LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New Lexus Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-12, 09:29 PM
eldookay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Lexus Owner

Hello everybody. I am new to the world of Lexus and finally found and bought my first, a 1993 LS400. I have been wanting a lexus for the past month or so and decided I will find and buy one. Finding one in my budget that was clean was going to be challenging but waiting and being patient paid off. The car is a 2 owner vehicle that is super clean. It has 155k miles on the clock and a stack of Dealership service records. It has a few issues such as the O/D light is flashing which is probably because the speedo and odometer are not working (suspecting bad speed sensor), the A/C isnt blowing cold, and the tach needle is not lighting up. I have yet to touch the car as I had my parents secure the car for me where they live, I am just waiting for a good weekend to go and pick it up. Best part about it I only paid $1375.00 for it. Well enough of the chit chat on with the pics...
Attached Thumbnails New Lexus Owner-yup.jpg   New Lexus Owner-uh.jpg   New Lexus Owner-sure.jpg   New Lexus Owner-mail.jpg  

Last edited by eldookay; 05-19-12 at 09:31 PM. Reason: information addition
Old 05-20-12, 04:41 AM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bad wheel speed sensor will cause the trac and abs light to come on, not the overdrive. Also your speedo would probably still be working if it was just that.
Old 05-20-12, 07:04 AM
ocr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wires for the O/D could be loose. Check that first, that's my recomendation.

Actualy, is it dropping from 4th to 3rd when the light comes on? If so, then I would check for loose wires. If not, then IDK.
Old 05-20-12, 07:10 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Welcome and Congrats, looks like a nice one....
Old 05-20-12, 07:39 AM
eldookay
Driver School Candidate

I was refering to the sensor in the transmission not the wheel speed sensor. Sorry for the confusion. I do not know if it is shifting into over drive or not. I do know that I will start the drain and fill for the transmission when I go to pick the car up though. My dad was also able to get the a/c working today after replacing an o-ring and topping off the refrigerant.

When you say the O/D wires are loose are you refering to the switch wires or down on the transmission. My dad said when he drove the car with the OD turned off the light did not flash however with O/D turned on the light was flashing. He did say the cars shifting was totally different between o/d being off and on. While I am under there I will check out all the wiring to the transmission and make sure nothing popped loose.

Another thing to add the gauge cluster was already pulled and sent off to Jim Walker in California according to the stack of paper work my parents have.

Last edited by eldookay; 05-20-12 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-22-12, 12:08 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Nice choice! looks good. Sounds like a really good deal. Welcome.
Old 05-22-12, 08:38 AM
xinkid
Rookie

when I was that young, I also drove a 15 year old corolla wagon without a/c and it was just fine even in a hot summer day, lol... I think you will enjoy it! nice car!
Old 05-22-12, 08:56 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats and nice pick up! That car looks to be in great condition! Leather looks remarkably crack free and carpet doesn't look like it's been through a zoo and back. Hope you get the issues resolved soon.
Old 05-22-12, 10:37 AM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyota Type IV tranny fluid only..
Old 05-28-12, 07:18 AM
eldookay
Driver School Candidate

Ok I picked up the car this weekend in Oklahoma City and drove it back to Conway Arkansas. It was a great trip. My son rode back with me in the LS400. No complaints, my dad was able to recharge the A/C and it is still holding a good charge and is nice and ice cold. The car did great other than the Speedo not working. The O/D light started flashing right off the bat. I ended up checking the codes and its tripping a code 42. Yesterday I was able to climb up under the car and noticed that only one wire was still attatched to the sensor. I removed the connector and luckily had some extra toyota harnesses from past cars laying around. I depinned the suspect connector and re installed pins that had decent lengths of wire left on them so I can splice the wires back together and hopefully have a working speedometer again. I am also gonna have to remove the power steering pump air control valve and seal it off with something. Than I will cap the vacuum lines. I am hoping the dealership is open today so I can get some trans fluid and start the drain and fill flushing of the transmission.
Old 05-28-12, 07:45 AM
Dream005
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like a good pick up. Congrats and have fun.
Old 05-28-12, 07:18 PM
eldookay
Driver School Candidate

Alright update time...I spliced in the connector for the speed sensor. I now have a working speedometer/odometer. I also removed the ECM for an inspection. I had one leaky cap I went ahead and replaced it and some others while I was in there that could have been suspect. Holy moly the car moves now. I brought it home and did the first drain and fill on the trans. The fluid that came out looked like used motor oil. I dont think I have ever seen trans fluid look that bad. Got lucky on the drain bolt it didnt strip out at all. Bought 4 quarts of Type T4 or whatever it is from the dealership so I have enough for another drain and fill. On the last drain and fill I will pull the pan and replace the filter too. This car is deffinately one of the nicer cars I have ever driven on a luxury sense and just over all build quality. I think it will be around for many years to come.
Old 05-28-12, 11:53 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Sorry, new t lexus. Wich cap are ya refferin to?
Old 05-29-12, 08:35 AM
eldookay
Driver School Candidate

The leaky capacitor in my case was one of the 100uF caps. I replaced both of those, the 220 uF and the 50 uF capacitors. I would not do this if you have little to no soldering skills at all. The circuit cards in our ECMs are Multilayered and the caps have plated through holes. If you are trying to do this with a radio shack soldering iron give up before you try.
Old 05-29-12, 09:49 AM
91LS400vgb
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice looking car - it looks like you did really well