LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Door lock actuator help

Old 04-22-12, 12:09 PM
ravig292
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door lock actuator help

2000 Ls400
I want to change the motor out on my front door lock actuator because i do not want to go through summer opening my door with a the key anymore. I took off the door panel and now im stuck. I have no idea what to do to get the actuator out. I haven't found any LS DIYs on this. I have seen the 2GS DIY but i want to know if its similar. Do I really have to take out the mirror and the window to get the actuator out? Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Old 04-22-12, 01:16 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

actuator is built into the lock assembly..... think it over.

a search would have found this: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=65944

Last edited by billydpowe; 04-22-12 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-22-12, 11:40 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

I didn't take out the mirror nor the window to get the actuator out. As you are experiencing that the rail for the window glass is blocking the actuator unit to get out and you are in a mood to remove the whole window. I understand you very well since I once had exactly the same experience and the problem.

You just need to unscrew the hexa-bolt which holds the rail. After removing the bolt you can move the lower part of the rail freely some and you can take out the actuator barely. Holding the rail by your left hand to the left as much as possible, grab the actuator by your right hand twisting and rotating it, you can manage to pass through it . The space between the moved rail and the inner side of the door is just the size of the actuator. So you need some patience to succeed it. I had some scratches at my right hand doing this but I was happy to fix the problem just cleaning the motor.

Below is one of my blog pages writing for my old American friends. I have taken some more photos but I haven't put the photo of the rail. May be I should add it soon.
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/mae_yas/1405005.html
Old 04-22-12, 11:56 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Yep Yamae nailed it. You have to remove the bolt at the bottom of the window rail, which gives you enough room to slide/jiggle the door lock actuator assembly out. Providing you have already undone all the other connections anyway. Its a bit stressful to do, but it'll come if you just keep working at it.
Old 04-23-12, 01:01 AM
Yamae

I just added a photo and an additional explanation to my blog page.
I think LS400 Gen2 is mostly the same with Japanese domestic model Celsior but I am not very sure.

Thanks mspearl95 for your help. Slide/jiggle are what I wanted to write. I should have studied English harder while I was working in USA.
Old 04-23-12, 12:10 PM
ravig292
Rookie

Billy, yea thats what i meant. I did not know how to take that out.

Yamae, thank you that explanation helps a lot. I have one more question. Are there anymore screws to the lock unit other than the 3 screws on the side?
Old 04-23-12, 12:36 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ravig292
Billy, yea thats what i meant. I did not know how to take that out.

Yamae, thank you that explanation helps a lot. I have one more question. Are there anymore screws to the lock unit other than the 3 screws on the side?
nope.....................
Old 04-26-12, 04:40 AM
ditch2
Driver School Candidate

same door went dead on me
Old 03-13-13, 11:10 PM
Yamae

Default How to fix rear door actuators (when clogged)

Those back seat doors have finally failed I just have fixed them.
Those were caused by carbon dusts again. Just cleaning them fixed the problem.
You can see the detail how to fix rear door actuators at my blog writing for my good old American DIY friends
here.
Old 07-06-13, 11:15 AM
ravig292
Rookie

Default Still stuck

okay not sure if I'm am doing it right or wrong but i have it half way out almost but I still feel something holding on to it. I haven't seen in any thread about taking the outside handle out cause thats the last thing holding on to this son of a b****. So am I suppose to remove it or what? I'm about ready to pull out a shotgun and blow this actuator out! (Or give in and pay lexus $600 to fix this!) If anyone has something new to say other than move the window rail left, it would be much appreciated!
Old 07-06-13, 12:14 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Wonder if this is my problem as well.
Old 07-06-13, 01:48 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

there is a rod going from handle to lock with a simple plastic lock by the handle (note: I was working on a 1994 LS) you must release this lock, I didnt and broke the lower connection at the lock and had to get another lock, luckily salvage..
Attached Thumbnails Door lock actuator help-door-handle-clip.jpg  
Old 11-09-13, 09:18 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
there is a rod going from handle to lock with a simple plastic lock by the handle (note: I was working on a 1994 LS) you must release this lock, I didnt and broke the lower connection at the lock and had to get another lock, luckily salvage..
I'm in the process of trying to get mine out and after some time fighting with it I decided to have a closer look. I've been following Yamaes instructions but he doesn't mention the rods that connect to the door handle. I can see the rods move when I pull on the handle but my question is do I have to remove the whole handle to remove the rods? Or is there another way to remove the rods through the door?
Old 11-09-13, 01:54 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

The little clips above, hold the rods to the lock, just pop them off.... if you cant see them... just feel them, one side is open, push there and it will swing away and the rod will slip out.... dont just GLANCE at the diagram, look and see what it shows you. Yamae probably figured us americans would have enough sense to take them off... cheers.
Old 11-09-13, 05:53 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Thanks I got the one off the cylinder and popped the clip off the rod for the door handle but it looks like its stuck somewhere in the handle. I say this because if I yank on the handle the actuator still moves up and down. I left it for tomorrow since I was running out of light.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door lock actuator help