LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Why I hate this car! (not really)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-12, 10:27 AM
matchesLS
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile Why I hate this car! (not really)

My story first. This is my fisrt "luxury" car, my previous vehicle was a 1991 4X4 dodge 2500 diesel. I also currently own a 2004 Dodge Diesel 4X4 and a 2003 Toyota Camry. The old Dodge had 230k miles on her when I recently sold it. The Camry has 170K miles and the "new" Dodge, new to me, has 93k miles. All of these have been great vehicles. So then I decide to buy the ultimate car for the money, the LS400. After much shopping around I found a 1995 LS400 with 88k original miles. The original owner was selling her car because she was moving to the mountains. After a carfax and a test drive, I decide I can't pass it up. I pay her the $6000.00 and I drive the car 250 miles home absolutley falling in love with it.
So on to why I hate the car. Number one reason, it is too quiet. I hear everything with this car! Every little rattle, strange noise, and so on. It drives me nuts! Driving diesel engines you don't hear much of anything other the rattle of the engine. And you know what they say "ignorance is bliss". The second, it is too smooth! I don't realise how fast I'm driving, and I can feel every little vibration the car makes. Again, I am not used to this. Lastley, I don't get to stop at my favorite places as much. The car averages better the 22mpg so I have to stop less at the pump. This leaves me very thirsty and hungry at times and I find myself stopping just for a drink or to use the restroom.
I guesss over time I will become used to these new "problems" but until then I will just make do.
Old 05-17-12, 11:54 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hahaha 1st world problems! Welcome and congrats! My 1993 is remarkably smooth and quiet even given it's age, mileage and previous owner deferred maintenance.
Old 05-17-12, 12:02 PM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol, your right they are exceptionally quiet, minus my little growl from my f-sport intake. but if your missing that marble noise like your diesel let it run low on oil and you'll have your noise back,lol. enjoy.
Old 05-17-12, 12:20 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came to this thread expecting scathing reviews of the ls400.
I will leave this thread with my ls400 faith renewed
Old 05-17-12, 12:44 PM
matchesLS
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks! Yeah it's a great car and hopefully will treat us well for many years to come.
Old 05-17-12, 01:31 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

most toyotas insulate their cars very well. for this i commend them but i understand the downside of not hearing the road. honda/acura are a lot more noisy and it was engineered this way on purpose, to give feeback to the driver. this is where they shine, as it's more of a drivers' car. nonetheless the LS being the flagship of lexus, you'll get ultra luxury, which isolates you from the road! welcome to the family, and post pictures when you can.
Old 05-17-12, 01:45 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CANDYAPPLE
lol, your right they are exceptionally quiet, minus my little growl from my f-sport intake. but if your missing that marble noise like your diesel let it run low on oil and you'll have your noise back,lol. enjoy.
"f-sport intake"

explain please.... F-Sport doesn't make any fun stuff for cars this old.
Old 05-17-12, 04:54 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, this car is much quieter than my 89 Firebird. Mine has started rattling lately, it seems to be coming from the ceiling towards the back of the car. My screen in the back window must have pulled something loose. It's starting to drive me crazy, but I try to ignore it. I get a slight vibration above 65 on the freeway, but I feel like it is probably just my tires. I think I need to go get my tires rotated and balanced, since a prank war I entered with some coworkers resulted in the air being let out of my back tires. I drove about a block before realizing my tires were flat, and I fear I may have tossed a weight or two.

But other than that, this car is an exceptionally comfortable ride on the highway. I get a little wind noise, but not much road noise(unless driving in Arizona.....). Once I get some more money, I think I'm going to have my AC looked at. It's not blowing very cold anymore. I recharged it almost 2 weeks ago, and it blew ice cold for a week. Now it's blowing a little warm again. Either gotta fix the AC or put in cloth seats, lol.

It's a cool 98 outside right now.

EDIT: Also, I can see anywhere between 22-27 MPG on the highway with this car, driving 70 mph. That includes spirited driving through the mountains. The city however, is where it falls flat on its face for mileage.
Old 05-18-12, 03:20 AM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by puredrifter
"f-sport intake"

Explain please.... F-sport doesn't make any fun stuff for cars this old.
lol, i meant on my car, but speaking about lexus in general, very quiet smooth cars. My last car had a 3 in exhaust headers, and no cat, so like him going from all that noise to a quiet *** lexus is different.
Old 05-18-12, 10:25 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts

OP, I know exactly what your talking about. Every squeak and rattle is heard, but that just makes it so much easier to find them.

Like today I fixed a buzzing noise coming from the air bag.

Why would Lexus put this loose piece of plastic there? Removed it and noise gone. Also fixed a rattle from the driver side B pillar, a couple of clips weren't snapped in.