LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Celsior Badges are a crime! (apparently)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-12, 11:43 PM
radiokilla
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Celsior Badges are a crime! (apparently)

So I live in the SF Bay area and I have been pulled over twice (once a week) for having Celsior badges on my LS400. Apparently it's a huge issue because Friday night I was pulled over in Downtown SF by an undercover police unit for driving a "Grey Market Vehicle" then a second cop car and a motorcycle cop car were called over. LS400's and Celsiors are the same car....They asked me to step out of the car then searched myself and my 2 passengers on the grounds of "suspected smell of drugs" I have never drank/done drugs in my life and we were driving on Broadway in SF (Tons of people walking around on the sidewalks smoking etc.) It's just getting very frustrating No ticket but just getting hassled a lot.

I was also pulled over in Foster City for the same reason of having Celsior badges. In each instance I was driving less than 30 mph and not violating any traffic laws.

I don't understand why I am getting hassled so much considering tons of cars drive around badgeless...Even the LS400 was not equipped with an "LS400" badge unless it was installed by the dealer which was a rarity.

Just trying to vent
Old 04-15-12, 11:58 PM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so the cop says "i pulled you over because your car is badged a celsior"?
cops be reaching to pull over anybody for any reason. smh.
Old 04-16-12, 07:53 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you probably just got unlucky with the cops you got. I've been running a shaved trunk for over a year now and the most it's done is get me out of a couple parking tickets
Old 04-16-12, 08:14 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by radiokilla
I have never drank/done drugs in my life and we were driving on Broadway in SF (Tons of people walking around on the sidewalks smoking etc.) It's just getting very frustrating No ticket but just getting hassled a lot.
THAT'S why you were pulled over in Calif.; you're just going to have to straighten up, man.
Old 04-16-12, 11:23 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

wow i always imagined that our cars were associated with the mafia, the mob, or yakuza. i never knew it was true, esp stateside!

to the OP, it could just be a coincidence in your city that they are associating big sedans with crime and law breaking.
Old 04-16-12, 11:51 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

That is why you need to put on BMW or MB badges.
Old 04-16-12, 03:06 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your car lowered? He may have thought you were pulling one of Steve Martin's stunts from My Blue Heaven.
Old 04-16-12, 04:12 PM
awdandrwd
Driver

You are probably fitting in some profile they have defined for some reason. Does the car really stand out that much? The City is usually pretty mellow as far as cops go, but then again it's been a while since I was 20.

Stan
Old 04-16-12, 06:06 PM
S30ZG
Pole Position

Damn that sucks Mike! I've been pulled over 5-6 times for no front plate by several different police municipalities, luckily no tickets so far! (knock on wood)
Old 04-16-12, 07:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i get pulled over way more than that, usually because cops wanna make sure i'm not a dealer/affiliated (area where my school was) and because my car's sorta loud...
Old 04-16-12, 09:37 PM
radiokilla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
wow i always imagined that our cars were associated with the mafia, the mob, or yakuza. i never knew it was true, esp stateside!

to the OP, it could just be a coincidence in your city that they are associating big sedans with crime and law breaking.
I had just driven out of chinatown heading towards north beach which is the "italian" part of the city.....I'm white lol

Originally Posted by RA40
That is why you need to put on BMW or MB badges.
Yep im definitely gonna do that now haha jk

Originally Posted by mikes7ke
Is your car lowered? He may have thought you were pulling one of Steve Martin's stunts from My Blue Heaven.
Yes its very very low. haha I havent seen that movie but ill check it out

Originally Posted by awdandrwd
You are probably fitting in some profile they have defined for some reason. Does the car really stand out that much? The City is usually pretty mellow as far as cops go, but then again it's been a while since I was 20.

Stan
I do have a somewhat loud exhaust and it is very low.

Originally Posted by S30ZG
Damn that sucks Mike! I've been pulled over 5-6 times for no front plate by several different police municipalities, luckily no tickets so far! (knock on wood)
I always get pulled over in my LS for stupid things like this! im glad you havent gotten any tickets!

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
i get pulled over way more than that, usually because cops wanna make sure i'm not a dealer/affiliated (area where my school was) and because my car's sorta loud...
Maybe they were just seeing if i was a drug dealer or something, its so dumb though...I can't go anywhere in my car without getting followed etc. and here I thought it was generally regarded as being an old grandpa/grandma type of car....
Old 04-16-12, 10:54 PM
whit3b0y
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take it youve never tuned a honda. Ive been pulled over twice since i got my ls400 two years ago. One time deserved second time mistake. first i had no plates and was driving home from buying it, car was searched. second i was pulled over for my lexus plates on a benze. he then realized it was a lexus. I know vehicular harassment and neither was it.
Old 04-17-12, 12:21 AM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

no, you got pulled over cus they don't know a celsior is a ls400. once they pulled you over, they decided to profile and fffff c k with you. down here in socal, we got gang unit knocking heads out for driving modded "yakuza" lexus.
Old 04-17-12, 12:39 AM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

AYEmike should know he get pulled over all the time by 714 cops
Old 04-17-12, 12:44 AM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sgv_bum
AYEmike should know he get pulled over all the time by 714 cops
just stay calm and say no to everything. then they'll let you go cus you''ll be worthless to their time

Last edited by AYEmike; 04-17-12 at 12:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Celsior Badges are a crime! (apparently)