LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Changing all of the front bulbs in 96 LS400 and maybe other years

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-02, 07:08 PM
Michaelbex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Changing all of the front bulbs in 96 LS400 and maybe other years

I recently read a thread setting out how to replace the hi/lo lights in the 96 LS400 which was extremely helpful and allowed me to change mine in less than 10 minutes. However, when I inquired as to how to change the fog lights I got no response. So, I got the bulbs anyway and went at it myself, so here is my experience if you need to do it.

To change the hi-lo bulb which is the 9003, on the driver’s side, just carefully pop off that plastic black cover in front of the battery. You will see the light grey plastic round cover that has lift tab on it. Just lift a little and pull out, it comes out pretty easily. Then you can move back the black rubber boot covering the whole thing. Then there is a little silver clip that holds the bulb in place with a screw at one end. Push down on the metal clip on the other end and that side will pop out and then you can just pull out the bulb assembly. Pull the old bulb out, put the new bulb in and do the whole thing in reverse to put it back. On the passenger side, you need to remove the long plastic cover that goes over the radiator. There is a 10mm bolt holding it down right under the first plastic cover you removed. Just take out that bolt and jiggle it up and out. Then it’s the same as the other.

To change the hi bulb, 9005, it is located just below the hi/lo bulb and you just turn grab it and turn it a corner turn and pull it out, replace the bulb and pop it back and.

To change the fog light, 9006, you will need to remove the entire parking light lens assembly that is to the outside of the main headlight assembly. There is a phillips screw right on top that connects the outside assembly to the main assembly via a little grey plastic tab extruding from the top. Just pull out that screw. Now you must be very careful. Holding the lens in place are two little plastic plugs on the outside, top and bottom and a hollow, “U” shaped tab on the left side (looking from the front) of the lens. In addition, you have the plastic tab that the screw came out of, holding the whole piece to the car. Be very careful not to pull hard because you don’t want to break any of these plastic tabs or the lens may no longer stay attached to the car, especially the main tab for the screw. Just start to pull at it lightly from the outside and work your way around the edges until it loosens, be careful, but it will come out. Now, just turn the parking light bulb (which by the way could be replaced now too (168/194) by turning it a quarter turn and pulling it out of the lens. Now, put the parking light lens off to the side. Now you can see behind the main headlight assembly and will see the “L” shaped 9006 fog light. Just turn it a quarter turn and pull it out, it’s really easy. Replace the bulb and put it back in. (Remember to never touch the bulbs with your hands and if you do, clean them gently with some alcohol). Now, replace the parking light bulb if you want to, or just put the old bulb assembly back in and turn it a quarter turn and then you can carefully replace the lens making sure the tabs line up properly with the respective holes and then replace the screw. Same goes for the passenger side. Then put the two plastic covers you removed (one in front of th battery and one over the radiator) and you are done.

It was really easy and if you get the Xenon bulbs, you can replace all three 9003, 9005 and 9006 with Xenons and then replace the parking light bulb (168/194) with a super bright white bulb and you will be set.
Old 05-20-14, 09:49 PM
Caniac14
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I am bookmarking this for reference when I get 5000k xenon bulbs for all my stuff.
This was very helpful and informative
Old 02-07-19, 08:42 AM
Teck83
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You rock!!

Thanks you SO much for posting this, you saved my life lol
Old 02-07-19, 10:14 AM
kambam3627
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for this! Was really informative! So many people on here over complicate things!
Old 02-08-19, 11:40 AM
Teck83
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You made it all possible

Can’t thank you enough for this post. You’re probably not around anymore to see this oh patron saint of the Lexus forum but from all those you’ve helped in years past and those you will help in the years to come... we salute you.