LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need 60K service on my LS. Need advices.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-02, 05:32 PM
sphereman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need 60K service on my LS. Need advices.

Hi

My LS just hit 60000 miles. Keyes Lexus recommended a 60k service for $1200. :O

Can someone please let me know what needs to be done at 60k?
I might just take my car to some independent dealer to have those done.

I did a search and apparently Longo is charging about 300 bucks for the 60k service. Would this include less services than the one Keyes is offering?? I will definitely take it to Longo if the service they provide is the same.

Thanks!!

Brian
Old 10-30-02, 10:26 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

PM Devildog.
Old 11-01-02, 08:28 AM
Pilot
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need 60K service on my LS. Need advices.

Originally posted by sphereman
Hi

Brian
I would not trust an independent dealer to do this service. Call around and talk to the area Lexus dealers. Find out what is involved with the 60K service, and their price. I am sure the transmission fluid with need to be changed, and this is a very special "Lexus only" synthetic fluid. Also I would not recommend any aftermarket air filters or oil filters. The factory OEM parts are what will keep your car in top shape. Also any new owner some day will put a premium price on any Lexus that has had only dealer service. This is logged thru the VIN number every time the car is serviced at any Lexus dealer.

Pilot
Old 11-01-02, 04:32 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not trust an independant shop?

Trust me, there is nothing in the 60k mile service that only a Lexus dealer can do. In fact a good import (Japanese + German etc) shop can do a better job on it than Lexus can. If you want to use only Toyota fluids and filters, that can be done, order them from Lexus-parts.com before you go into service and save yourself even more money! Ask around here on the site, plenty of people don't have these services done at Lexus. Just tell whoever does it exactly what it says to do in the maintenance schedule. Perhaps Keyes is adding all kinds of crap the car doesn't really need, and Longo is subtracting some. I wouldn't do any more or less than it says in the schedule. A Lexus isn't like a BMW or Volkswagen that it is so complicated any mechanic can't work on it.

Nothing wrong with not wanting to spend $1200 on the service, I wouldn't either.

Last edited by SW03ES; 11-01-02 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-01-02, 07:07 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: Need 60K service on my LS. Need advices.

Originally posted by sphereman
Hi

I did a search and apparently Longo is charging about 300 bucks for the 60k service. Would this include less services than the one Keyes is offering?? I will definitely take it to Longo if the service they provide is the same.

Thanks!!

Brian
:eek: :eek: :eek:

MAN... what is the deal. I did the 60k service on my 96 LS400 and it was more like $500, the 90k was $1200 and that INCLUCED the timing belt!!!

I now have a 99 LS400 and did NOT get a copy of the service interval cost sheet that I received with my CPO 96??? I will NOT be pleased if the 60k is $1200. I am about to call my Service Rep and find out...
Old 11-01-02, 07:21 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Well, I just called Sterling McCall Lexus here in Houston and was quoted $920... I don't remember the radiator flush and coolant change on the 96 but the rest sounded the same. I was using Westside Lexus with my 96 and that was where I did the 60k. For comparision I asked SM what they charge for the 96 and he said EVEN MORE>>> $1300.... WTF!!!

I am about to call Westside and asked pricing there. I wonder if there has been a big jump in service pricing to try to recap some lost profits due to the heavy discounting all dealers have been doing the last year plus.

I am NOT pleased... this is gouging...
Old 11-01-02, 07:34 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Ok, just called my old Service Rep at Westside. Their 60k on is $780... still expensive but $140 cheaper than Sterling. Interestingly, they do NOT do coolant at 60k. They do it at 45k and 75k. He also said that he knows Sterling does the timing belt at 60k on the 90-97 models!!! The factory changed the requirement on the 95-00 models to 90k on the timing belt. I BET your quote includes a timing belt.

This brought up more questions. My rep tells me the 90-94 was NOT and interference engine but the 95+ are. I believe the factory specified the timing belt change on the 90-94 at 60k!!!! This seems backwards as a timing belt failure on a NI engine is not critical where on an Interference engine it is catastrophic :eek:

Anyway, I had always assumed that the service intervals, work, and pricing was Lexus standardized. NOT SO. Each dealer creates there own!!!

Weird.
Old 11-02-02, 01:59 AM
oac3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 60K mile service

Check out the thread I started on it in the link below

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...K+mile+service

Bottom line is that the 60K mile service DIFFERS from dealership to dealership. You would think they are reading from the same book, but NO.... Not Lexus dealerships.... Some even come up with their own recommended service regime.... Uhmmmm !

Anyways, based only on my experience on my '99, as printed out for me by Carlsbad Lexus, here is the recommended 60K service FROM LEXUS:

Change
- Oil & Filter
- Cooling system
- brake fluid
- transmission fluid
- differential fluid
- fuel system
- battery inspection & service
- tire rotation
- tighten specific body & chassis bolts

Replacement items
- air filter
- air conditioning filter

maintanance items
- inspect fluid levels
- inspect drive belts
- inspect hoses
- inspect tire pressure
- inspect wiper blades
- inspect spare tire pressure
- inspect lights
- inspect body
- inspect paint
- inspect for corrosion
- inspect abs system and report
- re-torque drive shaft flange bolts
- inspect steering gear box & linkages
- inspect drive shaft boots
- inspect exhaust pipes & mountings
- inspect ball joints
- inspect dust covers
- inspect fuel tank cap
- inspect valve clearance 9audible)
- inspect timing belt

Miscellaneous
- road test
- check engine tune specifications

For all of these, carlsbad Lexus charges $770 + tax

I do agree that allof these service can be done at a foreign/import car service shop for a lot less cost, especially if you purchase the parts yourself.

BTW, at Tustin Lexus where I had mine done, the cost was $565 tax incl.

Hope all of the above helps