterioration of your bags. if you really want to keep air and go low, go aftermarket. they are very reliable if done properly.

reason BMW looks lower is b/c they design their fender-to-tire ratio to be closer than the competition. the ground clearance is still the same between them. newer cars are learning and designing a better stance from the factory, but remember car manufactures have to cater to a wider range of buyers, not just us enthusiasts. for instance some cars see snow, and will need fender clearance for snow chains.

around here, all the BMWs that normal people drive always have busted front ends from not knowing how low the nose is to the curb/parking block.
yeah, saw a guy in an Audi crunch his lower valance on a curb stop the other day. He did not look happy.
Old 08-10-12, 08:12 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
Yeah, this is currently my "second option" after the controller but I am having a hard time locating lowering springs and struts to make the swap. Strutmasters sells a kit for around $800 but they come with standard length springs and I am not into chopping springs. Been down that road before. Of course for about $300 more I can get some Megan coilovers but honestly I am not the type to be adjusting the height (by hand) every other day. Basically I am cheap and lazy.
strutmasters is overpriced considering they use cheap, low quality shocks.

you can piece together a setup using brand new KYBs and some used OEM springs and new topmounts for less/same as strutmaster. (250-350 for KYB shocks, ~$100-150 tops for oem springs (250-300 for some H&R for a mild drop), $60 for all the isolators/bump stops, and ~$160 for new KYB upper mounts.)

but if you want to drop the car, megan or BC coils are your best bet.
Old 08-10-12, 10:18 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
strutmasters is overpriced considering they use cheap, low quality shocks.

you can piece together a setup using brand new KYBs and some used OEM springs and new topmounts for less/same as strutmaster. (250-350 for KYB shocks, ~$100-150 tops for oem springs (250-300 for some H&R for a mild drop), $60 for all the isolators/bump stops, and ~$160 for new KYB upper mounts.)

but if you want to drop the car, megan or BC coils are your best bet.

Good tips as usual, PD. Even with the parts you listed we are still approaching the same price range as a basic coilover setup. Labor to do either job comes out about the same too. Guess I am just not sold on coilovers cause I've never had them on any of my vehicles.
Old 08-10-12, 10:40 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

If i were you i'd pick up a used set of coils and do the installation myself. It's really easy with the right tools. About 6-800 you can get what you really want.
Old 08-10-12, 11:32 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by akitomk3
If i were you i'd pick up a used set of coils and do the installation myself. It's really easy with the right tools. About 6-800 you can get what you really want.
Well, I've done plenty of suspension work in my garage over the years with different cars but that was always with springs/shocks. This would be new territory for me. Do the air struts or coilovers need to be compressed before removal/installation?

Quick Reply: How to override the factory air suspension settings